Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

7 A*s at A-Level BUT rejected by Oxford Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this story has already been posted (if it has, delete my post) and I know that 'Daily Mail' is not a reliable source. But I'd like to hear your views on why Alastair Herron was given a standard rejection by Oxford.

Was it because simply there were more suitable candidates than him for the course?-which is understandable
    Or because of something else?

Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st_read_module

EDIT: I don't understand why I'm being negged for simply wanting to discuss an article

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he came across as a nob at the interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JindleBrey)
    I agree. Maybe personality wise he just wasn't appealing to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he bombed at the interview or his PS sucked. High grades don't automatically equal an Oxbridge place.

ReputationRep:
    it needs to be appreciated that there is more to a successful university application than a string of a* grades

ReputationRep:
    You need to have loads of stuff going on the side, right?

ReputationRep:
    Grades aren't everything... it's about personality, passion and a willingness to learn. Oxford explicitly say 3 A levels are enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondenotbimbo)
    You need to have loads of stuff going on the side, right?
    Unless you're a medic, no.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously just getting good grades aren't enough. (edit: also, was he rejected BEFORE he achieved those grades? that was posted after results day after all)

ReputationRep:
    He went Harvard, at least he can say he showed them

ReputationRep:
    With hindsight it might seem ridiculous, but he didn't have 7a*s when he applied so its more difficult for them to judge than it might, on the face of it, seem.

ReputationRep:
    This.

ReputationRep:
    He didn't have 7 A*s at the interview. It's possible that they saw someone who was attempting 7 A Levels and came across like an arrogant knob, so they didn't like him and didn't expect him to get A/A*s in all seven...

ReputationRep:
    Well, he didn't have 7A* when he got rejected.

He will presumably have had 7 A grades at AS Level, which is obviously very impressive. However, Oxford do not ask for UMS marks, so despite presumably getting over 90s, if he went on to do so at A2, he could on paper, just have looked equal to someone scraping 80% in each of their subjects. Unfortunate, but that's what happens if UMS marks aren't requested.

Also, other candidates presumably performed better at the interview.

Still, it's obviously disappointing for someone so obviously intelligent to be rejected. And I think it is incredibly unfair for people on here to presume he came across like an "arrogant nob" at the interview.

ReputationRep:
    Totally unsubstantiated claim. I could just as easily and with as much authority say they didn't like his accent at interview.

ReputationRep:
    he looks like a retard anyway

ReputationRep:
    It always happens, they give offers before results after all so of course some people who are rejected will go on to do amazingly well.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like he was rejected before interview? The Daily Mail is far from specific.

ReputationRep:
    There are stories like this every year. Ultimately there is more to an Oxbridge application than grades, and this one seems to be other people (unlike a certain story like this in the past where the outrage came from the applicant herself) whipping up a storm over it to make a point about Oxford or their own agenda, since he himself doesn't seem like he minds that much (and nor should he, since he has a place and a bursary at Stanford). There are lots of very good candidates every year who get rejected, and speculating on this one particular case (as well as casting aspersions on his personality or other possible personal or academic failings) is pretty pointless and very mean spirited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineMann)
    Totally unsubstantiated claim. I could just as easily and with as much authority say they didn't like his accent at interview.
    What claim?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.