The Student Room Group

Alternatives to Computer Science?

obselete
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Have you thought about degrees such at Information Technology Management for Business?

http://www.e-skills.com/itmb

It is endorsed by a range of companies and the course if less mathematical than straight Computer Science.

Top universities such as UCL , Sheffield, Manchester and Loughborough offer this course amongst others.
Reply 2
There are tonnes of computing degrees you could do that aren't computer science, eg:

computing

software engineering

computer networks

computer forensics

atificial intelligence

business it

computer hardware engineering

Generally a lot of degrees in the computing sector are interchangeable and wouldn't massively hinder your career choices from choosing 'the wrong course'
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Computer science isnt as maths heavy as you make it out to be. For most CS courses maths is not a requirement and if you achieved a B in A level maths you will have no problem with the maths aspect of the course. I think in my first year i only had 2/12 modules which were purely maths based and from then on no purely maths modules. Obviously maths is involved but nothing to hard so i wouldn't let it put you off.
Reply 4
Hi,
Just wondering if you knew the level of math's required for information technology?

Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by coolcat88
Hi,
Just wondering if you knew the level of math's required for information technology?

Thanks

Nothing beyond the basics I imagine, most uni's only ask for a C or above at GCSE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending