The Student Room Group

Retaking yr 12 at another college

Hi I got my AS levels and I'm quite disappointed.
BDD: B-French (which is quite good), D for maths(disappointing though thought worse), and D for English language (shocking). Inow have very low self-esteem. Although it's a pass, I don't want to stay in mysixth form anymore. I want to go to a sixth-form college. My school doesn'twant me to go, however, which makes it very hard for me. But I know it'sfor the reputation.
Is it possible to retake in another college?
I was verydepressed in that school this year and near the end of year I lacked motivationto work hard, which is a surprise for me, because normally I'm very hardworking. At the beginning of the year I also had physics, but I dropped it rightafter mocks because it wasn't for me and both of my teachers were veryintimidating. The other subject I hated was English language. I feel that it’squite a useless subject and the teachers were absolutely crap and one of themwas really intimidating-making me cry. Maths…was partly my fault because Ilacked motivation on it although the teachers were dis-organized and rubbish.Half of my class got Cs and Ds… French was the only subject I enjoyed andworked hard in and the teachers were fun and supportive. But one subject isn’tenough.
I really want to start over in another college. I alsowant to replace English language with a subject I will enjoy. I still want todo maths because I know that I’m partly to blame and I know that I can tobetter. I will also do French, though it’s annoying to start over with thatone.
My school is very irritating. They want me to stay andcontinue with these crap grades. I told them that I’m not going back but theytold me to think about it carefully. I THOUGHT ABOUT IT FOR MONTHS!!!
I feel that if I do stay at that school for A2… I’llbecome even MORE depressed.
So does anyone know any good colleges (not independentones) that will allow retakes?
Thank you… Sorry if it’s long
Reply 1
Original post by joyce-diana

I was in your position 2 years ago. I also achieved BDD (Maths, Biology, Chemistry) due to not working hard enough so I decided to retake at a FE college (got AAB at AS second time round). Now I am off to Warwick University. I would definitely recommend retaking the year if you believe you can do much better because most if not all colleges should allow you to ''retake'' your AS levels.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
The thing is you left it too late. Colleges don't welcome failures with open arms. Sounds harsh me calling you a failure but that is how other colleges will view you; a problem trying to dump itself on their doorstep.
Reply 3
Original post by peter12345
The thing is you left it too late. Colleges don't welcome failures with open arms. Sounds harsh me calling you a failure but that is how other colleges will view you; a problem trying to dump itself on their doorstep.

Wrong.
Reply 4

Oh ok...So did you have experience of failing your as levels and trying to apply for another college?
Reply 5
Original post by GPODT
I was in your position 2 years ago. I also achieved BDD (Maths, Biology, Chemistry) due to not working hard enough so I decided to retake at a FE college (got AAB at AS second time round). Now I am off to Warwick University. I would definitely recommend retaking the year if you believe you can do much better because most if not all colleges should allow you to ''retake'' your AS levels.

Thank you, that was very helpful. So, it's not too late?
A lot of collage application deadlines have passed (the ones aimed at year 11s?) so you should try approaching them directly and asking about places.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by GPODT
Wrong.

Excellent rebuttal, 10/10.

Oh ok...So did you have experience of failing your as levels and trying to apply for another college?

Not personally but I knew many people who tried. They all got the same reply that you need to be a t a certain minimum standard to be considered.
BDD: B-French (which is quite good), D for maths(disappointing though thought worse), and D for English language (shocking). Inow have very low self-esteem. Although it's a pass, I don't want to stay in mysixth form anymore. I want to go to a sixth-form college. My school doesn'twant me to go, however, which makes it very hard for me. But I know it'sfor the reputation.
I was verydepressed in that school this year and near the end of year I lacked motivationto work hard, which is a surprise for me, because normally I'm very hardworking. At the beginning of the year I also had physics, but I dropped it rightafter mocks because it wasn't for me and both of my teachers were veryintimidating. The other subject I hated was English language. I feel that it’squite a useless subject and the teachers were absolutely crap and one of themwas really intimidating-making me cry. Maths…was partly my fault because Ilacked motivation on it although the teachers were dis-organized and rubbish.Half of my class got Cs and Ds… French was the only subject I enjoyed andworked hard in and the teachers were fun and supportive. But one subject isn’tenough.
I really want to start over in another college. I alsowant to replace English language with a subject I will enjoy. I still want todo maths because I know that I’m partly to blame and I know that I can tobetter. I will also do French, though it’s annoying to start over with thatone.
My school is very irritating. They want me to stay andcontinue with these crap grades. I told them that I’m not going back but theytold me to think about it carefully. I THOUGHT ABOUT IT FOR MONTHS!!!
So does anyone know any good colleges (not independentones) that will allow retakes?

In what area are you looking for good colleges?
Reply 9
Thank you, that was very helpful. So, it's not too late?

No it is not. Call up your local colleges they should be enrolling every day until the first week of September.

Excellent rebuttal, 10/10.

Not personally but I knew many people who tried. They all got the same reply that you need to be a t a certain minimum standard to be considered.

Well its completely false. I know many colleges in my area who DO take people who failed first time (myself being an example). The only condition is C's in Maths and English at GCSE.

Original post by natashaaarr
A lot of collage application deadlines have passed (the ones aimed at year 11s?) so you should try approaching them directly and asking about places.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is true but many colleges still take students during enrolment week (even if they have not applied previously)
Reply 10
Original post by EvasiveRose
In what area are you looking for good colleges?

I live in London, Westminster. Thank you
Reply 11
Original post by GPODT
No it is not. Call up your local colleges they should be enrolling every day until the first week of September.

Well its completely false. I know many colleges in my area who DO take people who failed first time (myself being an example). The only condition is C's in Maths and English at GCSE.

That is true but many colleges still take students during enrolment week (even if they have not applied previously)

I know many colleges in my area who don't. You can't say what I say is untrue based on your area alone.
Reply 12
I know many colleges in my area who don't. You can't say what I say is untrue based on your area alone.

You basically told her its impossible to get into a college for retakes. Which is not true at all.

Reply 13
Okay, look... I don't know if you're trying to be discouraging or honest. Are you saying that I'm doomed and there's nothing I can do? What you say might be true, but you yourself hasn't been in this situation and the other person has. So who do you think I'm going to believe?
I live in London, Westminster. Thank you

City of Westminister College:

'Applications from students who have previously studied A-levels, either at AS or A2 level, including those seeking to re-sit, will be considered on a case-by-case basis only, even where general or subject-specific entry criteria are met.'

So call them up as soon as possible. Colleges are looking to fill all of their course spaces even in the first weeks of September. Although, this college only teaches French up to AS and not including (1 year only)

Westminister Kingsway: They don't offer French at all

Just call up the colleges in your area and the areas in which you can travel to. If you start early. hopefully you'll have a place by September
Reply 15

Hi there, I understand what you must be feeling and I would advise you to go to another college. From what you say it seems like you know what you want to do. A change of scene may also give you some motivation to work that bit harder :smile:

Good luck !!
Reply 16

Hi, the same thing happened to me except my results were A LOT worse (CCDE to be precise) but I cut my losses and restarted the year with different subjects and achieved AAB at A2 and now i'm off to Warwick! And in no way shape or form are you a failure...okay you might be "behind" a year but if that means you end up at a better university on a better course at the end of it then thats much better than that just staying somewhere where you're not happy.

Some colleges may not be happy about you resitting since you've already passed (my college were reluctant to take me but they saw my gcses and then understood why I felt I could do better) but you will most likely be able to find one.

Good luck
:smile:
Reply 17

I got three U's at AS at my school in 2012, and this year I got B,C,C,C at a college so they don't view people as failures.
Reply 18
Okay, look... I don't know if you're trying to be discouraging or honest. Are you saying that I'm doomed and there's nothing I can do? What you say might be true, but you yourself hasn't been in this situation and the other person has. So who do you think I'm going to believe?

Sounds like you don't want to believe me just because I'm telling you what you don't want to hear. Believe who you want.
Reply 19

It's worth a try. Ring around and see if they will accept you. If you feel your depression is actual clinical depression I recommend going to a doctor and trying to treat it. My wife had real trouble with MH during sixthform and it impacted her grades a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest