The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science 2014

Scroll to see replies

what kind of experience, grades and qualifications do the people on here have who have been successful with offers from their universities? I'm entering into something completely different at the moment but going into paramedic science in years to come interests me so much!
Reply 361
Original post by millsiemoo
what kind of experience, grades and qualifications do the people on here have who have been successful with offers from their universities? I'm entering into something completely different at the moment but going into paramedic science in years to come interests me so much!

I have a couple of offers and am just finishing a degree in biomedical science, predicted 2:1.
Work experience wise I don't have much, some volunteering from a few years back. I think it was my academic record and my knowledge of paramedic as a career, where the issues are, what is being done to change it, how the role itself is changing that got me through.

Hope that helps!
Just wondering does any one know if there is a Facebook group for Greenwich Avery Hill paramedic students? Would consider setting one up if I knew any one who was going in September!!

I got given interviews off everyone I applied too, i have ok grades on a btec, i have experience in st john as a AFA and a youth worker, also as a CFR (which has given me so much experience) and meant i could go third manning on the ambulance. Also i've worked in public jobs (bar work/receptionest/waitress ect.) for 6 years which i think also helped.
My advice would be to make sure you know the career, and write a perfect personal statement.. Mine had 18 drafts until i was happy with it.
Original post by MattJMack89
Shall we open up a FB page for Worcester student Para's? Get to know each other etc?
I know people are waiting to hear from other Uni's... Just a thought

Yeah I have accepted :smile: I think you should get on the facey b group!
So excited, got my offer from Coventry. Is there a fb page for this years students?
Original post by ltaylor1995
I'm still waiting to hear anything from Birmingham! It's leaving it really late isn't it, I've got an offer from st georges London which I'd rather go to so I'm really thinking about withdrawing from Birmingham?

I've withdrawn from Birmingham. Got my offer from cov. Apparently the person who does the admissions was on long term leave so they're really behind. My college tutor called them yesterday.
Original post by Natk6
I have a couple of offers and am just finishing a degree in biomedical science, predicted 2:1.
Work experience wise I don't have much, some volunteering from a few years back. I think it was my academic record and my knowledge of paramedic as a career, where the issues are, what is being done to change it, how the role itself is changing that got me through.

Hope that helps!

haha thank you and well done on your offers! :cool::smile: I'm actually just about to graduate too but in an English degree and I'm then going to go on to train to be a primary school teacher. Paramedical science or nursing is something that's really caught my eye as something I'd like to do long term in the future though. I don't think I'd want to teach long term. But I come from an arts background and only have arts and humanities a levels, so if I ever carry this long term dream through I'm wondering what the viable route would be! :confused::eek:
Original post by revron77
Experience:
National Autistic Society - Volunteer - 4 Years
Daycare - Volunteer - 6 Months
Overseas Humanitarian Work - 2 Weeks
Hospital Placement In Cardiology and Surgical Wards - 2 Weeks
St Johns Ambulance - Studying First Aid - 6 Months

Education
Decided on a horrible GCSE route that got me worthless qualifications but got English - Math - Science all at C or Above
BTEC First Diploma in Health and Social Care - D* (A*)
BTEC Extended Diploma in Health Sciences - (D* D* D) (A* A* A)
Then a few other qualifcations

Overall: 540 UCAS Points

Unconditional Offer - Teesside University in Paramedic Practice BSc
Rejected - 1 Paramedic Degree and 1 Pediatric Degree //I wasn't specific enough in my personal statement about the career which is reasonable.
Revoked - 1 Paramedic Degree and 1 Nursing Degree //I loved Teesside that much I just couldn't care less for the other degree programs.

My advise is:
Get good grades and make sure what qualification you are doing actually matters. Always make time to volunteer, but just don't be there! Do real work and learn from all experiences so you can apply them at interview and more importantly when you are dealing with patients... then my last tip is: Research the heck out of the ambulance service and the paramedic role... know it as if you were born to do it! Interviewers love nothing more than knowledge and passion. When I wrote my personal statement I just put all my heart into until I felt it was perfect.. and I guess it was or I wouldn't have gotten a place :biggrin:

Hope all this helps!

thanks for your message! Congrats on your places too! You sound like you got some great experience. What would you advise for someone to get into paramedical science who comes from an arts background? Do you think doing appropriate a levels or taking a diploma, or do you reckon you canjump round doing either if you can get the right experience?
thanks for your message! Congrats on your places too! You sound like you got some great experience. What would you advise for someone to get into paramedical science who comes from an arts background? Do you think doing appropriate a levels or taking a diploma, or do you reckon you canjump round doing either if you can get the right experience?

You might be ok, speak to the universities and see what they suggest (nothing better than getting it from the horses mouth). But i think they may suggest an access course
Reply 370
haha thank you and well done on your offers! :cool::smile: I'm actually just about to graduate too but in an English degree and I'm then going to go on to train to be a primary school teacher. Paramedical science or nursing is something that's really caught my eye as something I'd like to do long term in the future though. I don't think I'd want to teach long term. But I come from an arts background and only have arts and humanities a levels, so if I ever carry this long term dream through I'm wondering what the viable route would be! :confused::eek:

You should into becoming a community first responder. They work closely with the ambulance service and you can pick and choose when you go on call. If you don't have a call then the time is yours to watch tv/housework etc untill you have a call.
My dad was accountant and Is now a responder so it doesn't matter why your background is!
Original post by Jenny Burgin
Yeah I have accepted :smile: I think you should get on the facey b group!

Boom! Well done! Im not the best at all this facebook thing. Here is the link;
https://m.facebook.com/groups/137894966380868?ref=bookmark

This is for anyone going to Worcester for Paramedic Science in Sept 2014.

I'm really excited now, my work are trying to convince me that I can continue working full time... whatevs!
Who's going to Coventry this year? :smile:
Original post by MattJMack89
Boom! Well done! Im not the best at all this facebook thing. Here is the link;
https://m.facebook.com/groups/137894966380868?ref=bookmark

This is for anyone going to Worcester for Paramedic Science in Sept 2014.

I'm really excited now, my work are trying to convince me that I can continue working full time... whatevs!

So excited! See you in September!
Original post by fabiageorge
Who's going to Coventry this year? :smile:

I am!! Theres a small facebook group for people. "Coventry university paramedic science 2014 entry"
Just got a rejection from Worcester :frown:
Original post by TheRealMia
I am!! Theres a small facebook group for people. "Coventry university paramedic science 2014 entry"

Have you got the link to this group? I've been accepted by coventry?
Original post by adriantaff
Have you got the link to this group? I've been accepted by coventry?

Search it into facebook. Using my mobile so i can't get the link.x
Original post by TheRealMia
Search it into facebook. Using my mobile so i can't get the link.x

can't find it on FB.
Have you set it to a public setting so that we can find it? Might still be on private.

:smile:
Original post by fabiageorge
can't find it on FB.
Have you set it to a public setting so that we can find it? Might still be on private.

:smile:

It was open, but heres the link anyway:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/689091761154368/permalink/695914797138731/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending