Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I have been offered a job but the hours heavily clash with the hours I spend in sixth form.

I got my AS results yesterday. Not too bad, but have to retake two modules in A2. I really hate sixth form, and I don't really want to go to university. Should I just drop out of A Levels and work full time? I know a few people who have done this and is doing better than some university graduates.

Please, I need some advice. Will give rep points loool

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as work is very hard to come by nowadays, id prob say work if its got a future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JM1987)
    Seeing as work is very hard to come by nowadays, id prob say work if its got a future
    Full time medical receptionist? Reckon it has a future?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I really highly value an education, if you have the opportunity to study I would really recommend it. If a few years down the line you decide you would like to go back to it, it will be very difficult. There will always be receptionist jobs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PostgradMatt)
    Personally I really highly value an education, if you have the opportunity to study I would really recommend it. If a few years down the line you decide you would like to go back to it, it will be very difficult. There will always be receptionist jobs!
    <br />
    <br />
    Hmm thats true, never been so confused in my life ha

ReputationRep:
    You could take an apprenticeship. Do you want to drop A-Levels because you do not want to study at university (ie independent academic study is not for you) or just because you received the results that you were not happy with?

ReputationRep:
    I want to drop A levels because theres a chance that if I do get to uni, I wont be able to cope with the work and even if I do graduate theres a chance ill be unemployed. Also I live at home and if I work full time 23k a year is decent. Hmm

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally stick at it for another year. A-levels can still benefit you, even if you don't want to go to university. They are extra qualifications for your CV and at the end of the day, they're free for you to take while you're young. There are many people who wish they'd stay on in further education while they were young, as they now have to pay prices, quite expensive prices at that, to study certain courses. For example, there are ICT and modern languages courses that people take in order to enhance their CV and even because a job requires a certain qualification but these can be very expensive. I saw the price for someone to study French for an hour a week, and then realised how lucky I was that I could learn it for free at A-level.

Many people in my year dropped out of college/sixth form and took on a full time job. Fair enough, they're getting work experience, they've got a lot more money than me at the moment and they probably feel mature because they're working - but in all fairness, a lot of them are going to be stuck in those types of jobs. They're doing entry-level jobs with very little progression and while they're enjoying the money now, they've got another 50 years of working to look forward to and I'd personally find it quite tedious in a job without progression.

There are obviously exceptions to this, none that I can think of at the moment, but there probably will be. Apprenticeships are a great way to take advantage of free education while earning in the workplace - you won't be earning a huge salary to begin with, but you may prefer it. I'd personally have a look at some apprenticeships - they have them for many different sectors, they could even have one for working in a reception. At the end of the day, finishing your A-levels will take one year out of your life, you still have another 50 to work. My Dad actually said the other day that those who dropped out of further education while he was at school were better off at the time, but those who stuck in education were the ones who were able to progress in a career that they actually enjoy while the ones who dropped out jumped between entry level jobs all their life.

I'd personally take advantage of free education while you can, staying in further education doesn't always mean doing A-levels and going to university, vocational college courses and apprenticeships can help you learn skills and get yourself into a career than you can do for life, and will enjoy. If being a receptionist is something you're interested in however, then maybe this job would be a good opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deziah)
    I'd personally stick at it for another year. A-levels can still benefit you, even if you don't want to go to university. They are extra qualifications for your CV and at the end of the day, they're free for you to take while you're young. There are many people who wish they'd stay on in further education while they were young, as they now have to pay prices, quite expensive prices at that, to study certain courses. For example, there are ICT and modern languages courses that people take in order to enhance their CV and even because a job requires a certain qualification but these can be very expensive. I saw the price for someone to study French for an hour a week, and then realised how lucky I was that I could learn it for free at A-level.

Many people in my year dropped out of college/sixth form and took on a full time job. Fair enough, they're getting work experience, they've got a lot more money than me at the moment and they probably feel mature because they're working - but in all fairness, a lot of them are going to be stuck in those types of jobs. They're doing entry-level jobs with very little progression and while they're enjoying the money now, they've got another 50 years of working to look forward to and I'd personally find it quite tedious in a job without progression.

There are obviously exceptions to this, none that I can think of at the moment, but there probably will be. Apprenticeships are a great way to take advantage of free education while earning in the workplace - you won't be earning a huge salary to begin with, but you may prefer it. I'd personally have a look at some apprenticeships - they have them for many different sectors, they could even have one for working in a reception. At the end of the day, finishing your A-levels will take one year out of your life, you still have another 50 to work. My Dad actually said the other day that those who dropped out of further education while he was at school were better off at the time, but those who stuck in education were the ones who were able to progress in a career that they actually enjoy while the ones who dropped out jumped between entry level jobs all their life.

I'd personally take advantage of free education while you can, staying in further education doesn't always mean doing A-levels and going to university, vocational college courses and apprenticeships can help you learn skills and get yourself into a career than you can do for life, and will enjoy. If being a receptionist is something you're interested in however, then maybe this job would be a good opportunity.
    You're right. Thank you xx this helped alot

ReputationRep:
    Being a receptionist won't lead to any real career path, so yeah, just work really hard this year, get through it all, who knows, maybe you'll decide to go to university. If not, at least you'll have a solid set of qualifications backing you when you enter the world of work.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you hun thats great advice. Ive decided ima stay another year, hopefully I can bump up my D grades! Thank you xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Finish your A levels, you have the rest of your life to work. You need qualifications to fall back on, just in case if something goes wrong.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with Deziah because atm it might seem like having a job is the right option but really in terms of future prospects, qualifications are important and even if you don't want to go Uni, having A levels is better than having none. Also remember you have the rest of your life to find and look for jobs whereas this chance at education you won't ever get back because if when you're older you want to go and get some qualifications it will be really difficult compared to now however, you can't say the same for getting a job. Btw well done for getting the job. Also in regards to Uni, don't worry about not coping, seriously you just finished AS and I'm sure most people struggle with AS due to the jump so up your confidence and give yourself a chance. Good Luck with whatever you decide though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.