Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I am beginning my first year of a BA English with Leicester uni this September and was wondering if any of the students from last years first year students could give me any indication of the kind of timetable i might be looking at? I am a mature student with a child and i also have a job that is 18.5 hours a week, so i really need to try and get some idea of how it may all work ....I'm hoping to choose creative writing for my optional module if this helps?

Any Info would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance to replies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellamannock)
    Hi Guys,

I am beginning my first year of a BA English with Leicester uni this September and was wondering if any of the students from last years first year students could give me any indication of the kind of timetable i might be looking at? I am a mature student with a child and i also have a job that is 18.5 hours a week, so i really need to try and get some idea of how it may all work ....I'm hoping to choose creative writing for my optional module if this helps?
    Hi there! I'm starting this September, so first and foremost, congratulations on starting your degree!

I've looked at the website, and last year they had lectures at 9am and 4pm on Friday for two of the modules, so I don't know if that will remain the same or change. The workshops, as far as I am aware, are not listed on the website.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to help anymore. I just hope there are some 2nd or 3rd year students hanging around who can better answer your questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss.ce.0x)
    Hi there! I'm starting this September, so first and foremost, congratulations on starting your degree!

I've looked at the website, and last year they had lectures at 9am and 4pm on Friday for two of the modules, so I don't know if that will remain the same or change. The workshops, as far as I am aware, are not listed on the website.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to help anymore. I just hope there are some 2nd or 3rd year students hanging around who can better answer your questions
    Thank you very much....and congratulations also I contacted the English department who said there is definitely a lecture on Fridays at 4pm lol, and a study skills session either on a Monday or a Thursday but that's all the info they could give me at this time. Guess i'll just have to wait and see but it would really help if i knew a bit more a bit sooner. I'll keep looking :cool:

See you there then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellamannock)
    Thank you very much....and congratulations also I contacted the English department who said there is definitely a lecture on Fridays at 4pm lol, and a study skills session either on a Monday or a Thursday but that's all the info they could give me at this time. Guess i'll just have to wait and see but it would really help if i knew a bit more a bit sooner. I'll keep looking :cool:

See you there then!
    Loads of students are going to love that lecture :rolleyes:! Yes, especially in your case you need to know so you can sort out the childcare. I'm hoping the timetable isn't too erratic!

Yes, see you there! Not long now!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

Firstly congrats on your results and getting into Leicester! You'll really enjoy it here.

I'm going into my second year of English at Leicester in October, so hopefully I can be of some help. Some basics first, each university year is split into three semesters, in the first you study 3 modules, in the second you study 3 more modules (plus exams for any of the first three which require it), and in the 3rd semester you'll be taking exams for any outstanding modules.

In regards to contact hours, it depends on the module but you don't actually have that many. In the first semester I had 6 contact hours for English modules; 3 for Reading English (1 lecture, 1 seminar, 1 alg meeting), 2 for the Novel (1 lecture and 1 seminar) and 1 hour for Study Skills. Although that doesn't seem much, you also need to do all of the reading required for your seminars on top of that.

Furthermore in first year, every English student must choose a supplementary module, and you'll do a module in that per semester. I had about 3 contact hours per week for my optional module in the first semester, and reading on top of that.

So basically you don't have that many contact hours but the reading takes up a fair bit of time too. As long as you stay organised you should be fine, even with a job. I knew a person in first year who was a parent and they coped fine.

Sorry for the information overload! Hope I helped, if you have any further questions feel free to ask and i'll get back to you asap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeCal)
    Hi there!

Firstly congrats on your results and getting into Leicester! You'll really enjoy it here.

I'm going into my second year of English at Leicester in October, so hopefully I can be of some help. Some basics first, each university year is split into three semesters, in the first you study 3 modules, in the second you study 3 more modules (plus exams for any of the first three which require it), and in the 3rd semester you'll be taking exams for any outstanding modules.

In regards to contact hours, it depends on the module but you don't actually have that many. In the first semester I had 6 contact hours for English modules; 3 for Reading English (1 lecture, 1 seminar, 1 alg meeting), 2 for the Novel (1 lecture and 1 seminar) and 1 hour for Study Skills. Although that doesn't seem much, you also need to do all of the reading required for your seminars on top of that.

Furthermore in first year, every English student must choose a supplementary module, and you'll do a module in that per semester. I had about 3 contact hours per week for my optional module in the first semester, and reading on top of that.

So basically you don't have that many contact hours but the reading takes up a fair bit of time too. As long as you stay organised you should be fine, even with a job. I knew a person in first year who was a parent and they coped fine.

Sorry for the information overload! Hope I helped, if you have any further questions feel free to ask and i'll get back to you asap
    Hey.....

thanks for that, at least i have some idea now of roughly how many contact hours i will have so i can begin to plan more efficiently. Obviously with commuting those hours will be increased. I guess its just a pain not knowing what days and times the contact will be on.....you don't know when we actually receive our timetables and if they are personalised or not do you?

Thanks again and all the best with your second year!

ReputationRep:
    Timetables are personalised; everyone has the lectures at the same time but there are lots of different seminar groups. The study skills sessions are normally split into two groups and the ALG hours are pretty flexible since you organise them with other students and meet up in your own time. I can't remember when you get the timetable, it'd be sometime after student registration though. My best guess is that you'd get it either in the first week of Freshers or slightly before, but i'm not entirely sure, sorry.

Thanks, good luck with your first and enjoy it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.