This discussion is closed.
innitman_uk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Scenario: I run a philosophy society at school (called 'Indeed'). I try to make it quite original and accessible to everyone. This involves disguising complex problems in terms of things everyone understands - like the Matrix to describe Descartes' Nightmare/Plato's Caves-thing.

I know loads of people here are quite keen to express intriguing ideas, so here's your chance. Can you think of an idea for my next one?
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I rather like discussing situations; for example the tree falling down in a forst, does it make a sound? or perhaps something along the lines of shrodingers cat.
Amb1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
I rather like discussing situations; for example the tree falling down in a forst, does it make a sound? or perhaps something along the lines of shrodingers cat.
If you tell a joke in the forest and no-one laughs, is it not funny?
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
If you tell a joke in the forest and no-one laughs, is it not funny?
Not entirely sure where that came from but It depends on the joke, the people who are being told maybe stupid or may only speak japanese.
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Not entirely sure where that came from but It depends on the joke, the people who are being told maybe stupid or may only speak japanese.
No, it's the same as the tree falling down one - there's no-one else in the forest (soz, should've made that clear!)
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by innitman_uk)
Scenario: I run a philosophy society at school (called 'Indeed'). I try to make it quite original and accessible to everyone. This involves disguising complex problems in terms of things everyone understands - like the Matrix to describe Descartes' Nightmare/Plato's Caves-thing.

I know loads of people here are quite keen to express intriguing ideas, so here's your chance. Can you think of an idea for my next one?
"What is the meaning of life?" :rolleyes:
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
No, it's the same as the tree falling down one - there's no-one else in the forest (soz, should've made that clear!)
LOL, oh right. The joke teller is in the forest though and he is conciously aware therefore the joke exists, the extent to which it is funny is entirely dependent on the calibre of the joke.
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
LOL, oh right. The joke teller is in the forest though and he is conciously aware therefore the joke exists, the extent to which it is funny is entirely dependent on the calibre of the joke.
I wasn't actually after an answer, :rolleyes: it's supposed to be philosophy!
Btw, circles have A LOT to answer for...
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
I wasn't actually after an answer, :rolleyes: it's supposed to be philosophy!
Btw, circles have A LOT to answer for...
lol, I know but I thought your arguement was flawed so I voiced my opinion.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
I rather like discussing situations; for example the tree falling down in a forst, does it make a sound?
Of course it does. You don't think trees make a crashing sound when they fall over just for our benefit do you? :rolleyes:
innitman_uk
Rep:
?
(Original post by bradders)
I myself am fascinated at the difference in meaning that society places on a person who is “multifaceted” (versatile, all-rounder, comprehensive etc etc) and someone who is “twofaced” (hypocritical, insincere and untrustworthy).

An interesting point, don’t you think? And “original” too –to the best of my knowledge –as I just thought of it now!!

I think that it cuts into our desire for stereotypes and our limitation in regards to comprehending complex thoughts and characters...
thank you for your replies so far.

just returned after general studies - on what causes the racism problems in amercia. this explanation i felt was quite good:

=> pilgrims came over from europe full of fear because of the way they were treated by catholics
=> on arrival, they met the native americans. they killed them off through 'fear of the unknown'
=> xenophobia and past persecution explains their attitude to the british => growing fear of even each other in this new world meant that they would readily want to unite for a common cause
=> ergo they went off to africa, got slaves
=> slaves rebelled, got civil rights
=> fear from whites leads to formation of KKK
=> Martin Luther King et all happened
=> more fear --> more hostility

im thinking of doing something on what causes evil. there was something in new scientist 8) about the mind of murderers, and how much our character is formed by factors beyond our control. could branch nicely to freewill vs determinism...
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Of course it does. You don't think trees make a crashing sound when they fall over just for our benefit do you? :rolleyes:
At last! Someone else who thinks that tree falling *******s is just that, a load of *******s.

Do people really think they are so important that the whole world revolves around them?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Gimp)
At last! Someone else who thinks that tree falling *******s is just that, a load of *******s.

Do people really think they are so important that the whole world revolves around them?
Yes, I've always thought that tree falling down thing was a complete "non-question" to be honest.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How about discussing ethics? You could get a good debate going with something along the lines of "is it morally right to eat meat?" or "would it be better, in the long run, to exterminate certain subcultures?". How about "is abortion murder?"

Hmmmm, perhaps not a good idea...
innitman_uk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trousers)
How about discussing ethics? You could get a good debate going with something along the lines of "is it morally right to eat meat?" or "would it be better, in the long run, to exterminate certain subcultures?". How about "is abortion murder?"

Hmmmm, perhaps not a good idea...
lol true. ive tried a vegetarian one - it became an all-vs-me argument.
ethics is always good for controversy and getting people focused though.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
thank you for your replies so far.

just returned after general studies - on what causes the racism problems in amercia. this explanation i felt was quite good:

=> pilgrims came over from europe full of fear because of the way they were treated by catholics
=> on arrival, they met the native americans. they killed them off through 'fear of the unknown'
=> xenophobia and past persecution explains their attitude to the british => growing fear of even each other in this new world meant that they would readily want to unite for a common cause
=> ergo they went off to africa, got slaves
=> slaves rebelled, got civil rights
=> fear from whites leads to formation of KKK
=> Martin Luther King et all happened
=> more fear --> more hostility
Who provided this "explanation" exactly?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've always been fascinated by labels/stereotypes and the way people seem to have a need for them.

For instance good/evil, right/wrong, old/young, green/turquoise.

At some point things shift from being one label to being another...the extremes are easy to label but the boundaries are not.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh and if you ever fancy having discussions based around belief/faith/religion I can strongly recommend this series of articles on the subject

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/C54626
innitman_uk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Howard)
Who provided this "explanation" exactly?
we watched 'bowling for columbine' which was on recently on channel 4
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
we watched 'bowling for columbine' which was on recently on channel 4
Never head of it. However, what you seem to have, in Mickey Mouse language, is just a list of key events in US history (and not a particularly accurate one either). It isn't really an explanation for rasism in contemporary American society.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (298)
34.14%
No (575)
65.86%

Watched Threads