velatrix0
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'd like to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Spanish for my a levels as they are my strongest subjects, but im worried that those subjects aren't relevant to computer science and may affect my chances of doing computer science at uni. Is it okay to continue with these choices or pick alternative subjects such as Physics, Maths, Spanish and Further Maths AS... I know these are more relevant towards computer science, but I would prefer doing the Bio, Chem, Maths and Spanish. I find physics difficult, but I know I can do it if I put in the work. Which subjects should I choose?
m00c0w
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm also looking to do Computer Science at University, and most of the universities I have looked at advise Physics as one of your A-Levels, as have most teachers at my school. That is not to say that you can't do CompSci at uni without it, it will just make life easier.
Oxford Computer Science Dept
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is an Oxford answer, but we're not too different to other top Unis for CompSci so I hope it's of use to you.

Our standard conditional offer for the straight CompSci degree is A*AA with at least an A in Maths. The A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. We only make offers based on three A Levels. We'd notice if you'd done more, but they wouldn't form part of the offer.

So in terms of subject choice, Maths is essential. As I'm sure you're aware Computing is a very mathematical subject. We are very much looking for students who have really developed their mathematical thinking. We think that Further Maths is the best preparation for our courses. We do know that not all schools offer it, so it's not compulsory. But it does make an application more competitive.

We suggest "a science subject such as Physics." But as M00c0w mentions above: it's just that; a suggestion, not a requirement. Biology, Chemistry are also good choices, and perfectly acceptable towards the AA bit of the offer. Just not the A* bit in the way Physics is.

A language such as Spanish teaches different skills. We quite often see (successful) applicants who'd done a language A Level as part of the mix. We'd be perfectly happy to see Spanish alongside two more relevant subjects (eg Maths and Further Maths.)

It's really important that you enjoy the subjects that you take at A Level. So yes, you could meet our standard conditional offer with the A Level combination you suggest. (Maths, Biology, Chemistry & Spanish). But you would be up against students who've got Further Maths, Physics or both. From our point of view swapping one of these subjects for Further Maths (so having Maths plus Further Maths) would make your application more competitive. Not doing Physics wouldn't a problem to us, as long as you've got lots of Maths in there.
velatrix0
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks, I don't think Physics would suit me as I subject I would do well in, so would Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Spanish look competitive to universities or Maths, Further Maths, Computing and Spanish?
Oxford Computer Science Dept
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry I didn't see you'd replied. We'd be happy with either of those combinations. You've got both Maths and Further Maths in there - that's the important thing.

You might find this guidance useful: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/...s.html#Subject Choice at School
MunaFuzzyG
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry this post is really late! But I am currently doing Maths, Further Maths, Computing and Spanish and what to know how it has gone for you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (26)
27.96%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (9)
9.68%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.45%

Watched Threads