Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long should I wait for a reply for clearing? Will they definitely accept now? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I applied through clearing to York for Mathematics after they made a verbal offer to me, but they still haven't accepted it. I had another offer from the university of Surrey for mathematics too, but that expires tomorrow at 5 o'clock. How long should I expect York to take to reply? I'm really anxious that they won't follow through with their offer and I don't want to lose my back up from waiting... Can they really not accept me after they said they would?
    Also, even though I've added a clearing choice, can I still call up universities to try and get other offers? I just want to make sure I'm definitely going to university this year and I won't be knocked back because a university lied to me. Has that happened to anyone before?

Thank you for your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chees006)
    I applied through clearing to York for Mathematics after they made a verbal offer to me, but they still haven't accepted it. I had another offer from the university of Surrey for mathematics too, but that expires tomorrow at 5 o'clock. How long should I expect York to take to reply? I'm really anxious that they won't follow through with their offer and I don't want to lose my back up from waiting... Can they really not accept me after they said they would?
    Also, even though I've added a clearing choice, can I still call up universities to try and get other offers? I just want to make sure I'm definitely going to university this year and I won't be knocked back because a university lied to me. Has that happened to anyone before?

Thank you for your time
    How long has it been since you added it? They are very unlikely to renege on it. Call Ucas and they can nudge them along a bit. You would need to be released from your clearing choice to go back into clearing, and they are the ones you want to go to anyway, so call them up and ask them what's happening. It's all very busy right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    How long has it been since you added it? They are very unlikely to renege on it. Call Ucas and they can nudge them along a bit. You would need to be released from your clearing choice to go back into clearing, and they are the ones you want to go to anyway, so call them up and ask them what's happening. It's all very busy right now.
    Thanks for the fast reply!
    How long is normal to wait for a response would you say?
    I added it yesterday at 5pm

Sorry if I seem a bit irrational I'm just very stressed about this clearing business haha

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the fast reply!
    How long is normal to wait for a response would you say?
    I added it yesterday at 5pm

Sorry if I seem a bit irrational I'm just very stressed about this clearing business haha
    It's perfectly understandable that you are stressed. It's a stressful time. The 'how long' question is impossible to answer, but a day seems a reasonable amount of time to have been patient, so call them. Do you have any emails? I really don't think they will let you down, though, I really don't.

ReputationRep:
    It's perfectly understandable that you are stressed. It's a stressful time. The 'how long' question is impossible to answer, but a day seems a reasonable amount of time to have been patient, so call them. Do you have any emails? I really don't think they will let you down, though, I really don't.
    I haven't recieved any emails, I did email them to tell them I had added them as my clearing choice like they asked me to but they haven't responded, I will give them a call and ask about it then, thanks again ^^

ReputationRep:
    I haven't recieved any emails, I did email them to tell them I had added them as my clearing choice like they asked me to but they haven't responded, I will give them a call and ask about it then, thanks again ^^
    They've gone through all the procedures as they should by the sound of it, and they will just be busy, but call them and set your mind at rest.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get an email from my clearing choice either. Wonder will it be Monday before we hear back or will they send us a decision over the weekend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katty92)
    I didn't get an email from my clearing choice either. Wonder will it be Monday before we hear back or will they send us a decision over the weekend?
    You may never get an email, I was just asking. Some won't bother with it. If they've made you an offer, they will do it when they can. It's very busy right now. Many of their phone lines are still open, so call them if you are worried, but these things very rarely go adrift.

ReputationRep:
    You may never get an email, I was just asking. Some won't bother with it. If they've made you an offer, they will do it when they can. It's very busy right now. Many of their phone lines are still open, so call them if you are worried, but these things very rarely go adrift.
    Yup, I called them and they said it's literally that their admissions office has all the papers to go through and so many people to add and look through that it'll take them awhile to get to me and then for UCAS to update but he said there isn't anything to worry about ^^

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I called them and they said it's literally that their admissions office has all the papers to go through and so many people to add and look through that it'll take them awhile to get to me and then for UCAS to update but he said there isn't anything to worry about ^^
    Well, there you go. You can have a happy weekend, now.

ReputationRep:
    but these things very rarely go adrift.
    It is remarkable really. Universities that normally couldn't be trusted to arrange lecture theatres for their courses without fouling it up and academics who are incapable of tying their own shoelaces, do manage to run clearing year after year on a wing and a prayer without it descending into chaos.

To worried posters, you can look through TSR threads going back years and there is barely a hint of anyone having the slightest difficulty with getting their clearing offers confirmed. The system does work.

As for Student Finance though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    It is remarkable really. Universities that normally couldn't be trusted to arrange lecture theatres for their courses without fouling it up and academics who are incapable of tying their own shoelaces, do manage to run clearing year after year on a wing and a prayer without it descending into chaos.

To worried posters, you can look through TSR threads going back years and there is barely a hint of anyone having the slightest difficulty with getting their clearing offers confirmed. The system does work.

As for Student Finance though...
    Isn't it, though? I think it's possibly because they use students to man the phones. Younger, more nimble minds, not concentrating on the bigger issues of life, the universe and everything? Who knows.

ReputationRep:
    Well, there you go. You can have a happy weekend, now.
    Hi. I got a verbal offer from a university in clearing and an email along with it, which states that i have 48 hours to decide. Around 2 hours ago, i officially added them on my UCAS. Since then, the university have removed themselves from clearing for 2013. I apprecaite they are busy around this time so i didnt expect them to reply right away.

I am worried that now they are out of clearing/adjustment, that my offer has gone also?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infamous12)
    Hi. I got a verbal offer from a university in clearing and an email along with it, which states that i have 48 hours to decide. Around 2 hours ago, i officially added them on my UCAS. Since then, the university have removed themselves from clearing for 2013. I apprecaite they are busy around this time so i didnt expect them to reply right away.

I am worried that now they are out of clearing/adjustment, that my offer has gone also?
    No, you are one of the reasons it's gone for other people. You have an email, you've decided within 48 hours. Have a fun weekend.

ReputationRep:
    No, you are one of the reasons it's gone for other people. You have an email, you've decided within 48 hours. Have a fun weekend.
    Thanks for the reply! I might chase them up tomorrow just to rest my mind if it hasnt updated by then!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply! I might chase them up tomorrow just to rest my mind if it hasnt updated by then!
    Feel free to do so, but don't waste a moment's sleep/drinking time, whichever you prefer.

ReputationRep:

It is your accepted offer and the other outstanding offers which is why they have left clearing. They can't keep on making offers to people beyond the places they have available.

ReputationRep:
    I have this exact worry! I got a verbal offer from York this morning with no confirmation email and I still havent got a reply on UCAS so naturally I was also worried. I called a few times to ask and they just said they are really busy, but my mind cant really be put to rest until it is all confirmed, however this has all been really helpful. My only concern is the matter of accommodation...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ezxxx)
    I have this exact worry! I got a verbal offer from York this morning with no confirmation email and I still havent got a reply on UCAS so naturally I was also worried. I called a few times to ask and they just said they are really busy, but my mind cant really be put to rest until it is all confirmed, however this has all been really helpful. My only concern is the matter of accommodation...?
    Don't worry, there'll be something

ReputationRep:
    same position! i think it's because of the hectic two days we've had naturally we're worried

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.