Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting university in October and I want to buy a laptop/notebook/tablet which would hopefully last the three years, it needs to be reliable and pretty lightweight for carrying to lectures and stuff.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JadeRhianna)
    I'm starting university in October and I want to buy a laptop/notebook/tablet which would hopefully last the three years, it needs to be reliable and pretty lightweight for carrying to lectures and stuff.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What kind of budget do you have?

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to anyone who says a Macbook - they are way overpriced for their hardware and notoriously unreliable/fragile.

Dell laptops are good, solid and well priced. Usually have good deals going on if you order online - had several dell laptops and none have ever failed me despite being through the wars.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Budget? Do you want portable, powerful or both? What are you going to be using it for?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I could afford a MacBook, budget is up to about £500 I guess but preferably around £300.
    It doesn't really need to be powerful at all, I won't use it for games or anything. Just enough to write essays an Internet research! It'd need a long battery life for taking it to lectures/the library?
    thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JadeRhianna)
    I don't think I could afford a MacBook, budget is up to about £500 I guess but preferably around £300.
    It doesn't really need to be powerful at all, I won't use it for games or anything. Just enough to write essays an Internet research! It'd need a long battery life for taking it to lectures/the library?
    thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ohhhhh, DONT GET AN ACER DONT GET A DELL, (sorry but Dells have a tendency to overheat and shut down on their own during vital essay writing IMO) Samsung, Toshiba, Advent, all those make of laptops should be perfectly fine for your needs.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend a Dell Inspiron 15 ~£400.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trix465)
    I'd recommend a Dell Inspiron 15 ~£400.
    Thats what I've got and I hate mine!! getting a new one before uni but I think maybe mines just temperamental

ReputationRep:
    350 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pavilion-G6-...hp+pavilion+g6

355 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/laptop-Black...675188&sr=1-40

370 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Sate...im_computers_3

380 - http://www.ebuyer.com/444485-acer-as...t-nx-m3qek-015

Any more information and I could give a more specific recommendation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloeburling)
    Thats what I've got and I hate mine!! getting a new one before uni but I think maybe mines just temperamental
    Maybe i'm just careful and loving of my tech but never had a laptop/tablet fail on me ever! My ex was like a walking laptop killer, lent her one of my old ones and it died like 5 days later, wasn't happy lol!

The makes I would avoid:

Apple (cost/fragility)
    Toshiba (boring/dull/poor speakers)
    Samsung (I love Samsung tech but their laptops are well known for being unreliable)

Makes I recommend:

Dell
    Asus
    Acer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trix465)
    Maybe i'm just careful and loving of my tech but never had a laptop/tablet fail on me ever! My ex was like a walking laptop killer, lent her one of my old ones and it died like 5 days later, wasn't happy lol!

The makes I would avoid:

Apple (cost/fragility)
    Toshiba (boring/dull/poor speakers)
    Samsung (I love Samsung tech but their laptops are well known for being unreliable)

Makes I recommend:

Dell
    Asus
    Acer
    HAHA, oh god, I've had my Dell a good 2 years but now it just fails on me and I'm so caring to it, but Microsoft just isn't built for Adobe programmes it just crashes, so a Mac was the only option for me, that and when I went for my interview they told me to get a Mac haha, graphic student problems, the price is ridiculous though, I think I would have got a Sony otherwise!

ReputationRep:
    I have a Sony vaio now and I've had three break on me for no apparent reason, so I really need a new more reliable one for this year haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anything but a Dell.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.