Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People are so misinformed about the TV licence... Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...6054731AAKDpXo

Look at all the people saying he needs a TV licence and all the thumbs up. It's quite scary, really. Did the TV licence company con people into thinking they need one or just catching people out?

You do NOT need a TV licence if only using it for the likes of Netflix or playing PS3 games.. That's what I do and I declared it as such. But what do I get in my mail? A notice in BIG RED LETTERS "£1000 FINE MAXIMUM". (a letter warning me if I needed a TV licence or not if I was to watch live TV). Was that to scare me into buying one? Because I know my rights, I have researched it on the internet and it clearly states on the official page, as long as I don't watch live TV, I'm safe.

And before people say "as long as you potential to watch it, you have to", almost every device in modern history has a way to watch live TV. So the law had to change. Even if that was the case, how are they supposed to prove it? I don't watch live TV and never will but even if I did, are they gonna browse my internet history?

These "vans" are stupid also. I just don't see how they could work... I'm pretty sure, I don't have to let these employees into my house either.

Rant over.

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression that it was common knowledge that you were perfectly entitled to use your TV without a TV license so long as you weren't watching a live broadcast. Using a TV as a device to play PS3 games etc. is fairly common place so unless they have any strong evidence that you have been using it to watch a live broadcast then they really have no case so I wouldn't worry.

Also. As far as entry to your house goes I'm under the impression that unless these people have a warrant they have absolutely no rights to search your house.

If they say can we come in just say you don't have my consent to step on to my property and I am not legally obliged to speak to you. Same goes for a police officer. I get those red All The time hahaha and I would never let them come in make your you have your phone videoing them all the time same with police officer they hate that ****

ReputationRep:
      Urgh they're so dumb.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by techno-thriller)
      If they say can we come in just say you don't have my consent to step on to my property and I am not legally obliged to speak to you. Same goes for a police officer. I get those red All The time hahaha and I would never let them come in make your you have your phone videoing them all the time same with police officer they hate that ****
      Well, I've sent a declaration form. They apparently randomly knock at the door, so if I never answer it or I'm at work, they'll never find out. I'm surprised people don't try and get away with it even if they had the equipment. I've seen YouTube videos, some funny ones but sometimes you can tell they're just doing a job and the YouTube people are being dicks.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Michaelj)
      http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...6054731AAKDpXo

Look at all the people saying he needs a TV licence and all the thumbs up. It's quite scary, really. Did the TV licence company con people into thinking they need one or just catching people out?

You do NOT need a TV licence if only using it for the likes of Netflix or playing PS3 games.. That's what I do and I declared it as such. But what do I get in my mail? A notice in BIG RED LETTERS "£1000 FINE MAXIMUM". (a letter warning me if I needed a TV licence or not if I was to watch live TV). Was that to scare me into buying one? Because I know my rights, I have researched it on the internet and it clearly states on the official page, as long as I don't watch live TV, I'm safe.

And before people say "as long as you potential to watch it, you have to", almost every device in modern history has a way to watch live TV. So the law had to change. Even if that was the case, how are they supposed to prove it? I don't watch live TV and never will but even if I did, are they gonna browse my internet history?

These "vans" are stupid also. I just don't see how they could work... I'm pretty sure, I don't have to let these employees into my house either.

Rant over.
      The other thing they don't tell you is that you are allowed to watch live tv anywhere in the country without a licence as long as you are on a laptop, or any device not plugged into the mains (and how would they know if your laptop is plugged in)!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by slash2k0)
      The other thing they don't tell you is that you are allowed to watch live tv anywhere in the country without a licence as long as you are on a laptop, or any device not plugged into the mains (and how would they know if your laptop is plugged in)!
      Pretty sure it said that you can't watch live TV on mobile phone or laptop without a TV licence.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Michaelj)
      Pretty sure it said that you can't watch live TV on mobile phone or laptop without a TV licence.
      You're allowed to watch live TV provided your device isn't plugged in as it'll be covered by your parents license (that's assuming they have one of course).

You can read that here: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...students-aud1/

And as that other person said, they won't know if it's plugged in or not.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Elwyn)
      You're allowed to watch live TV provided your device isn't plugged in as it'll be covered by your parents license (that's assuming they have one of course).
      And assuming you live with them for a significant part of the year. I don't think I'd get away with that

Well, I would get away with it because they'd have no way of knowing.

ReputationRep:
      I had a rather unpleasant lady from the "Tv Licensing enforcement agency" knock on the door once (we didn't have a license) told her to come back when she had a warrant, she said "ok i will then" then went off huffing and puffing. Never heard from anyone again.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by slash2k0)
      Only if your permanent address is covered by a licence (and the mobile device is not plugged into the mains).

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.