Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I'm an international student who's really eager to go to Oxford and I would like to have your opinion on something which I find quite hard to consider and decide. It's about whether to study History & Politics or PPE. As you may have noticed, I'm really interested in politics and I'd like to be a diplomat. But I also have an interest in history, and that's what makes it hard to choose for me. Other than that, I've been told that PPE is hard to get into, and people suggest me that if I'm having difficulties to choose, then I should just forget about PPE. What I want to know is that what you think might be the best for someone who wants to be a diplomat and if it's really hard to be offered to study PPE at Oxford. I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vestalis)
    Hey guys! I'm an international student who's really eager to go to Oxford and I would like to have your opinion on something which I find quite hard to consider and decide. It's about whether to study History & Politics or PPE. As you may have noticed, I'm really interested in politics and I'd like to be a diplomat. But I also have an interest in history, and that's what makes it hard to choose for me. Other than that, I've been told that PPE is hard to get into, and people suggest me that if I'm having difficulties to choose, then I should just forget about PPE. What I want to know is that what you think might be the best for someone who wants to be a diplomat and if it's really hard to be offered to study PPE at Oxford. I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this!
    I doubt there's a big difference between PPE and History and Politics in terms of how hard it is to get in. Just have a close look at the content of the two courses - it is very different - and pick the one you like most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vestalis)
    I don't believe PPE is significantly harder to get into than History & Politics, so that doesn't need to be a consideration. All Oxford courses are hard to get into anyway. From what I understand, you can become a diplomat with any degree as long as you get a good result in it - as both courses are suitable, you should therefore pick the one which you have more academic interest in since you're more likely to do well.

You say that you're interested in both politics and history, but are you also interested in studying economics and philosophy as part of your degree? If the answer is 'not particularly', you should go with History & Politics as PPE probably isn't for you.

ReputationRep:
    For 2012 entry, there were the same number of applicants per place for both courses

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.