Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I was hoping that if anyone could advise me on this situation I'm in. I live by myself in a two-bedroom flat in Crookes, Sheffield which I moved in around March of last year. My gas and electricity are provided by E.ON and I've been paying bills to them every quarter.

However, I've been paying most of these bills based on estimates as I've only given them a meter reading on the day I moved in and just recently. The most recent bill I received from them is now amounting to more than £2,500. I called E.ON up and they told me that the bill is a catch-up bill as they've been underestimating my usage for the past 17 months. On average, this means that I've been using gas and electricity at nearly £150 per month.

Looking back at past bills, I do realise that some of them have been quite low. Thing is, I haven't had much experience with dealing with gas and electricity bills over here being an international student and thought that the estimates were a fair reflection of my usage.

Even then, however, I don't think that my usage would amount to such a high figure every month. I can understand such a bill won't come as that much of a surprise for a house with a few students living in it, but not for a single person in a two-bedroom flat. I don't use heating all that much (only time I can think of using a lot of it was only during winter) and I don't use gas for much else except for cooking on my gas hob. I don't use a whole lot of electricity either as it's restricted to basic stuff like lighting and appliances.

I've called E.ON up a couple of times but they're insistent that my bill is correct. They do realise though that my charges have been high and asked me if I have stuff like heated flooring and if I was running a fish tank! The flat I'm living in is very basic and much less modern then what a lot of other students are living in.

I really can't see how I'll be able to pay a £2,500 gas and electricity bill on a student budget. I was wondering if anyone had any similar situations and could advise me on ways to dispute this bill since I really think that I've been overcharged. And if so, what steps can I take in bringing this issue to any relevant parties that can help me? I'd greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Have you sent them your meter reading? This is the only way that you can be sure that your bill is accurate.

ReputationRep:
    Yup I gave E.ON my own reading before the most recent bill. However, this reading and the one when I first moved in were the only readings I gave them. Every bill that has come in between have been estimates by E.ON.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamikaze_1)
    Hi all, I was hoping that if anyone could advise me on this situation I'm in. I live by myself in a two-bedroom flat in Crookes, Sheffield which I moved in around March of last year. My gas and electricity are provided by E.ON and I've been paying bills to them every quarter.

However, I've been paying most of these bills based on estimates as I've only given them a meter reading on the day I moved in and just recently. The most recent bill I received from them is now amounting to more than £2,500. I called E.ON up and they told me that the bill is a catch-up bill as they've been underestimating my usage for the past 17 months. On average, this means that I've been using gas and electricity at nearly £150 per month.

Looking back at past bills, I do realise that some of them have been quite low. Thing is, I haven't had much experience with dealing with gas and electricity bills over here being an international student and thought that the estimates were a fair reflection of my usage.

Even then, however, I don't think that my usage would amount to such a high figure every month. I can understand such a bill won't come as that much of a surprise for a house with a few students living in it, but not for a single person in a two-bedroom flat. I don't use heating all that much (only time I can think of using a lot of it was only during winter) and I don't use gas for much else except for cooking on my gas hob. I don't use a whole lot of electricity either as it's restricted to basic stuff like lighting and appliances.

I've called E.ON up a couple of times but they're insistent that my bill is correct. They do realise though that my charges have been high and asked me if I have stuff like heated flooring and if I was running a fish tank! The flat I'm living in is very basic and much less modern then what a lot of other students are living in.

I really can't see how I'll be able to pay a £2,500 gas and electricity bill on a student budget. I was wondering if anyone had any similar situations and could advise me on ways to dispute this bill since I really think that I've been overcharged. And if so, what steps can I take in bringing this issue to any relevant parties that can help me? I'd greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.
    check that they are charging for metric and not imperial as this has been known to happen (if you are on metric of course, which i assume you are). If your gas meter has the letters fton the front, it's one of the old imperial ones, which means your reading needs to be converted. if your meter has the letter M, it's a metric meter and your bill shouldn't have a metric conversion factor on it - If it does, you are probably being overcharged.

Also, check you boiler is not on preheat as that uses a lot of gas (we have ours set to eco so it only comes on when we use it, meaning our bills are only £9 a month.
    do you switch everything off at the plug socket? Things like chargers eat away at electric.
    Check you are on their cheapest tariff which they should put you on by law and get them to come out and test the meters aswell - it might be connected to another property?
    how long have you been in the flat? Is the company aware you are a new tenant as they might be charging you for a previous tenants debts.

£150 a month is certainly excessive! it is £32 a month for me and my partner in a 2 bedroomed house built in the 1800's!
    Also, price comparison sites are your best friend

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Lemonzaz. My meter's in cubic meters and E.ON is charging based on that so its not being converted from the imperial format. Forgot to mention that the flat I'm living in is actually the ground floor of the house with the upstairs being another flat. The gas meter might be connected to both flats but I'll only find out when E.ON sends someone to check my meter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamikaze_1)
    Thanks Lemonzaz. My meter's in cubic meters and E.ON is charging based on that so its not being converted from the imperial format. Forgot to mention that the flat I'm living in is actually the ground floor of the house with the upstairs being another flat. The gas meter might be connected to both flats but I'll only find out when E.ON sends someone to check my meter.
    If that was true, which I highly doubt, it would still be ridiculously excessive. Are you sure they haven't taken meter readings for a few years rather than 17 months?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.