Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have been going gym for 4 months, but wanted to know if I have made good progress? I find it hard to tell as haven't really got anyone to compare with.

Stats
    6 foot
    170lbs
    Just turned 19

5RM
    Bench 60kg
    Squat 100kg (Did this about 2 months ago but haven't gone higher as working on form)
    Deadlift 120kg (Only done this 3 times so might be higher, scared of really maxing out)
    DB Shoulder Press 22.5kg each hand

Here is some pics and before someone asks about no leg pics, its because my legs are really hairy and I don't want to be posting photos of them.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    what were your original lifts?

any before pics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat)
    what were your original lifts?

any before pics?
    No before pics, these are the only ones I have, dunno just seems a bit weird to take pics to me.

Starting stats were
    Bench 40kg
    Shoulder Press 12.5kg
    Squat 60kg
    Deadlift I did 60kg first time then 100kg then 120kg last time.

ReputationRep:
    Where are the after pics brah?

Substracting 20kg from the squat, 15 from the bench and 30 from the deadlift to account for e-stats and poor form.

Also, pics of hairy legs nao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPB)
    Where are the after pics brah?

Substracting 20kg from the squat, 15 from the bench and 30 from the deadlift to account for e-stats and poor form.

Also, pics of hairy legs nao.
    They aren't e stats lol who e stats a 60kg bench after 4 months. Literally weakest bencher in my gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeddyEddy)
    They aren't e stats lol who e stats a 60kg bench after 4 months. Literally weakest bencher in my gym.
    Yeah just semi-trolling. Keeping you honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPB)
    Yeah just semi-trolling. Keeping you honest
    Sorry but I ain't posting no photos of my legs. They are ******* nasty to look at

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible to judge your progress on the aesthetics front because there are no before pictures.

Lifts seem good, but again depends where you started. If the bar was a struggle, then 60kg bench is amazing.

So yeah, look fine but you're really not giving us much to go on here...

ReputationRep:
    No before pics, these are the only ones I have, dunno just seems a bit weird to take pics to me.

Starting stats were
    Bench 40kg
    Shoulder Press 12.5kg
    Squat 60kg
    Deadlift I did 60kg first time then 100kg then 120kg last time.
    Thats a really strong starter squat grats on the progress though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would look great with a tan tbh.

But yes good progress.

ReputationRep:
      Sorry about no before pics guys I just don't have any. I was just hoping someone could say roughly where I'm at in regards to other people of similar time frame. Hard for me to tell as most guys that go my gym are older than me, and when you see the weight other people are pushing you don't know how long they have been lifting for. Thanks any way though.

I find squats easy I think as I got really short legs so short range of motion.

ReputationRep:
      Sorry about no before pics guys I just don't have any. I was just hoping someone could say roughly where I'm at in regards to other people of similar time frame. Hard for me to tell as most guys that go my gym are older than me, and when you see the weight other people are pushing you don't know how long they have been lifting for. Thanks any way though.

Here brah I will help you out.

I'm around 85kg, 6'1'', 23 years old and I lifted seriously for 2 years, took 18 months off and mid-April this year I started again from scratch. In that time I've been running ICF novice routine and have taken 3 weeks off total due to holiday and illness.

No e-stat, and as good form as you can get with my schitty mobility. I have quite an active day-job and am limited to working in the evenings. I eat a lot too.

With all that info to help you make a good judgement...these are my numbers for this week.

Squats: 5x5 with 100kg
      Deadlifts: 1x5 with 122.5 (micro-plates if you're wondering why the weird number)
      Bench: 5x5 72.5 kg
      Strict Press: 5x5 45kg
      Pendlay rows (sorta, I do as best I can because my mobility limits me): 5x5 60kg

Enjoy.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SPB)

I'm around 85kg, 6'1'', 23 years old and I lifted seriously for 2 years, took 18 months off and mid-April this year I started again from scratch. In that time I've been running ICF novice routine and have taken 3 weeks off total due to holiday and illness.

No e-stat, and as good form as you can get with my schitty mobility. I have quite an active day-job and am limited to working in the evenings. I eat a lot too.

With all that info to help you make a good judgement...these are my numbers for this week.

Deadlifts: 1x5 with 122.5 (micro-plates if you're wondering why the weird number)
      Pendlay rows (sorta, I do as best I can because my mobility limits me): 5x5 60kg

Enjoy.
      Wow thanks this really helped as you are very similar to me. I started about 2 weeks before you and took 4 weeks of in total for exams and holiday. Your stats are fairy similar to mine but are generally higher. I can do 5 reps at 100kg squat but no way could I do 5x5. That's to parallel but not ATG. Bench you're quite far a head, I don't know why but I suck at bench see people way smaller than me out lift me all the time. Like you I also had prior experience, well sort of, played rugby for 5 years but not in the last couple.

What is ICF like? Was thinking of doing it but was worried about a few things.

ReputationRep:
      Wow thanks this really helped as you are very similar to me. I started about 2 weeks before you and took 4 weeks of in total for exams and holiday. Your stats are fairy similar to mine but are generally higher. I can do 5 reps at 100kg squat but no way could I do 5x5. That's to parallel but not ATG. Bench you're quite far a head, I don't know why but I suck at bench see people way smaller than me out lift me all the time. Like you I also had prior experience, well sort of, played rugby for 5 years but not in the last couple.

What is ICF like? Was thinking of doing it but was worried about a few things.
      Yes, mine are to parallel too, I can't do ATG. Not with my mobility or doing low-bar squats.

As for other guys outlifting you on bench, remember that most average chaps go to gym and make a routine around chest and arms. So they're way ahead of you on chest which is natural. They won't be for long; and you can lol at their chicken legs.

I'm ahead of you because I had 2 years prior experience as a serious lifter so from the start I knew exactly what I was doing with diet, form, etc.

As for ICF, it's a great routine and I personally would recommend it over SS or 5x5. However, it takes about 60-90 minutes which isn't ideal. But Jason Blaha is awesome. Go watch his vids, I watch em err'day, the guy is solid.

Good luck with your lifting goals.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SPB)

Enjoy.
      What were your lifts after 2 years of serious lifting, and what were your aims (fat loss, size, strength?)

I have 3 month pics in my blog. My lifts were similar-- squat was probably better, bench/deadlift probably worse. Lifts don't tell you much if your aim is aesthetics or fat loss-- they're not very relevant at all in that sense. My aim for the first year was primarily fat loss then strength gains-- I was on a deficit then maintenance the entire time, so I obviously didn't put on a huge amount of mass (11kg lost).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by silent ninja)
      What were your lifts after 2 years of serious lifting, and what were your aims (fat loss, size, strength?)

I have 3 month pics in my blog. My lifts were similar-- squat was probably better, bench/deadlift probably worse. Lifts don't tell you much if your aim is aesthetics or fat loss-- they're not very relevant at all in that sense. My aim for the first year was primarily fat loss then strength gains.
      Yeah I haven't really got an aim at the moment just go to the gym, do push pull legs twice a week, with aim to get stronger on compound movements every workout and have some isolation movements thrown in there for good measure. Only aim I has early on was to improve posture. Don't track calories or macros or anything just eat sensibly really.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2013
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.