Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

i want to do law at university and the A-level i am picking are psychology,law,finance and for the fourth A-level i was thinking of RE should i pick that.

please help

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    id recommend not doing psych... or law... or finance (srs)

not sure what you mean by re, but i recommend you pick phil+ethics (ocr)

ReputationRep:
    I took RE for AS and ended up with a D so I would be wary about picking it, especially if you want to do law at uni!

ReputationRep:
    R.E I hear is a very interesting course so yeah you should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherry_heart2047)
    Hey guys,

i want to do law at university and the A-level i am picking are psychology,law,finance and for the fourth A-level i was thinking of RE should i pick that.

please help

Thanks
    I would definitely recommend that you take RE! I did philosophy and ethics on the OCR exam board, and I loved it! It's a LOT of work though, so be prepared to write loads of essays I also took psycho, and its an amazing course, I wanna study it at uni

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I would recommend not to do law because it messes up your view slightly, and when you go to university you assume you know the jist of things when it is so much different. But if you have that in mind, well go for it.

I take Philosophy and Ethics, so I assume you mean this by RE? If so, it Is a good A-level, regarded highly by most universities and is good because it teaches you to remember large amounts of information and integrate it into your opinion/evaluation. You also have to understand with Philosophy and Ethics, which is good for law because you then know that there are more than one implications/sides to the story.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in R.E. at GCSE and because of that I thought I'd study it at AS level. I got my result yesterday which was a C, and I wasn't too pleased about it.

Truth is, the exam paper questions at GCSE level are COMPLETELY different to the alevel styled exam questions. If you want a good grade at A level R.E then you need to be really good at writing essays. If you dislike or aren't very good at writing essays then I'd suggest you don't pick it. On the other hand, if you enjoy writing essays (suprisingly quite a few people do), then it'd be a good subj for you

Sorry I went on abit, but hope it helped.

ReputationRep:
    NO!!! You don't have a "rigorous" subject there. Choose English Lit

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

please help

Thanks
    RE is a strong, respected essay subject so if you have an interest in it (I.e. you like debating ethical issues, etc.) then I think you should! It's nothing like GCSE. With my spec (AQA) you focus on more interesting aspects of religion such as debates surrounding euthanasia and abortion, the cosmological argument, psychology of religion, situation ethics etc.

I'd definitely recommend it if that sort of stuff appeals to you.

ReputationRep:
    thank you everyone for replying to my thread but i am just confused because i am stuck between to pick RE(religious studies) or history. can someone help and give me advise on this.

thank you

ReputationRep:
    thank you everyone for replying to my thread but i am just confused because i am stuck between to pick RE(religious studies) or history. can someone help and give me advise on this.

thank you
    by FAR phil+ethics
    not even debatable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weirdnessandcoffee)
    Honestly, I would recommend not to do law because it messes up your view slightly, and when you go to university you assume you know the jist of things when it is so much different. But if you have that in mind, well go for it.

I take Philosophy and Ethics, so I assume you mean this by RE? If so, it Is a good A-level, regarded highly by most universities and is good because it teaches you to remember large amounts of information and integrate it into your opinion/evaluation. You also have to understand with Philosophy and Ethics, which is good for law because you then know that there are more than one implications/sides to the story.
    I think Philosophy and Ethics falls under the Religious Studies specification focusing particularly on philosophical and ethical concepts (with religion and religious philosophers being considered) as opposed to on the more theological side; there are like 4-5 units that your college gets to pick basically.

To the OP why not take a look at the AQA syllabus and see if you find it interesting?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what units you do, I just did both the philosophy units for AS and it was very enjoyable. Also, it requires very little work, so that's an up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SampritB)
    Depends on what units you do, I just did both the philosophy units for AS and it was very enjoyable. Also, it requires very little work, so that's an up.
    i dont know what philosophy is. i dont think they do it at my college.

ReputationRep:
    I really do recommend RE A level, especially if you are interested in doing law. I did philosophy and ethics AS level (religious studies) and really enjoyed it. You also have to be able to appreciate both sides of an arguement and know how to criticise them so the skills you gain from doing it are valuable. It is a lot of work though and some people in my class ended up with Ds and Es after getting As at GCSE though so be prepared to revise a lot and it will work in your favour. Also, law seems to be a very snobby profession so I really would reconsider doing finance and law AS if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wild Nothing)
    I really do recommend RE A level, especially if you are interested in doing law. I did philosophy and ethics AS level (religious studies) and really enjoyed it. You also have to be able to appreciate both sides of an arguement and know how to criticise them so the skills you gain from doing it are valuable. It is a lot of work though and some people in my class ended up with Ds and Es after getting As at GCSE though so be prepared to revise a lot and it will work in your favour. Also, law seems to be a very snobby profession so I really would reconsider doing finance and law AS if I were you.
    Thank you for replying and i have a choice between history and RE,RE did look more interesting. unfortunately because i didn't do well in my AS i wasnt able do to law at university i have to retake the year again.i am picking finance,law and psychology again because last year i enjoyed them very much and know i can do better in them and i have to pick another AS subject and i wanted to do RE.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for replying and i have a choice between history and RE,RE did look more interesting. unfortunately because i didn't do well in my AS i wasnt able do to law at university i have to retake the year again.i am picking finance,law and psychology again because last year i enjoyed them very much and know i can do better in them and i have to pick another AS subject and i wanted to do RE.
    Ah ok, that's fair enough You should choose it!!

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in RE for AS (dropped 4 marks off unit 2 exam) and I'm carrying it on in year 13. I took biology, chemistry and English lit along side it.I honestly felt the most confident with the RE exams. If you're going RE on the AQA exam board, you'll sit two exams. I sat mine one after the other. All essay based but with lots of practise and dedication you can do really well in it. I loved the course this year, about teleological and deontological thinking, focusing on actions or consequences when making a decision. I think if you're taking law and psychology, RE will definitely come in handy. In unit 1 you cover abortion and euthanasia, so it's very compatible with A level law! I believed it really opened the mind to different ways of thinking and theories of thinking. Really interesting!

If you have anymore questions I'm happy to answer them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wild Nothing)
    Ah ok, that's fair enough You should choose it!!
    Thank you for your help it really helped

ReputationRep:
    If you're studying law then consider taking psychology. There are lots of case studies and it will help you build your essay skills a lot, so i think it could make a big difference

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.