The Student Room Group

Disappointing AS Results-Chemical Engineering?

My AS Results were kind of disappointing, I got:
Maths-A
Biology-A
Chemistry-B (two UMS from an A)
Physics-C (four UMS from a B)

I've requested my papers back for my Chemistry unit 2 exam and my Physics units 1 and 2 back so hopefully I can find some method marks in them and get them remarked.

However, are these AS grades too poor to apply for Chemical Engineering at a good University? Do you think I could still have a shot at somewhere like UCL?
My GCSE results were kind of average too, 5A* 4A 1B, also an A* in a short course but I guess it doesn't really count...

I really wanted to study Chemical Engineering at UCL but I don't think I'm able now, I've spoken to a teacher whilst I was in school today and he said I'd still be predicted an A in Chemistry at A2 and I think I'd be predicted A* in Maths and Biology seeing as I scored highly in these exams this summer. I'd obviously be dropping Physics which is sad because I liked A2 physics a lot, I really did
Reply 1
Original post by laym
My AS Results were kind of disappointing, I got:
Maths-A
Biology-A
Chemistry-B (two UMS from an A)
Physics-C (four UMS from a B)

I've requested my papers back for my Chemistry unit 2 exam and my Physics units 1 and 2 back so hopefully I can find some method marks in them and get them remarked.

However, are these AS grades too poor to apply for Chemical Engineering at a good University? Do you think I could still have a shot at somewhere like UCL?
My GCSE results were kind of average too, 5A* 4A 1B, also an A* in a short course but I guess it doesn't really count...

I really wanted to study Chemical Engineering at UCL but I don't think I'm able now, I've spoken to a teacher whilst I was in school today and he said I'd still be predicted an A in Chemistry at A2 and I think I'd be predicted A* in Maths and Biology seeing as I scored highly in these exams this summer. I'd obviously be dropping Physics which is sad because I liked A2 physics a lot, I really did

Try and bump up chemistry to A and physics to B.

Regardless, you should stand a pretty good chance. I'm not too familiar with ChemEng, but the UCL offer is A*AA-AAB.

That means if you are predicted within these grades, you still stand a chance (I'm not sure how competitive this course is).
Reply 2
In short you will be fine.

After my AS year my grades were as follows:

Maths A2: A
Chemistry AS: B
Psychology AS: B
History AS: C
Biology AS: C

Also my GCSE results were significantly worse at 7As and 4Bs.

Anyway I got an offer after being predicted As in Chemistry and Further Maths - Which I got and now I'm starting in about a month. Essentially if you can get yourself predicted 3 As, and have a half decent personal statement you should get an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest