Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi please can someone help.

I need to get the grades BBB in a levels for a course I wanted to study in uni, which I got (ABB). The uni rang me saying that they can't accept me as other people have done better. Can they do this?

I have the insurance but I would rather go to my preferred lolocation. Can someone give me advise on how I can deal with this.

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    That's annoying, I didn't realise that they were allowed to do that.

The only way that you could go to your preferred location is if you take a gap year and reapply as you can't adjust from your insurance choice.

If you are still unsure, try phoning UCAS or the university direct.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    If you meet the requirements set out in your offer letter, then they CANNOT reject you. They must let you in.
    Are you 100% sure you met the requirements? Maybe you could copy-paste the exact line which states the grades you needed to see if we can shed any light on this.

ReputationRep:
    If you get the grades outlined in your offer they have to accept you.

ReputationRep:
    hey look you university; i've met the conditions if you don't accept me i'll file a law suit, give em 10 minutes

ReputationRep:
    Yes I've checked the conditions several times. I've even been down to the university to talk to them but refused to talk to me.

i will give ucas a ring and see what they can do.
    thanks to all

ReputationRep:
    Ring UCAS now and explain what is going on. If you have missed a term of your offer they should be able to explain why, and if not, they should be letting you in. UCAS are the best people to speak to. Which uni is it?

ReputationRep:
    Well done for your grades!

I don't think they're allowed to give you a rejection if you meet your grades or surpass them, but I'm not sure how it stands if they already have filled up all the spaces for the course you have applied for. You could ring up to discuss it with them again and more or less beg down the phone to let you onto the course and say you have surpassed the required grades. You could try ringing UCAS too to see where you stand before contacting the university.

What is the university and course that you're talking about, if I may ask?

Wish you all the luck with this. It's really not fair!

ReputationRep:
    They CANNOT reject if you have meet their entry requirements. Whatever happens don't take no for an answer.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    They are legally obliged to accept you if you meet their offer. Call UCAS and explain the situation.

ReputationRep:
    wow that's strange. They can't do this, if they have too many people it's their own fault for giving offers. This isn't a uni you've applied for through adjustment right?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Alright. Given that you're 100% sure (I had wondered if perhaps there was a GCSE resit result you needed to achieve), then you need to call UCAS. I hear that they will then contact the university to find out just why they aren't accepting you despite having met the offer. That should spur them into action.

They may ask you to defer if they have too many people, but you don't have to take them up on this offer (if they make it).

ReputationRep:
    Just be yourself.

ReputationRep:
    well rang them turns out they have over filled and didnt expect any people to get the grades. UCAS have assured me i have got the place and i should find out tomorrow at the latest.

It is Leicester uni

thankyou for all your help guys/girls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kylecooper)
    well rang them turns out they have over filled and didnt expect any people to get the grades. UCAS have assured me i have got the place and i should find out tomorrow at the latest.

It is Leicester uni

Success at last. Congratulations on your place.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure they can't do that if you meet your offer, then they should accept you!

I would investigate this, if I were you

ReputationRep:
    well rang them turns out they have over filled and didnt expect any people to get the grades.
    I know I'm late and you've sorted it, but I wanted to make a point here: if a uni has overfilled as you say, they are legally obliged to make more classes. Can't really believe they tried this on, if I wasn't going to spend the next 3-4 years with them I'd be in half a mind to sue them

ReputationRep:

It is Leicester uni

Ooh that's great. Well done

ReputationRep:

It is Leicester uni

They didn't expect anyone to get the grades? What on earth were they asking? A+++A+++A++++?

ReputationRep:

It is Leicester uni

Congratulations Kyle! Well done on ABB, hope you enjoy university.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.