Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i have been given an unconditional offer to study a Finance degree at Herts Uni, howeveer, i am beginning to think that i may not be able to cope with the work load..

I am a higher education student and finished a college business course this year that allowed me to get into uni, however, during this year i also tried to get an AS in maths from the same place, and found that i was not smart enough to do so. I used to find maths at gcse level very easy when i was in school, which was only 5 years ago, however, doing no maths for the last 5 years has taken its toll, and i couldn't fathom many of the theories of the class.

When looking at the modules last night, there was a lot of talk about graphs and equations, qualititive analysis and what not..

My questions are as such -

Does anyone have any experience with the maths required on these courses? And how complex are they?

And also, is it possible to change my course? I heard that you can switch within the first couple of weeks of starting uni.. i think this may be the best option, as i may move to international business instead, would this be an option?

Thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 03clacey)
    Hi, i have been given an unconditional offer to study a Finance degree at Herts Uni, howeveer, i am beginning to think that i may not be able to cope with the work load..

I am a higher education student and finished a college business course this year that allowed me to get into uni, however, during this year i also tried to get an AS in maths from the same place, and found that i was not smart enough to do so. I used to find maths at gcse level very easy when i was in school, which was only 5 years ago, however, doing no maths for the last 5 years has taken its toll, and i couldn't fathom many of the theories of the class.

When looking at the modules last night, there was a lot of talk about graphs and equations, qualititive analysis and what not..

My questions are as such -

Does anyone have any experience with the maths required on these courses? And how complex are they?

And also, is it possible to change my course? I heard that you can switch within the first couple of weeks of starting uni.. i think this may be the best option, as i may move to international business instead, would this be an option?

Thankyou.
    If you were good at Maths, you should still be good at Maths ( may take some time to get to it). Well I have looked at the Maths and it doesnt sound too daunting but not easy either. Most of the Maths seems statistics based maths.

equations and graphs; measures of location and dispersion; indices; probability; the Normal distribution; confidence intervals; critical path analysis; correlation and simple linear regression; time series forecasting.

descriptive statistics - regression analysis - time series analysis - forecasting - linear programming - stochastic processes and Markov chains - simulation

Just curious have you ever done A Level Pure Maths or similar ? If not, it may be a little difficult for you at the start. But when you start uni, you will be taught from the basic.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be able to switch course, no problem.

ReputationRep:
    I was good at maths, but worked as a chef for 5 years, with no use of it what so ever. When I started my AS math course I was already 3 weeks behind as they had already started, so I was already over my head, and I just couldn't bring myself up to standard, although not for lack of trying :/ was actually heart breaking as it was the one thing I thought I knew I was good at in school back in the day. I've never done any higher education stuff apart from these 2 courses.

Would you recommend emailing the university? Or waiting till I get there
    And asking them?

I'm worried that they will take my offer away if I do..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 03clacey)
    I was good at maths, but worked as a chef for 5 years, with no use of it what so ever. When I started my AS math course I was already 3 weeks behind as they had already started, so I was already over my head, and I just couldn't bring myself up to standard, although not for lack of trying :/ was actually heart breaking as it was the one thing I thought I knew I was good at in school back in the day. I've never done any higher education stuff apart from these 2 courses.

Would you recommend emailing the university? Or waiting till I get there
    And asking them?

I'm worried that they will take my offer away if I do..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No they won't take your offer away if you ask them. The uni needs students as much as students need them. Just talk to them and find out the arrangements.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.