Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So first off, anyone who takes the time to read this, thank you very much.

So I'm 19 now, and when I was in high school, I never listened, I never took education seriously and I never really took interest in the subject of thinking and discussing ideas albeit school subjects, future plans, every day life. I just seemed to be interested in sitting on my ass and watching TV. I never revised for my exams because the idea of school never interested me and I got a C in all of my subjects. I've been to college before but I did a BTEC course and it was pretty easy. "Type this, type that, here's your pass". I finished with a D*DD but felt like I was handed those grades on a silver platter. That course never actually taught me how to think on my own and come up with organic ideas that I have brought about on my own. This was when I was 15-16 years old. Nowadays I feel like I have acquired the skill of actually listening and interpreting information from people, books and other sources and becoming interested in informative things (about 16 years late). I read a lot, watch lot's of documentaries and I feel like I have acquired the skill of interpreting information at 17 rather than at like 5-6 like most people. Now, I want to learn about literacy, I want to learn about History, I want to become multi-lingual, I want to go back to school and prove to myself that this new me is a better version of the person I was in high school. I read a lot more, I take in information better and I have a better grip on life and I just feel a whole lot smarter these days.

I'm taking my A Levels at 19 and I start in September. I'm really really looking forward to it because I want to be in a subject where I'm marked off actually going off, researching and then putting my thoughts onto exam papers that actually came from me.

I'm taking:

• English Literature
    • ICT
    • History
    • Spanish

I want to achieve 4 A's. I don't have much of a social life so I'm going to LIVE in that library and work hard for 4 A's, I'm going to give it everything I've got. Basically I just wanted to know from people that have already done A levels. What is life like as an A level student? What are classes like? Timetables etc.

And also, is my goal of 4 A's realistic? Thanks to anyone that replies.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adoh)
    So first off, anyone who takes the time to read this, thank you very much.

So I'm 19 now, and when I was in high school, I never listened, I never took education seriously and I never really took interest in the subject of thinking and discussing ideas albeit school subjects, future plans, every day life. I just seemed to be interested in sitting on my ass and watching TV. I never revised for my exams because the idea of school never interested me and I got a C in all of my subjects. I've been to college before but I did a BTEC course and it was pretty easy. "Type this, type that, here's your pass". I finished with a D*DD but felt like I was handed those grades on a silver platter. That course never actually taught me how to think on my own and come up with organic ideas that I have brought about on my own. This was when I was 15-16 years old. Nowadays I feel like I have acquired the skill of actually listening and interpreting information from people, books and other sources and becoming interested in informative things (about 16 years late). I read a lot, watch lot's of documentaries and I feel like I have acquired the skill of interpreting information at 17 rather than at like 5-6 like most people. Now, I want to learn about literacy, I want to learn about History, I want to become multi-lingual, I want to go back to school and prove to myself that this new me is a better version of the person I was in high school. I read a lot more, I take in information better and I have a better grip on life and I just feel a whole lot smarter these days.

I'm taking my A Levels at 19 and I start in September. I'm really really looking forward to it because I want to be in a subject where I'm marked off actually going off, researching and then putting my thoughts onto exam papers that actually came from me.

I'm taking:

• English Literature
    • ICT
    • History
    • Spanish

I want to achieve 4 A's. I don't have much of a social life so I'm going to LIVE in that library and work hard for 4 A's, I'm going to give it everything I've got. Basically I just wanted to know from people that have already done A levels. What is life like as an A level student? What are classes like? Timetables etc.

I did history and whilst I didn't do Spanish, I did French and I did English last year but hated it. Don't make the mistake of thinking hard work will equal top grades. I thought this at the start of AS and I completely flopped. Don't do 7 hours straight of revision, it never works. I found doing about 4 hours a day worked the best for me.
    Whilst I say that don't over work, it's still a lot of work. Especially the subjects like languages and history. I found myself working most evenings (except Friday) after school, that was just with the homework I got.
    History is a lot of work. Not only are you expected to know the dates, names etc but also to analyse which is hard because easy to fall into the trap of telling a story! Also you have to analyse sources, both contemporary (from the time period) and modern and come to a decision backed up with your own information. Whilst I didn't do Spanish, what I learnt from French was know the tenses and the irregular verbs off the top of your head, keep a vocab list and get loads of speaking practice!
    My lessons were usually 90 minutes or occasionally I had a single lessons. I had two teachers for each subject, so for history this year I had a teacher for my exam and a teacher for coursework. Classes are definitely smaller, there was only 7 in my French class this year!
    It's definitely good to aim high however don't be disheartened if you get lower. A2 is definitely harder than AS. I ended up 3As and a C in my AS exams that I retook after getting a mixture of Es and Us however with my A2 exams, ended up with BCC overall.
    Although I've never worked so hard in my life and with revising, it can feel like it's never ending, I've had an amazing two years and made a load of new friends.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adoh)

For me it is 4.5 hours a week class time for each subject and then 1 hour of tutor a week. I spent maybe 2-3 hours outside of that a week doing homework/essays and maybe another hour or two just ordering my class notes and beginning to type them up. Around the exam time I spent 2/3 hours a day just answering questions, reading marks schemes, learning the Acts for History, cases for Law and case studies for Geography. I ended up with aabb, I could probably have got aaab if I had pushed myself a bit further but you don't necessarily have to spend your life in the library...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.