Lib Dems to scrap tuition fees and council tax Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
And there everyone was worried about them putting taxes up ... quite the contrary and it is the most equitable move i have seen made by any of the mainstream parties - yes i am a Lib Dem supporter but I think it is important that their policies are got across to the likes of students and pensioners who will both be affected by such a policy move.

In addition Charles Kennedy has been quite vocal on his opposition to the war in Iraq on the grounds of mal-practice by the government which used a dossier professing the danger Iraq posed to the world and now we find there is no WMD structure existing in Iraq - thousands of innocent people died and our soldiers have died out there too. Charles Kennedy has been unflinching in his opposition to the government choosing not to support the latest less publicised inquiry into the reasons for war unlike Michael Howard who first supported it and then for reasons of opportunism alone decided to pull out his party from the support of the inquiry.

Quite simply Charles Kennedy and his Lib Dem party are finally ready to assume power of this country as a principled and worthy government unlike the Labour government and the Tory government which have both let our country down during our lifetimes and are both tainted with sleaze and hypocrisy.

Make a stand and vote the correct party in - Kennedy is very well capable of leading this country to a more prosperous position and with the watershed in politics that is about to happen across the pond in USA it would be the most logical choice in my opinion.
Daveo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And when i'm in power I'll make everyone millionaires.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daveo)
And when i'm in power I'll make everyone millionaires.
good for you - but let us be serious for a moment - this is important i think
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
And there everyone was worried about them putting taxes up ... quite the contrary and it is the most equitable move i have seen made by any of the mainstream parties - yes i am a Lib Dem supporter but I think it is important that their policies are got across to the likes of students and pensioners who will both be affected by such a policy move.

In addition Charles Kennedy has been quite vocal on his opposition to the war in Iraq on the grounds of mal-practice by the government which used a dossier professing the danger Iraq posed to the world and now we find there is no WMD structure existing in Iraq - thousands of innocent people died and our soldiers have died out there too. Charles Kennedy has been unflinching in his opposition to the government choosing not to support the latest less publicised inquiry into the reasons for war unlike Michael Howard who first supported it and then for reasons of opportunism alone decided to pull out his party from the support of the inquiry.

Quite simply Charles Kennedy and his Lib Dem party are finally ready to assume power of this country as a principled and worthy government unlike the Labour government and the Tory government which have both let our country down during our lifetimes and are both tainted with sleaze and hypocrisy.

Make a stand and vote the correct party in - Kennedy is very well capable of leading this country to a more prosperous position and with the watershed in politics that is about to happen across the pond in USA it would be the most logical choice in my opinion.
here here....i support lib dems 2- especially now!!!!
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
here here....i support lib dems 2- especially now!!!!
brilliant - I think it is the smartest choice in politics - and Blair is sinking fast
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
good for you - but let us be serious for a moment - this is important i think
Yeah it is serious however I was just trying to make the point we are talking about politicians, look what labour said before 1997, politicians lie unfortunately.
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
didn't going to university used to be free, and you'd also get a grant or something like that from your local LEA to pay the fees...
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daveo)
Yeah it is serious however I was just trying to make the point we are talking about politicians, look what labour said before 1997, politicians lie unfortunately.
well unfortunately we were desperate to get onto a bandwagon which displaced the Tories who were absolutely attrocious as a government. Today i dont think the situation is quite as bad and we will vote with our heads hopefully
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by me!)
didn't going to university used to be free, and you'd also get a grant or something like that from your local LEA to pay the fees...
the old days...
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Kennedy? I think you'll find he may have some trouble - if he ever is made PM (that's v. unlikely).
me!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
labour suck I was against them even when I was 8 years old, in year 4 at school, when the conservatives were still in government, even then I couldn't undertsand why people voted for Tony
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well unfortunately we were desperate to get onto a bandwagon which displaced the Tories who were absolutely attrocious as a government. Today i dont think the situation is quite as bad and we will vote with our heads hopefully
Yeah, I hope so. I haven't made my mind up who I will vote for, it will be Labour or Lib Dem depending on who makes the most effort at campaign time.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by waiting2smile)
Kennedy? I think you'll find he may have some trouble - if he ever is made PM (that's v. unlikely).
why? he is a perfectly good choice for PM - i wouldnt want to accuse you of having too much sympathy for Teflon Tony - but it is quite difficult not to - if you support lib dems then you support the man behind all the policies - quite simple i think
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, do the Lib Dems plan on spending less on public services?

If not, then the scrapping of council tax and student fees will have to be offset by taxation in other areas.

Good God. What's so great about that? It's nothing more than shuffling numbers and robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Any fool can scrap council tax and balance it by adding a couple percentile to income tax.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daveo)
Yeah, I hope so. I haven't made my mind up who I will vote for, it will be Labour or Lib Dem depending on who makes the most effort at campaign time.
good man - by then you will hear of Blair campaigning for presidency in USA anyway
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by Howard)
Well, do the Lib Dems plan on spending less on public services?

If not, then the scrapping of council tax and student fees will have to be offset by taxation in other areas.

Good God. What's so great about that? It's nothing more than shuffling numbers and robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Any fool can scrap council tax and balance it by adding a couple percentile to income tax.
well it might well do - that would be more equitable than taxing pensioners and students in my opinion - and maybe there wont be as many bloody QUANGOs and therefore hopefully it will be less bureaucratic as well
me!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
doesn't Blair want to be head of the EU or something like that
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if you support lib dems then you support the man behind all the policies - quite simple i think

Not neccessarily - that's quite a narrow minded view. Kennedy is simply not a strong enough leader. I doubt he'd be able to stand the pressure.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by me!)
doesn't Blair want to be head of the EU or something like that
god knows - he has his eyes set on more ambitious plains no doubt
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think that at the next election, labout will definately be out....but i'm not sure how the conservatives will do, i personally don't like the new leadership and don't agree with some of their policy, but i don't know if the lib dems have enough support to get into power :confused: i'll be voting lib dem though- much to the disgust of my bf!!! he he
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (51)
26.84%
No (139)
73.16%

Watched Threads