Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Applying to AAA universities? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I achieved A*A*B yesterday, with one of my A*s being in the subject I would hope to study at university for 2014 entry.
    Would it be worthwhile me applying for AAA universities, seeing as I haven't got the "A" grade standard across the board?
    I was thinking to contact the universities and ask them if they'd consider my application, however would this be looked down upon?
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    re-take? - I think unis are quite strict about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badbodydouble)
    Hello. I achieved A*A*B yesterday, with one of my A*s being in the subject I would hope to study at university for 2014 entry.
    Would it be worthwhile me applying for AAA universities, seeing as I haven't got the "A" grade standard across the board?
    I was thinking to contact the universities and ask them if they'd consider my application, however would this be looked down upon?
    Thank you.
    Wouldn't be looked down on in the slightest. I imagine you'd be a desirable candidate, if you are applying with your results in hand.

ReputationRep:
    You might want to contact the universities you're interested in beforehand so you don't waste any choices. Someone I know was predicted A*AB and got rejected for an AAA whilst another had the same predictions and was made an offer by another university asking for AAA, so it's possible to be successful but not definite. If you're not planning to resit any modules, it would probably be best to apply for some choices asking for less than AAA as well. It's a bit annoying, but typical entry requirements are published for a reason. Congratulations by the way!

ReputationRep:
    These are A2s you have achieved already, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patrickinator)
    re-take? - I think unis are quite strict about this.
    I'd imagined they would be. the B was in Art and was completely unexpected. I would get it re-marked however individual candidates can't have re-marks, it has to be a whole centre re-mark.
    I could see what I would need to do to re-sit, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dark-blue)
    You might want to contact the universities you're interested in beforehand so you don't waste any choices. Someone I know was predicted A*AB and got rejected for an AAA whilst another had the same predictions and was made an offer by another university asking for AAA, so it's possible to be successful but not definite. If you're not planning to resit any modules, it would probably be best to apply for some choices asking for less than AAA as well. It's a bit annoying, but typical entry requirements are published for a reason. Congratulations by the way!
    It's such a shame, I was completely expecting an A.
    Thank you so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    These are A2s you have achieved already, right?
    They are, yes.
    I believe I've seen you around on English threads - it would be English Language I'd hope to apply for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They are, yes.
    I believe I've seen you around on English threads - it would be English Language I'd hope to apply for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I get around. Seriously, I think you would be in a very good position. As a bird in the hand with two A* and the third subject not being relevant, I think they would snap you up. Look at the concessions they have been making in clearing. Call them up and ask.

ReputationRep:
    It's such a shame, I was completely expecting an A.
    Thank you so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem, and like above user said, it's always worth ringing up, especially as your grades are above the cap thing (either ABB or AAB, I forget).! Are you applying for an English course then? Because the friend I mentioned who did get an offer with slightly lower non achieved grades than you was made an offer for English at Kings. (I'm doing it this year too!)

And as a fellow artists, I can sympathise with the whole not being able to remark/ lower than expected grades thing - my friend was expecting an A* and got a B and last year, another person I know who was marked A/A* by teachers got a C!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.