Turn on thread page Beta

Lib Dems to scrap tuition fees and council tax watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    Look i simply don't believe he would make a good leader. I think he's easily influenced by others, timid, and people won't find a leader in him. Now i'm going to log off and somehow reach my psychology lesson on time. Good afernoon to you all and bye x
    I agree. Plus the fact he's ginger. (Good God....a ginger PM.....what will they think of next?.....)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    no-one can compare to the great Paddy Ashdown
    Yes, "the only MP that can kill you with his bare hands in less than 2 seconds!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    And supply a lot of useful scapegoats when things go wrong
    Only since Ministers now claim more often than not that they have no knowledge of what goes on in their own department.

Ministers used to have a "the buck stops here" attitude and fall on their sword when things went skewy. Now, it's normally the senior civil servants who are expected to commit career suicide and leave their Minister smelling of roses.

Disgusted

Tunbridge Wells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Yes, "the only MP that can kill you with his bare hands in less than 2 seconds!"
    lol

ReputationRep:
    The Lib Dems will NEVER get into power, I mean come on....half the people in the country don't even notice them. It's labour and tory....that's it.

And as for scrapping council tax and ridding of top-up fees, either the local facilities will go to pot (Ie. no pigs despite how much I dislike them) and Universities will STILL be in a cash crisis. What poor other thing is going to have to go in order to fund that?

Besides the Lib Dems are famously populist, they go either way, sometimes they agree with the tories and sometimes labour (usually depends on opinion polls at the time)

Besides....yellow...ewww

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    The Lib Dems will NEVER get into power, I mean come on....half the people in the country don't even notice them. It's labour and tory....that's it.

And as for scrapping council tax and ridding of top-up fees, either the local facilities will go to pot (Ie. no pigs despite how much I dislike them) and Universities will STILL be in a cash crisis. What poor other thing is going to have to go in order to fund that?

Besides the Lib Dems are famously populist, they go either way, sometimes they agree with the tories and sometimes labour (usually depends on opinion polls at the time)

Besides....yellow...ewww
    And their emblem (unless they've changed it) looks a bit like a snake in the grass.

ReputationRep:
    And their emblem (unless they've changed it) looks a bit like a snake in the grass.
    It's a dumb birdy

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Plus the fact he's ginger. (Good God....a ginger PM.....what will they think of next?.....)
    (accusing tone) I bet you have ginger hair too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    speaking well doesnt mean you are a good leader - it means you can turn peoples heads with delightful turns of phrase whilst never telling the truth - need i say more about the current incumbent
    And you think Kennedy is honest? You're v. naive. All policticians lie, name me an honest one and then i'll relent.

ReputationRep:
    (accusing tone) I bet you have ginger hair too!
    And freckles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    i think that at the next election, labout will definately be out....but i'm not sure how the conservatives will do, i personally don't like the new leadership and don't agree with some of their policy, but i don't know if the lib dems have enough support to get into power :confused: i'll be voting lib dem though- much to the disgust of my bf!!! he he
    I'll take it you haven't read the latest opinion polls or understand how biast the election system is toward labour? Labour are almost defintely going to gain a third term.

ReputationRep:
    And freckles.
    and suffer from stage fright? No i think Kennedy is a likeable character and he has done so much for the Liberal Democrats but i just can't see him being a successful PM.

ReputationRep:
    and suffer from stage fright? No i think Kennedy is a likeable character and he has done so much for the Liberal Democrats but i just can't see him being a successful PM.
    Well, I do declare! Seems we agree on something! <calls 911 and waits earnestly for cardiac team>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    or understand how biast the election system is toward labour?
    Eh?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I do declare! Seems we agree on something! <calls 911 and waits earnestly for cardiac team>
    i know i think i may be on the verge of fainting I'm quite sure i wasn't agreeing with you Howard...i think you're mellowing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    And there everyone was worried about them putting taxes up ... quite the contrary and it is the most equitable move i have seen made by any of the mainstream parties - yes i am a Lib Dem supporter but I think it is important that their policies are got across to the likes of students and pensioners who will both be affected by such a policy move.

In addition Charles Kennedy has been quite vocal on his opposition to the war in Iraq on the grounds of mal-practice by the government which used a dossier professing the danger Iraq posed to the world and now we find there is no WMD structure existing in Iraq - thousands of innocent people died and our soldiers have died out there too. Charles Kennedy has been unflinching in his opposition to the government choosing not to support the latest less publicised inquiry into the reasons for war unlike Michael Howard who first supported it and then for reasons of opportunism alone decided to pull out his party from the support of the inquiry.

Quite simply Charles Kennedy and his Lib Dem party are finally ready to assume power of this country as a principled and worthy government unlike the Labour government and the Tory government which have both let our country down during our lifetimes and are both tainted with sleaze and hypocrisy.

Make a stand and vote the correct party in - Kennedy is very well capable of leading this country to a more prosperous position and with the watershed in politics that is about to happen across the pond in USA it would be the most logical choice in my opinion.
    I don't see firstly how scrapping tuition fees is fair, or how both of these schemes (and the many others they have) will be afforded.

Firstly, the Lib Dem policy is that of a typical third party, looks pleasing on the outside and promising a whole lot more than they can actually give. They LD's know they will not get elected so can put forward a more optimistic manifesto than they would be able to impliment.

Secondly, students in higher eduction gain a huge private benefit from studying at university that ultimatly leads to more money (over a lifetime) and generally a better standard of living. Yes, I agree than the economy/society gains social benefits from these people being educated but to give it to them completely free? This is stupid, they must pay in part for the huge private benefit they receieve from the education they get!

Thirdly, the cost of all these schemes is massive, you can claim that we can just up taxes and it will be ok -> well this is not an election winning policy and I do not wish to see taxes going up to the extent they would ahve to, to fund all these schemes. It is not only the tax rises (which some may agree with), these schemes require huge sums of money, and ultimatly the money the LD's are proposing of pumping into the economy from government finances/ furthering taxation etc could have detrimental affects on the economy as a whole.

The Conservatives, as much as I may hate them and think their tax cut proposals are again unfesiable offer more realistic policies than the Lib Dem's do, once Kennedy and company start to operate in the real world, then they may be the most logical choice - until then gogog Labour!

ReputationRep:
    i know i think i may be on the verge of fainting I'm quite sure i wasn't agreeing with you Howard...i think you're mellowing...
    Yes I am mellowing (a bit) It's not easy being nice to people all the time though (really doesn't suit me) I wonder how long it will last before I suffer a full blown relapse. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Eh?
    The Conservatives if they gain an equal share of the vote, Labour would still have a majority of around 70 in the Commons. The Conservative party at the next election must not just beat Labour, they must demolish them - and that right now just is not going to happen.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.