Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I got 95% in Maths, 89% Physics, 83% Biology and 79% Chemistry at As-level.Is it worth taking all four A-levels to A2 to better my chances of getting AAA orthree? Btw I want to study Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    No advantage or preference is given to candiates with more than three A2 subjects. Take 4 if you are happy to study them all for one more year, but remember that should you miss your offer due to spreading yourself too thinly, medical schools will not give you special consideration on the grounds that you had taken on 4 subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Okay which 3 A-levels should I take then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wackymole)
    Hi I got 95% in Maths, 89% Physics, 83% Biology and 79% Biology at As-level.Is it worth taking all four A-levels to A2 to better my chances of getting AAA orthree?
    I assume you meant Chemistry for one of the two "Biology"s.
    To be quite frank, the strongest medics take the 3 sciences and maths to A2. I studied the same but dropped Bio at the end of AS. I regret it as it meant I had way more free periods (my school has less lessons at A2 anyway) which required me to be much more independant and motivated than in AS. I couldn't meet those needs.

Only if you really hate one of your subjects should you drop it. Medicene's very competitive.

*edit* Also having a 4th subject means you are more protected from disaster. Yes, you will have to work harder, but it means that if you have a horror exam in one of your subjects, you still have 3 others to get A's in.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for the advice DurhamChemist

ReputationRep:
    Hi I got 95% in Maths, 89% Physics, 83% Biology and 79% Biology at As-level.Is it worth taking all four A-levels to A2 to better my chances of getting AAA orthree?
    I take it you meant not to put Biology twice?

It's up to you, personally what I did in a similar position was to take 3 to really concentrate on attempting the A*, which (for me) I would have found difficult proceeding with all 4.

ReputationRep:
    It's not an advantage to take more than 3, so drop one and focus on getting top marks on 3.

Drop the subject you are weakest in or that is least relevant to your career choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DurhamChemist)
    Also having a 4th subject means you are more protected from disaster. Yes, you will have to work harder, but it means that if you have a horror exam in one of your subjects, you still have 3 others to get A's in.
    Thanks, how hard is Chemistry A2 because my only problem was taking 4 A-levels and then not getting a A in chemistry because its the hardest subject for me according to my results.

ReputationRep:
    It's really up to you but at the end of the day it makes little difference. Like the previous poster, personally, I would take 3 and really focus on those subjects alone.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, how hard is Chemistry A2 because my only problem was taking 4 A-levels and then not getting a A in chemistry because its the hardest subject for me according to my results.
    To be honest the content is not that hard at all, in fact there may even be less overall content than in the AS spec but the exams compensate by being tough discriminators. So a lot of work is needed on exam technique and application etc, it was my weakest too.

ReputationRep:
    If you think you can handle 4, then definitely. I started off doing 3 then realised I won't get 3 As so I picked up another one in year 13 and fast tracked it. I managed to get A*AAB (A* in the one I picked up) but it took a lot of work. If you're confident you can get 3 As with only 3, then there is no need for a 4th. Based on my experience though, I would say a 4th is a good idea as it can be something to fall back on. The subject I picked up was psychology, my 2 As chemistry and biology and my B was physics (I also have a B in AS maths). If you feel like 4 is too much work and affecting your other subjects, drop one later on in the year.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    What exam board is it? If its AQA, a lovely soul uploaded some really good notes here on TSR that I used. I got an A at AS and a B at A2 which gave me an A overall. Definitely resit AS modules to bring your grade up. I got a C the first time I sat the unit 4 exam but the notes I found really helped me during my resit. Unfortunately there are no jan exams to resit any A2 modules but resitting AS can help a lot. I can give you the link to the notes if you haven't seen them before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat-lover)
    What exam board is it? If its AQA, a lovely soul uploaded some really good notes here on TSR that I used. I got an A at AS and a B at A2 which gave me an A overall. Definitely resit AS modules to bring your grade up. I got a C the first time I sat the unit 4 exam but the notes I found really helped me during my resit. Unfortunately there are no jan exams to resit any A2 modules but resitting AS can help a lot. I can give you the link to the notes if you haven't seen them before.
    Thanks but unfortunately I am doing OCR salters chemistry

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.