C1 83 S1 65
    C2 92 S2 43
    C3 90 M1 58
    C4 74 M2 33
    FP1 66 D1 66
    FP2 60
    FP3 13
    results were Maths 470 B and FM 273 E

I thought i could mix and match as long as had C1234 in Maths and FP123 in FM
    Can anyone do the maths and explain to me why i cant and end up with a D for FM and a B for Maths..Its Edexcel

Its really important for me and nobody at my school can explain it to me ,I've read it on the Edexcel website and i dont know why i havent got a B and D.

Thanks
    Sturman

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: Sorry, misread that. Ignore me.

ReputationRep:
    Basically as far as I am aware, you require C1,C2,C3,C4 for maths along with 2 applied modules (could be any modules).
    For F Maths, you need FP1,FP2,FP3 along with 3 A2 applied modules (ie M2-M5,S2 or D2).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sturman)
    hi all
    I got

C1 83 S1 65
    C2 92 S2 43
    C3 90 M1 58
    C4 74 M2 33
    FP1 66 D1 66
    FP2 60
    FP3 13

Can anyone do the maths and explain to me why i cant and end up with a D for FM and a B for Maths..Its Edexcel

Its really important for me and nobody at my school can explain it to me ,I've read it on the Edexcel website and i dont know why i havent got a B and D.

Thanks
    Sturman
    For FM, they have taken the A2 modules + the lowest AS module in order to maximise your A2 Maths

So your FM modules are FP1-3, M2, S2, M1 = 273

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunch_Box)
    For FM, they have taken the A2 modules + the lowest AS module in order to maximise your A2 Maths

So your FM modules are FP1-3, M2, S2, M1 = 273
    Aye, that was what I thought but what OP wants to know is why they couldn't make his FM 303 with FP1, 2, 3 D1, S1, M2 which would give him a D rather than an E and his M 440 with the remaining modules which would give him a B, the cutoff marks being 300 and 420 respectively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mickey2909)
    Aye, that was what I thought but what OP wants to know is why they couldn't make his FM 303 with FP1, 2, 3 D1, S1, M2 which would give him a D rather than an E and his M 440 with the remaining modules which would give him a B, the cutoff marks being 300 and 420 respectively.
    Ah I see what you mean.

I think the system tries to maximise the Maths grade first. Not sure if you can swap the modules around.

ReputationRep:
    There is a table on the edexcel specification issue 3 on page 8 which gives an idea of what modules can go to which subject.

ReputationRep:
    hi all
    I got

C1 83 S1 65
    C2 92 S2 43
    C3 90 M1 58
    C4 74 M2 33
    FP1 66 D1 66
    FP2 60
    FP3 13

Thanks
    Sturman
    Hi,

Using the allowed combos (page 10: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...2%20180510.pdf)

Edexcel give the maximum amount of points to your maths A-level, and the 'left over' points to you further maths alevel. This means you get the highest grade you can possibly have with your maths alevel, and not the highest for your further maths alevel.

i.e.

combos allowed:

maths alevel:

C1,C2,C3,C4 (339)

+
    M1 and S1 (123) or
    M1 D1(124) or
    S1 and D1 (131)
    S1 and S2 (108)
    M1 and M2 (91)

so for your maths alevel they have done C1,2,3,4 + S1 and D1 as they are the highest combo and this gives 470

so this leaves you for further maths:
    FP1,2,3, S2,M1,M2 which gives you the 273.

HOWEVER you can request edexcel to change the combination theyve given you to maximise your further maths alevel grade so your can request they change your combos to:

C1,2,3,4, M1 and M2 (430)
    FP1,2,3, S1,S2,D1 (313)

In summary: ts just their policy to initally present your results with a maximum alevel maths combo, and you can ask them to change your combos.

I dont know the specific grade boundaries so can't advise you on the grade that will give you in further maths/maths alevels.

ReputationRep:
    Using the allowed combos (page 10: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...2%20180510.pdf)

Edexcel give the maximum amount of points to your maths A-level, and the 'left over' points to you further maths alevel. This means you get the highest grade you can possibly have with your maths alevel, and not the highest for your further maths alevel.

i.e.

combos allowed:

maths alevel:

C1,C2,C3,C4 (339)

+
    M1 and S1 (123) or
    M1 D1(124) or
    S1 and D1 (131)
    S1 and S2 (108)
    M1 and M2 (91)

so for your maths alevel they have done C1,2,3,4 + S1 and D1 as they are the highest combo and this gives 470

so this leaves you for further maths:
    FP1,2,3, S2,M1,M2 which gives you the 273.

HOWEVER you can request edexcel to change the combination theyve given you to maximise your further maths alevel grade so your can request they change your combos to:

C1,2,3,4, M1 and M2 (430)
    FP1,2,3, S1,S2,D1 (313)

In summary: ts just their policy to initally present your results with a maximum alevel maths combo, and you can ask them to change your combos.

I dont know the specific grade boundaries so can't advise you on the grade that will give you in further maths/maths alevels.[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    [B] Hi again, Thanks for all the advice, Its a bit conflicting but i'm glad other people understand my problem and it just needs clarifying on Monday morning. I feel/hope that
    starry_n3bula is correct. I understand why kedstar99 is saying u can only use for FM 3 A2 applied modules (ie M2-M5,S2 or D2) I've also read that, however I've done M1,D1,S1 so one of them has to go in FM and whose to say which, surely its in my interest to chose my self.

On a separate note if I was to keep the scores as the were could I resit my my C4 next year [I know January exams are finished] whilst im at uni and should I get say 90% that would give me an A*. Is that possible or do I have to sit the whole thing again.

Thanks

Sturman

ReputationRep:
    I understand why kedstar99 is saying u can only use for FM 3 A2 applied modules (ie M2-M5,S2 or D2) I've also read that, however I've done M1,D1,S1 so one of them has to go in FM and whose to say which, surely its in my interest to chose my self.
    To clarify:

for alevels you need 3 As-level modules, 3 A2-level modules.

Out of the modules, you've done 6 as-levels, 6 a2 levels:

Maths compulsory AS: C1, C2
    Maths compulsory A2: C3, C4
    Further Maths complusory AS: FP1
    Further Maths complusory A2: FP2 OR FP3

AS level modules you've addtionally done: S1, M1, D1
    A2 level modules you've additionally done: S2,M2

(page 11: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...2%20180510.pdf)

Hence the allowed combos. you need for you maths alevel 1 more AS and 1 more A2.

As you've done FP1,FP2 AND FP3 you need 2 more As-level modules, 1 more A2 level module.

So with the combo I sugguested you request to maximise your further maths:

Maths:C1,2,3,4,M1,M2
    Further Maths: FP1,2,3, S1,S2,D1

you have 3 as-levels, 3 a2 levels modules for both your maths and further maths alevel.

I believe this is where people have gotten confused with the '3 a2s' for further maths. Yes you need 3 a2 levels, but you also need 3 as levels for further maths. You are not allowed a combo of say 2 As modules+4 a2 modules as this is not the sturcture for a full alevel.

Hope this helps clarify for you :-)

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks to Starrynebula I know your right and thats what my instincts were telling me it just is reassuring to have it confirmed. If I was to keep the scores as the were could I resit my my C4 next year [I know January exams are finished] whilst im at uni and should I get say 90% that would give me an A*. Is that possible or do I have to sit the whole thing again. That would be another avenue for me to look at.C4 was my favourite of all the units I just messed up on the day and feel sure I could get 90+ if I did it again.

Thanks

Sturman

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.