Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am 15 years old and I am a bi or les im not really sure but I am defiantly one of them. Anyway, Im wondering when should I come out because my parents are quite homophobic. I don't want to hurt their feelings or anything. Should I tell them when I finish uni?? Im afraid that they would disown me or treat me differently....what should I do

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to share it then don't. But if you feel best sharing it, then do! They are your parents and love you. It may be a shock to them, but they should support you.

but yeah, it's down to when you feel right about it

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest coming out when you're sure of your sexuality. If you don't know whether you're bi or lesbian, it's probably best to wait until know which one you are, particularly when your parents are likely to be quizzing you about it - they might not take you sincerely/seriously if you seem a bit confused.

I came out when I thought I was bi, but it turned out I'm gay; that ended up confusing some friends and some of them didn't take me seriously, as I was "bi the one day, gay the next". If you want to be taken seriously, you should be confident in your sexuality.

Your parents might be homophobic but that doesn't mean they will disown you or anything. They could treat you differently, but at the end of the day, they'll still love you. I have friends who had the problem of coming out to homophobic parents, but it ended up being a non-issue. I guess you could sort of think of it like telling your parents you're right-wing when they are left-wing and hate right-wingers.

If you are worried that they will do something drastic, you have to weigh up in your mind what is more important to you: being who you are, or staying in the current situation with your family.
    I also see no reason for you to care about how your parents feel. Even if you do care about their feelings, remember that they'll have to know one day or another.

(Original post by Treeroy)
    I would suggest coming out when you're sure of your sexuality. If you don't know whether you're bi or lesbian, it's probably best to wait until know which one you are, particularly when your parents are likely to be quizzing you about it - they might not take you sincerely/seriously if you seem a bit confused.

I came out when I thought I was bi, but it turned out I'm gay; that ended up confusing some friends and some of them didn't take me seriously, as I was "bi the one day, gay the next". If you want to be taken seriously, you should be confident in your sexuality.

Your parents might be homophobic but that doesn't mean they will disown you or anything. They could treat you differently, but at the end of the day, they'll still love you. I have friends who had the problem of coming out to homophobic parents, but it ended up being a non-issue. I guess you could sort of think of it like telling your parents you're right-wing when they are left-wing and hate right-wingers.

If you are worried that they will do something drastic, you have to weigh up in your mind what is more important to you: being who you are, or staying in the current situation with your family.
    I also see no reason for you to care about how your parents feel. Even if you do care about their feelings, remember that they'll have to know one day or another.
    Thanks for the advice

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.