Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I've looked through the medicine thread for hours but most of it has to do with the England education system. As I am studying in Scotland I am needing some advice for routes into Medicine.

I'm in sixth year now and thank goodness 5th year is over and done with. The grades I got were decent and they are as follow

Higher English- A ,
    Higher Geography- A,
    Higher Human Biology- A ,
    Higher Maths- C ( :P ) ,
    Higher Chemistry- B ( Was really disappointed with this as I checked today and was only 2-4 marks away from an A, hoping for an appeal but was again 2-3 marks away :/ !)

Anyways, I have been really confused and stressed for the last few days as I really want to do medicine but evidently that can't happen this year Had a talk with a few of my teachers including my PSE and she said best option now is to apply for a Science Course and then apply as a Graduate. I looked at BioMedicine ( a strong choice ) as an option or Sports Medicine, Anatomy. Was wondering are there any other courses ?

Also, if for example this year I took Adv Chemistry and Biology, Higher Physics and Business Management ( crashing both ). See if I do reasonably well in these subjects and manage to get an AA or AB for the Adv Highers and A's or an AB in the Higher , will there be any chance of applying for Med school next year or will it still not be a choice? Or are there any other ways like Gap years or something

Just to note, I am also doing an Open University Course as well and also a Saltire Award.

I am really determined to study medicine so honestly will put a lot more effort in this year!

Sorry for the long paragraphs but I really need some advice from some experts and people who are applying for Medicine as a Graduate !! I know there are many options listed on this forum but I don't really understand and know anything about the education in England.

Thank you very much and I really appreciate all the advice you give !!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Sorry you have missed getting the grades needed to get into med. As a general rule, most universities want the Higher grade requirements to be at the first sitting so I think that your tutor is right in his/her advice. It might be worth emailing some of the uni's you are interested in and asking them about doing your AHS and crash H's.

However, from the Wiki...http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ttish_Students you can see that as well as Higher requirements, most want you to have AH from 6th year and some want both AHs plus another H as well as 5 H's from 5th year.

Is there any reason not to go and do a degree now? Possibly still get a clearing space rather than do AH etc and be one less year.

As for degrees, pick something that you will enjoy. Generally GEPs want science degrees (2:1 minimum required for most with a few exceptions who take a 2:2 but you need to sit the GAMSAT) but some take any - need research that.

There are grads in my year who have studied anatomy, engineering (plus access course), biomedical science, chemistry, forensic anthropology, microbiology, marine biology, music (plus access course) and I studied Biology so quite varied. I know someone starting this year who has a degree in Optometry. Plenty of choice for you.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'd echo what was just said above.. most uni's i believe ask for 5th year highers at AAABB or AAAAB. Don't let yourself feel demotivated though.. your results are fantastic! I'd probably say your PSE was right about the graduate option. There are also a couple of access to medicine courses run in Scotland, but i don't believe they are aimed directly at school leavers.

Don't give up on your dream.. my higher results were the same as yours and after a long journey i start studying medicine this year

good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeArbroath)
    Hi,

I'd echo what was just said above.. most uni's i believe ask for 5th year highers at AAABB or AAAAB. Don't let yourself feel demotivated though.. your results are fantastic! I'd probably say your PSE was right about the graduate option. There are also a couple of access to medicine courses run in Scotland, but i don't believe they are aimed directly at school leavers.

Don't give up on your dream.. my higher results were the same as yours and after a long journey i start studying medicine this year

good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply !! Really appreciate it and yeah I have been pretty annoyed and pissed of for a while but hey time to move on. Mind if I asked what route did you take to get into med school??

Grats also on getting in !! Where you studying it??

Oh and was meant to ask could you kindly let me know what's this access course your talking about??:P and one more thing how long did it take you to get into med school??

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetchilli)
    Hi

Sorry you have missed getting the grades needed to get into med. As a general rule, most universities want the Higher grade requirements to be at the first sitting so I think that your tutor is right in his/her advice. It might be worth emailing some of the uni's you are interested in and asking them about doing your AHS and crash H's.

However, from the Wiki...http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ttish_Students you can see that as well as Higher requirements, most want you to have AH from 6th year and some want both AHs plus another H as well as 5 H's from 5th year.

Is there any reason not to go and do a degree now? Possibly still get a clearing space rather than do AH etc and be one less year.

As for degrees, pick something that you will enjoy. Generally GEPs want science degrees (2:1 minimum required for most with a few exceptions who take a 2:2 but you need to sit the GAMSAT) but some take any - need research that.

There are grads in my year who have studied anatomy, engineering (plus access course), biomedical science, chemistry, forensic anthropology, microbiology, marine biology, music (plus access course) and I studied Biology so quite varied. I know someone starting this year who has a degree in Optometry. Plenty of choice for you.

Best of luck!
    Hey thank you very much for taking the time and replying. I really appreciate your advice but if you dont mind me asking, where you said why I'm doing my adv higher etc. I'm in 6 the year at the moment and was planning to apply for one of the science courses prob Bio Med not too sure still stuck :/.

Also are you studying a science course as well in hope to get into med school that way or??

Thanks again!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsGrand131415)
    Hey thank you very much for taking the time and replying. I really appreciate your advice but if you dont mind me asking, where you said why I'm doing my adv higher etc. I'm in 6 the year at the moment and was planning to apply for one of the science courses prob Bio Med not too sure still stuck :/.

Also are you studying a science course as well in hope to get into med school that way or??

Thanks again!!
    Hi

Just thought that you could have applied through clearing and got onto a degree course now rather than doing AHs but no worries...

I'm just going into 3rd year in a few weeks.Was a systems analyst - hated it. 1st degree was a BA. Decided to change career and medicine was my dream. Told no due to my age (>30) so did a Biology degree and then a Masters. Was quite happily going for a research science career when discovered could apply for medicine as age restriction was lifted by EU laws on age discrimination so with nothing to lose did UKCAT, applied and got in.
    Good luck.

I'm sure you will get there in the end! It's never too late -I'm an oldie...

ReputationRep:
    Haha thank you very much again man !! Good luck with the future and yeah I won't be giving up on the medicine dream!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hi,

Stow college in Glasgow and Perth college both run Access to Medicine programmes. you should check out their websites

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey thank you for the info! Could I ask are these program also offered to school leavers??

Nvm I just checked their web and its for adults.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    you could either do the graduate medicine route by completing a degree in biomed first, or alternatively you could spend a couple or years gaining experience in the health care field, by working in a care home/nhs etc, and then apply to one of the access courses. if you went for the second option you'd have a really strong application

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh never knew about the second option ! Thank you very much !!

PS I sent you a private mail with some questions :P sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    no problem. i sent you a reply.. let me know if you got it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.