Do teachers mind if you teach yourself stuff? Watch

Matt1989
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its kinda hard when your class is full of a bunch of thickos! Most of the time I have my hand up and my teacher just tells me to put my hand down. Its not that I've learnt everything before hand, its just that everyone else is so slow. My school ain't particularly good at maths. But now I don't bother picking my hand up, obly if my teachers getting annoyed with everyone showing him blank faces. But it really gets to me at times because I want to speed up a bit. I mean we only have done C2 and S1 in one year. Thats why Im doing it for maself next year. The teachers can't and hopefully won't mind!
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Indeed, the pace of some classes is ridiculous. I get taught alone by one of my teachers for the FP3 module because no one else is doing it, and he does maybe 7 pages of notes in an hour, and it's still all really slow because they're really padded out... but it's better than being in my further maths class, and certainly better than my normal maths class, in which one of my teachers just got out a blue book called "Elementary Analysis" and said "just do some questions from that". It was harder, and infinitely more interesting than bloody C1 work that other people just couldn't grasp. We should be setted rather than grouped in 'option blocks'. Let me learn at my pace, let them learn at their pace, and everyone's happy.
Alone In The Dark
Report 12 years ago
The only reason I could see the teacher getting annoyed is if you use the techniques you would normally learn later to solve your current questions - although this should make the teacher's life easier when marking.

You also have to be careful you understand where something could go wrong in your method if you haven't understood it perfectly.
posterpreviouslyknownascoss:D
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Most teachers won't mind -they should be pleased your taking an interest in the subject. As long as when they do teach you the work they don't end up confusing you by teaching it a different way to the textbooks. I have found that teachers sometimes give easier methods than textbooks. This may be the reason the teacher was annoyed.
sebbie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The only problem I can see with it is if you teach yourself bead habits as these can be quite hard to 'unteach' at a later stage.... plus no one wants a classmate who is a know it all.....
El Matematico
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My teachers didnt mind. I taught myself P2, P3 and S1 so I could take the exams early and finish my Maths A level. That then allowed me to concentrate more on my other subjects, do STEP and read Maths books for University. So if you can teach yourself, I think its definitely a good idea regardless of what your teachers think.
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Alone In The Dark)
The only reason I could see the teacher getting annoyed is if you use the techniques you would normally learn later to solve your current questions - although this should make the teacher's life easier when marking.
I got stuck on a C1 "prove that..." question. So I used induction (FP3). Good times.
Sephrenia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
I got stuck on a C1 "prove that..." question. So I used induction (FP3). Good times.
:rofl: not bad :rofl:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?