Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cataclysm)
    You can piss about in the exam, it's useless and you can write weird and funny stuff, look at the topic called "Adding Humour to your Exams" in the A level forum. Uber funny.
    Maybe I'll reconsider then... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Mine are:

English Literature

Media studies

Government and Politics

Economics

ReputationRep:
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Economics
    Spanish

Gen Studies ....wooo!

ReputationRep:
    everyone taking english lit/lang, philoshophy, history, politics is in for a 2-3hr workload each night
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by manc)
    everyone taking english lit/lang, philoshophy, history, politics is in for a 2-3hr workload each night
    for each subject or overall? i certainly didn't find history that much workload and philosophy at my school has v little work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alispam)
    for each subject or overall? i certainly didn't find history that much workload and philosophy at my school has v little work.
    I'd say all four combined 'cause they're all essay subjects which I suppose would require more work than eg. Maths (answer Qs x, y and z). Anyway, I'm happy I'm not doing loads of essay subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calcium878)
    I'd say all four combined 'cause they're all essay subjects which I suppose would require more work than eg. Maths (answer Qs x, y and z). Anyway, I'm happy I'm not doing loads of essay subjects.
    Same. A friend of mine is taking English Lit, History, German and Gov&Pol. Mad or what? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    Same. A friend of mine is taking English Lit, History, German and Gov&Pol. Mad or what? :p:
    :eek: Mad, most certainly.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by calcium878)
    depends on teacher, we got loads of maths homework which can take ages with some differcult qs in. didn't get any essays for history (until just before exams and then only plans) and philosophy certainly don't get many essays. so tbh you probably won't find out until you start.

ReputationRep:
    well no essays for me hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I took similar subjects if you swap German for French and politics for sociology and I'm not mad.......honest, I'm not.......

ReputationRep:
    :eek:
    Exactly what I'm taking but French instead of German.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alispam)
    depends on teacher, we got loads of maths homework which can take ages with some differcult qs in. didn't get any essays for history (until just before exams and then only plans) and philosophy certainly don't get many essays. so tbh you probably won't find out until you start.

:ditto:

It all depends on teacher and your own work ethic. I do little work really, but all essay based subjects apart from Music (English, Politics and History) Most of my friends take Maths and seem to have pages and pages of questions to do. I did very little work throughout Yr 12 and am hoping to carry on this way for Yr 13. For example, I think I did one mock exam (one hour) for Politics the whole year... and apart froma very small amount of reading thats the only homework I have had. Often the best teachers realise when not to set pointless tasks for the sake of it and demotivate pupils.

ReputationRep:
    Well I still got my IGCSEs to finish but I finished half of it, anyway heres my AS:
    -Futher Maths
    -Mathematics-Mehanics
    -Applied ICT
    -Computing

Maybe IF i have time and can cope with the workload Im going to do:
    -Thinking Skills or
    -General Studies
    -English (Or Arabic)

ReputationRep:
    Mine are .. English lit, ICT and Law

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing history, french, spanish, english lit and critical thinking AS levels.

is anybody else doing both spanish and french (just out of interest) ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by id.est)
    I'm doing history, french, spanish, english lit and critical thinking AS levels.

Je ne sais pas.
    No se.

ReputationRep:

I'm doing basically the same, except German instead of Spanish. That is because in Yr7, you had to learn both French and German, and I didn't leave that school until end of year 8, and by year 9 you had to choose two languages to study for that year, and since I didn't (and still don't) know a word of Spanish, I went for German. Spanish looks quite cool though.

I will try to teach myself Critical Thinking I think, since it looks cool. Reckon I should?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by splorgie)
    I'm doing basically the same, except German instead of Spanish. That is because in Yr7, you had to learn both French and German, and I didn't leave that school until end of year 8, and by year 9 you had to choose two languages to study for that year, and since I didn't (and still don't) know a word of Spanish, I went for German. Spanish looks quite cool though.

I will try to teach myself Critical Thinking I think, since it looks cool. Reckon I should?
    Spanish is amazing although I have to admit I find it much harder than french. I'd like to learn German at some point too. We had to choose between spanish/german in year 8.

About critical thinking I think you should go for it; it's more of a concept based rather than a content based course according to my teacher so once you've got the basic priniciples and underlying points nailed it should be alright! (I hope so anyway )

It's great to hear of somebody doing history as well (most people at school reckon I'm a nutter for even contemplating it!).

ReputationRep:
    It's great to hear of somebody doing history as well (most people at school reckon I'm a nutter for even contemplating it!).
    Really? History is one of the most common subjects taken at our school, after Psychology and Biology.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.