Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was diagnosed with Moderate Clinical Depression a couple weeks before my AS exams. The depression wasn't caused by the stress of revision/exams, it was something I had been living with for several years and it was my friends who urged me to go to a doctor.

I feel like my depression has had an affect on my grades because when I was younger (doing 11+) I had great motivation. I got into an amazing private school with full scholarship. Then when certain events occurred (the root of my depression) I noticed the slip in grades, the lack of motivation, antisocial behaviour etc.

I didn't have my friends when the events happened (I didn't know them) so I somehow tried to cope with it.

Now my AS level results came and I got an ADD (A for maths, D for Physics/Biology)

I want to do engineering but with these grades my predicted would be at the highest an A*CC. I know I can do better, the medication I have been taking has been helping (it takes sometime to work) and I feel more motivated but my grades are whats stopping me.

Do universities let you in with **** grades knowing that you've had a tough time ?

Should I consider a foundation year or rely on Adjustment ?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, the personal statement includes a section for teachers (or your head of year) to mention things like that. If your school knows, they may be able to pass this information onto the university and it should be taken into consideration.

That said, if you did get onto the course, would you be in a position to know the things they expect you to know? You should definitely take a look at where you stand and determine if you're suitable for a particular course at this particular time. I understand it has not been easy, but you also don't want to get to university not knowing the right things as this may impact your grades there, and that may be even worse. Is this condition going to affect you through your university studies in the same way that it has done so far? If so, it may be worth taking a few years off and doing other things and making sure you're in a position where you can dedicate yourself to studying. Get yourself better and the rest will become a lot easier.

I don't wish to sound harsh, but relying on such considerations and allowances from the university is not a long-term solution. You could end up with a bad grade that way, so spending time to become more stable may allow you to succeed far more at university (and this will help with getting a job and being a better professional). Eventually someone, probably an employer, will want engineering solutions from you, and you don't want to not know the answer because you weren't fully with it when you were in those classes.

A foundation year may be suitable if you're missing certain subjects or skills, but it is a year at university or a local college, and the fees may be more expensive. It may be more affordable to stay at college to study A-levels. Just remember that you can go to university at any time, so you might as well go when you know you can give it your best shot. I did 3 years of college to get up to the right standard, and quite a few others did the same. I managed to get into a decent enough university with a C in AS maths and a C in physics (A and B in other subjects). An A*CC would probably be suitable for a lot of courses (especially if your college were able to have a word with them), but you just need to make sure you're confident in yourself that you're in a position to complete the course to the best of your ability.

ReputationRep:
    Ironically, you need more maths than you do physics for an engineering degree. All the "physics" and mathematical stuff is retaught from scratch though.

Can you do a resit and secondly, maybe take a year out and restart your A-Levels? I don't know if that is possible, but maybe you just need a break?

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickyConfused)
    I was diagnosed with Moderate Clinical Depression a couple weeks before my AS exams. The depression wasn't caused by the stress of revision/exams, it was something I had been living with for several years and it was my friends who urged me to go to a doctor.

I feel like my depression has had an affect on my grades because when I was younger (doing 11+) I had great motivation. I got into an amazing private school with full scholarship. Then when certain events occurred (the root of my depression) I noticed the slip in grades, the lack of motivation, antisocial behaviour etc.

I didn't have my friends when the events happened (I didn't know them) so I somehow tried to cope with it.

Now my AS level results came and I got an ADD (A for maths, D for Physics/Biology)

I want to do engineering but with these grades my predicted would be at the highest an A*CC. I know I can do better, the medication I have been taking has been helping (it takes sometime to work) and I feel more motivated but my grades are whats stopping me.

Do universities let you in with **** grades knowing that you've had a tough time ?

Should I consider a foundation year or rely on Adjustment ?
    What kind of engineering and what universities are you looking at?
    Also if you write in your PS that you had circumstances leading to your poor AS results then they will take it into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    As far as I know, the personal statement includes a section for teachers (or your head of year) to mention things like that. If your school knows, they may be able to pass this information onto the university and it should be taken into consideration.

That said, if you did get onto the course, would you be in a position to know the things they expect you to know? You should definitely take a look at where you stand and determine if you're suitable for a particular course at this particular time. I understand it has not been easy, but you also don't want to get to university not knowing the right things as this may impact your grades there, and that may be even worse. Is this condition going to affect you through your university studies in the same way that it has done so far? If so, it may be worth taking a few years off and doing other things and making sure you're in a position where you can dedicate yourself to studying. Get yourself better and the rest will become a lot easier.

I don't wish to sound harsh, but relying on such considerations and allowances from the university is not a long-term solution. You could end up with a bad grade that way, so spending time to become more stable may allow you to succeed far more at university (and this will help with getting a job and being a better professional). Eventually someone, probably an employer, will want engineering solutions from you, and you don't want to not know the answer because you weren't fully with it when you were in those classes.

A foundation year may be suitable if you're missing certain subjects or skills, but it is a year at university or a local college, and the fees may be more expensive. It may be more affordable to stay at college to study A-levels. Just remember that you can go to university at any time, so you might as well go when you know you can give it your best shot. I did 3 years of college to get up to the right standard, and quite a few others did the same. I managed to get into a decent enough university with a C in AS maths and a C in physics (A and B in other subjects). An A*CC would probably be suitable for a lot of courses (especially if your college were able to have a word with them), but you just need to make sure you're confident in yourself that you're in a position to complete the course to the best of your ability.

You don't sound harsh at all!
    I wasn't on medication until just before my exams and they take a couple months to work and I definitely feel the difference now. I've gotten a job, passed my driving test etc I feel like I have a future for myself now.

I understand what you mean by not being ready for a uni course knowledge-wise. When I look at my school test results during the year I see I do well in them and sometimes I do extremely well but it just doesn't show on my exam results because of how my depression is. Its like I want to do well but I can't. However I do know that the medication I've been taking has changed alot in me. I know I can do it.

However, if I resit some exams and bring my grades up to A*AA, what options do I have there ? I mean could apply through adjustment ?

Because my college only predict A level grades one higher than the AS grade hence why A*CC and alot of courses want something like AAB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eggfriedrice)
    What kind of engineering and what universities are you looking at?
    Also if you write in your PS that you had circumstances leading to your poor AS results then they will take it into consideration.
    Mechanical Engineering
    Maybe Nottingham, Southampton, UCL idk something nearish to London or in London (I want to be close to home)

I know I might be aiming a bit high

ReputationRep:
    However, if I resit some exams and bring my grades up to A*AA, what options do I have there ? I mean could apply through adjustment ?

Because my college only predict A level grades one higher than the AS grade hence why A*CC and alot of courses want something like AAB.
    You could still apply for those high-scoring universities. They should still just make you an offer and ask for you to achieve it. It is possible to email the university and speak with an admissions tutor and explain your situation - They might give you a more personalised entry requirement, or see that you may be more academic than your college is allowing them to believe.

I spent many weeks and months speaking with admissions tutors directly just going through what I would need to do and to make sure I was acceptable for their course.

If you get to results day and are not impressed, then adjustment is definitely an option too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djpailo)
    Ironically, you need more maths than you do physics for an engineering degree. All the "physics" and mathematical stuff is retaught from scratch though.

Can you do a resit and secondly, maybe take a year out and restart your A-Levels? I don't know if that is possible, but maybe you just need a break?

Good luck
    I can't restart my a-levels because the college I go to would kick me out. They don't take AS retakers. So I'm kinda stuck. Yeah, I can do resits. I'm only pointing out that those would be my predicted grades because my college takes your AS grades and bumps it up one and calls that your predicted grade.

My illness is caused by my mentality that if I believe I have no future I cannot function properly in the real world. (Not studying, no motivation, no ambition... just living for the sake of living) But recent events have made me see that I do have a future I've gotten a job/passed driving test/work experience/charity work.

ReputationRep:
    You could still apply for those high-scoring universities. They should still just make you an offer and ask for you to achieve it. It is possible to email the university and speak with an admissions tutor and explain your situation - They might give you a more personalised entry requirement, or see that you may be more academic than your college is allowing them to believe.

I spent many weeks and months speaking with admissions tutors directly just going through what I would need to do and to make sure I was acceptable for their course.

If you get to results day and are not impressed, then adjustment is definitely an option too.
    How is the process of speaking to admissions tutors?
    What kind of attitude do they have to students who are on the borderline of their entry requirements ?
    Are universities really that accommodating ?

ReputationRep:
    whatttt its so weird how im in pretty much the same position (from age 12/13 onwards); the background, the behaviour, everything except for i havent told anybody yet, not even a doctor. i got BBBC at AS when im expected to get AAA at least, and i only hit three of my target grades at gcse; none of my teachers have any idea why im doing so badly, and i dont know how to tell anyone in case they think im just making excuses

ReputationRep:
    sorry if it seems im hijacking your thread!

ReputationRep:
    I doubt most higher ranked unis would allow you with those grade, however, if you were to resit the would certainly consider you given you have mitigating circuimstances. If retaking isn't an option, try to look for lower ranked unis that do engineering. Providing they are accredited, going to a new uni or a lower ranked uni won't necessarily have much impact on career prospects. The good thing about engineering is that it isn't an elitist profession, therefore, providing you have the grades from an accredited course, you're sorted. Obviously it would be better to get into one in the top 30 than top 50-100 but it's certainly not the end of the world and many unis will accept you with those grades. Have a look at scottish unis as well like glasgow caledonian uni, naiper uni and robert gordon.

Another option would be to take a engineering access course, engineering hnc or Btec. Many high ranked unis will accept students with these alternative qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    How is the process of speaking to admissions tutors?
    What kind of attitude do they have to students who are on the borderline of their entry requirements ?
    Are universities really that accommodating ?
    I just went on the university website, went on "contacts" and found the email address for the admissions tutor. From there, just send them an email (if possible, include your UCAS reference number if you have it yet) and explain your situation. Say you don't think your college is giving you predicted grades which fully reflect your ability. Mention your subjects and what you anticipate you can do and get their advice on it.

From my experience, they're usually pretty friendly and good at answering your questions and working with you. After all, you are a customer to them now and they want to make a name for themselves, so they will listen to you.

If you're borderline, or a grade or two down, there is still a good possibility of getting accepted. It depends on how subscribed the course is and other factors. Getting AAB for an AAA prediction will likely mean that you get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by example96)
    whatttt its so weird how im in pretty much the same position (from age 12/13 onwards); the background, the behaviour, everything except for i havent told anybody yet, not even a doctor. i got BBBC at AS when im expected to get AAA at least, and i only hit three of my target grades at gcse; none of my teachers have any idea why im doing so badly, and i dont know how to tell anyone in case they think im just making excuses

The earlier you get help, the better.
    I regret not telling anyone about how I felt. That constant 'drowning' feeling that I got or the weird behaviour, it needs to be sorted asap.

When you go to a GP they ask you questions about how you feel and they go through this questionnaire with you and ask you about your eating habits, any weight fluctuations etc.

You'll really be surprised at how much depression affects your life.

You can get a medical certificate and prove that you're not just making excuses but the main point is that you should get help for yourself soon.

BBBC isn't terrible, it's really good! Just keep trying and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I just went on the university website, went on "contacts" and found the email address for the admissions tutor. From there, just send them an email (if possible, include your UCAS reference number if you have it yet) and explain your situation. Say you don't think your college is giving you predicted grades which fully reflect your ability. Mention your subjects and what you anticipate you can do and get their advice on it.

From my experience, they're usually pretty friendly and good at answering your questions and working with you. After all, you are a customer to them now and they want to make a name for themselves, so they will listen to you.

If you're borderline, or a grade or two down, there is still a good possibility of getting accepted. It depends on how subscribed the course is and other factors. Getting AAB for an AAA prediction will likely mean that you get in.
    thank you ! you've given me some hope

ReputationRep:
    Mechanical Engineering
    Maybe Nottingham, Southampton, UCL idk something nearish to London or in London (I want to be close to home)

I know I might be aiming a bit high
    I see you have Nottingham in mind, i got BBBC at AS and managed to get AAB prediction and just got accepted. If you just get your teachers to give you and equivalent prediction to this i'm certain you will get an offer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.