Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much weight should I lose / how much muscle to gain and what diet? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm 20, a guy, 5'8" and weigh 11 stone 5 lbs / 159lbs / 72.1kg

I don't look it, but I keep fit by cycling to Uni - it's 10 miles each way, and I walk the 25 minutes to work when I need to be in. I eat well but a bit over what I should.

Also after exercise, i am constantly hungry. So any calories I burn, I always seem to put back on. Yesterday, I had tea at about 6pm. I went out cycling from 7 to 9pm at a constant speed of about 20mph (32kph). I felt starving afterwards so I basically had another meal. So I had 4 meals in one day.

I'm fit, but I just have a poor diet and it's not making me any slimmer. Roughly how much weight would I need to lose for a nice toned looking belly? How do I start with gaining muscle too? What size weights are good to start with?

My thighs are quite big from cycling. There's a little fat on them but they're about 25 inches. I'd like my upper body to look more muscular.

Cheers

...pics attached...
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Motivation is the key to stuff like this, you cant build muscles and lose weight at the same time. If i were you id start with a good diet and go running twice a week. I used to do this and lost alot of weight quickly but got bored after 6 months n probably put it back on lol. Then when you feel you are slim enough begin the build of muscles eating alot of protein and working specific muscles. Maybe join and gym and go swimming if you can afford it. Theres no optimum size.

ReputationRep:
    Hey mate,

I'm 24 and 5'10 in height. At the start of the year, I was a similar to weight to you - around 72kg. I wanted to lose a bit of weight and get toned. Since January, I have been running approximately 4km every day 4 times a week. I've steadily increased the pace at which I run and reduced the time taken. Once I lost 2-3 kg, I started doing a few toning exercises in the gym - the ab-crunch machine (100-150 reps), chest exercises (50-75 reps) and doing floor exercises like the plank. Again, this was 3-4 times a week and, at the same time, I continued with my running. I know people will tell you to do either do cardio or muscle work, but my body seems to respond to a good balance between cardio and toning exercises. Importantly, I restricted my diet - I reduced my sugar intake (no coke, fizzy drinks, chocolate, sweets), only ate proper meals, no snacking and for the meals I tried to keep it healthy. Exercise and diet go hand in hand.

Right now, I'm 64kg and have managed reduced quite a lot of body fat. I still need to continue toning but my abs are definitely stronger and more prominent in my opinion. The chest area too isn't looking too bad. You have to really do what your body responds to - everyone is different. You just need to find that balance! I'm no expert, but I thought I'd just share what I've tried and to a certain extent, I can say that its worked. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superduper9)
    Hey mate,

I'm 24 and 5'10 in height. At the start of the year, I was a similar to weight to you - around 72kg. I wanted to lose a bit of weight and get toned. Since January, I have been running approximately 4km every day 4 times a week. I've steadily increased the pace at which I run and reduced the time taken. Once I lost 2-3 kg, I started doing a few toning exercises in the gym - the ab-crunch machine (100-150 reps), chest exercises (50-75 reps) and doing floor exercises like the plank. Again, this was 3-4 times a week and, at the same time, I continued with my running. I know people will tell you to do either do cardio or muscle work, but my body seems to respond to a good balance between cardio and toning exercises. Importantly, I restricted my diet - I reduced my sugar intake (no coke, fizzy drinks, chocolate, sweets), only ate proper meals, no snacking and for the meals I tried to keep it healthy. Exercise and diet go hand in hand.

Right now, I'm 64kg and have managed reduced quite a lot of body fat. I still need to continue toning but my abs are definitely stronger and more prominent in my opinion. The chest area too isn't looking too bad. You have to really do what your body responds to - everyone is different. You just need to find that balance! I'm no expert, but I thought I'd just share what I've tried and to a certain extent, I can say that its worked. Best of luck
    thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.