Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have a question about the Accounting AAT Level 3 Diploma course. I wanted to study Accountancy at Birmingham City University this year but unfortunately my A-Level results weren't good enough and I don't have enough UCAS points to get onto the course. I e-mailed Birmingham City University for advice asking what I should do in order to get a place for the Accountancy course next year and they e-mailed me back suggesting that I should do a AAT level 3 qualification at the Birmingham Metropolitan College as it counts as 160 UCAS points and therefore will enable me to gain a place for the course next year.

For the entry requirements for the course at Birmingham Metropolitan College it states that you must have already completed the AAT Level 2 Certificate in Accounting or equivalent. I have a grade C in A Level Applied Business and a grade D in A Level Media Studies, will this allow me to go straight onto the AAT Level 3 Diploma course despite not having the AAT Level 2 Certificate? Also how difficult is the AAT Level 3 course?

Link to course: http://www.bmetc.ac.uk/courses-and-t...education/1731

ReputationRep:
    the AAT don't require you to have done level 2 before starting at level 3. They have a skills test http://www.aat.org.uk/qualifications/aat-skillcheck to help people decide what level is appropriate. However if level 2 is a requirement of Birmingham metropoilitan College you would have to get them to accept your existing qualifications or find somewhere else to study. Lots of places do AAT but charges vary. Have you considered doing an apprenticeship before uni - you could get experience and complete level 3 at the same time

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marple)
    the AAT don't require you to have done level 2 before starting at level 3. They have a skills test http://www.aat.org.uk/qualifications/aat-skillcheck to help people decide what level is appropriate. However if level 2 is a requirement of Birmingham metropoilitan College you would have to get them to accept your existing qualifications or find somewhere else to study. Lots of places do AAT but charges vary. Have you considered doing an apprenticeship before uni - you could get experience and complete level 3 at the same time

good luck
    Ok thanks for the advice. Just another question, how difficult is the AAT level 3 course difficult bearing in mind I'm completely new to accounting and have not studied level 2?

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    level 3 is supposed to be A level standard and level 2 GCSE I believe, but as they are vocational qualifications it is harder to make a direct comparison. Traditionally people study AAT on day release while working as it is really made to be done while getting work experience. AAT suggest 305 hours of guided study for level 3 ( http://www.aat.org.uk/qualifications...-qualification ) so if you are doing it "full time" you would have a lot of time for private study to fill in any gaps in your knowledge. I think some colleges let you do level 2 & 3 in a year.

I would suggest talking to the AAT and to your local college. You can get AAT course books fairly cheaply and this would give you an idea of the standard and whether you would need to do level 2.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tekkerz)
    Hi,

I have a question about the Accounting AAT Level 3 Diploma course. I wanted to study Accountancy at Birmingham City University this year but unfortunately my A-Level results weren't good enough and I don't have enough UCAS points to get onto the course. I e-mailed Birmingham City University for advice asking what I should do in order to get a place for the Accountancy course next year and they e-mailed me back suggesting that I should do a AAT level 3 qualification at the Birmingham Metropolitan College as it counts as 160 UCAS points and therefore will enable me to gain a place for the course next year.

For the entry requirements for the course at Birmingham Metropolitan College it states that you must have already completed the AAT Level 2 Certificate in Accounting or equivalent. I have a grade C in A Level Applied Business and a grade D in A Level Media Studies, will this allow me to go straight onto the AAT Level 3 Diploma course despite not having the AAT Level 2 Certificate? Also how difficult is the AAT Level 3 course?

Link to course: http://www.bmetc.ac.uk/courses-and-t...education/1731
    Hi Tekkerz,

I am a representative of AAT, and noticed this thread - I thought I might be able to offer you some advice.

AAT does not set any entry requirements or prerequisites as such for each of the levels, it is ultimately up to the training provider to determine what they believe is appropriate.

As alluded to in a previous post, we offer the skills check questionnaire to help people determine this, but I would advise you to speak with the college directly, as they may have their own entry requirements.

The Level 2 Certificate in Accounting is comparable to GCSE level in terms of the level at which it is taught, however AAT is a skills-based qualification, and is therefore unique, and difficult to accurately compare.

I hope this helps to clarify matters, please let me know if you require further information.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.