Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm reading Wuthering Heights at the moment and I've just finished the first section (chapter 14). I don't understand the final paragraph (starts with "Dree, and dreary! I reflected as the good woman... and the daughter turned out a second edition of the mother!") Can someone explain this please? I'd be very grateful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muffin_selight)
    So I'm reading Wuthering Heights at the moment and I've just finished the first section (chapter 14). I don't understand the final paragraph (starts with "Dree, and dreary! I reflected as the good woman... and the daughter turned out a second edition of the mother!") Can someone explain this please? I'd be very grateful
    It's been a while since I read the book, but I've just had a quick look at that chapter online and I think that paragraph is "spoken" by Lockwood, the current tenant of Thrushcross Grange in the present day action of the book. If you remember when he first met Heathcliff and co. Lockwood comments on how beautiful younger Cathy is and there are hints of an attraction. In the paragraph you've mentioned, he is reflecting on the story of older Cathy, Heathcliff and co. told by Nelly (Mrs Dean). You'll no doubt have noticed that older Cathy (younger Catherine's mother) is hardly likeable and her choices have disastrous consequences for those involved, so Lockwood is remembering how he felt about her daughter and reflecting on how he should be careful not to get romantically entangled with younger Cathy in case she is like her mother which might leave Lockwood in mental/ psychological torture. If I remember correctly, Lockwood is ill in bed at this point, hence all the references to doctors/ herbs. Younger Cathy has the last name Heathcliff by marriage - I'm not sure if you'll know how exactly so I won't spoil it for you!

Wuthering Heights is a great book but the relationships become very complex so it's easy to get confused!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.