Lib Dems to scrap tuition fees and council tax

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How are the Lib Dems going to make the money to pay for fees and to cover what council tax brought in?

Taxing the rich?
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no-one can compare to the great Paddy Ashdown
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
Not neccessarily - that's quite a narrow minded view. Kennedy is simply not a strong enough leader. I doubt he'd be able to stand the pressure.
well actually it isnt - he has been a strong and principled leader till now - why couldnt he withstand the pressure - you are clearly making assumptions which i think are unfounded - he is responsible for leading the party to a stronger position than it was under Ashdown - under Ashdown no one took the Lib Dems seriously - under Kennedy there is a purpose and a plan
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
doesn't Blair want to be head of the EU or something like that
President of the world? His head is big enough thats for sure he just doesn't have to ability.
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
does it really make any difference who gets in, everyone will get fed up anyway and moan about how cr** the government is, the country still gets muffed up... but I'm sure more people are moaning now than they did a few years ago, or maybe it's just my distorted memory
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gimp)
Taxing the rich?
And ...?
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Gimp)
How are the Lib Dems going to make the money to pay for fees and to cover what council tax brought in?

Taxing the rich?
They are only axeing councial tax technically, there will be another tax in its place however it will be related to income.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
And ...?
From what I've heard that won't cover all the money they've promised to give out, but of course that's not certain because you can't believe what Labour/Tories say. Tax the rich too much and they'll just leave.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daveo)
They are only axeing councial tax technically, there will be another tax in its place however it will be related to income.
maybe they'll streamline the civil service and get rid of the QUANGOs which are so important to the likes of the Tories and Blair and his cronies
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gimp)
From what I've heard that won't cover all the money they've promised to give out, but of course that's not certain because you can't believe what Labour/Tories say. Tax the rich too much and they'll just leave.
good point - and as you said - cant believe what the Labourites and Tories say anyway
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by me!)
does it really make any difference who gets in, everyone will get fed up anyway and moan about how cr** the government is, the country still gets muffed up... but I'm sure more people are moaning now than they did a few years ago, or maybe it's just my distorted memory
let's give the Lib Dems a chance this time
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
and maybe there wont be as many bloody QUANGOs and therefore hopefully it will be less bureaucratic as well
Oh, I'm sure there will. The Lib Dems don't strike me as being particularly big on small government.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by Howard)
Oh, I'm sure there will. The Lib Dems don't strike me as being particularly big on small government.
how so? Kennedy has always stated how he wants small effective government - Labour have been the biggest advocates of control from the centre and nanny-state - Lib Dems will liberalise everything if they can
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well actually it isnt - he has been a strong and principled leader till now - why couldnt he withstand the pressure - you are clearly making assumptions which i think are unfounded - he is responsible for leading the party to a stronger position than it was under Ashdown - under Ashdown no one took the Lib Dems seriously - under Kennedy there is a purpose and a plan
Look i've done my fair share of defending Kennedy however at all times i've kept an open mind but i think you're unwilling to see the flaws in his leadership because you're too consumed with defending him. Unlike most leaders he is without insight and experience - (after all he's never had a job having been elected to Parilament at twenty three years old). His speeches are often wooden and simply never inspiring. Often we only see him doing nothing more than just criticising the government and enjoying some of the tories’ current discomfiture.

p.s: that's not to say I think he doesn't have any good qualities as a leader.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
how so? Kennedy has always stated how he wants small effective government - Labour have been the biggest advocates of control from the centre and nanny-state - Lib Dems will liberalise everything if they can
They are all central control freaks at heart.

Even here in the US where small government is really a big political issue government increases in size with each new administration, regardless of whether it is Democrat or Republican (who of course bark on about small government all the time)

Big departments justify big ministerial salaries and perks.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Look i've done my fair share of defending Kennedy however at all times i've kept an open mind but i think you're unwilling to see the flaws in his leadership because you're too consumed with defending him. Unlike most leaders he is without insight and experience - (after all he's never had a job having been elected to Parilament at twenty three years old). His speeches are often wooden and simply never inspiring. Often we only see him doing nothing more than just criticising the government and enjoying some of the tories’ current discomfiture.
He should fit in nicely then.

A wooden, uninspiring, career politician who's never held a proper job. The country has been run by similar folk for years.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Big departments justify big ministerial salaries and perks.
And supply a lot of useful scapegoats when things go wrong
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
He should fit in nicely then.

A wooden, uninspiring, career politician who's never held a proper job. The country has been run by similar folk for years.
Look i simply don't believe he would make a good leader. I think he's easily influenced by others, timid, and people won't find a leader in him. Now i'm going to log off and somehow reach my psychology lesson on time. Good afernoon to you all and bye x
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
ahem - i am not a bigotted defender of Kennedy - and your penchant for inspiring speakers like Bliar and that younger Democratic candidate is quite disappointing - it shows that you think more along the lines of smooth speaking than real and important issues - Kennedy is making all the right noises and in fact i have heard him make a speech and he is by no means wooden - and Major's job was as an unsuccessful bus conductor yet he led this country (not a great example i know). You are being too short-sighted in your assumptions and assessment of Kennedy - the man has great vision and is very principled - what more could you ask for in a leader - speaking well doesnt mean you are a good leader - it means you can turn peoples heads with delightful turns of phrase whilst never telling the truth - need i say more about the current incumbent
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Look i simply don't believe he would make a good leader. I think he's easily influenced by others, timid, and people won't find a leader in him. Now i'm going to log off and somehow reach my psychology lesson on time. Good afernoon to you all and bye x
is that why it was Kennedy that refused to support this latest inquiry but Michael Howard did and then pulled out all of a sudden? - have you met the man (kennedy) - he is not timid and certainly not easily influenced - he has his own ideas about politics and is not cowed by anyone
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads