Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Quick background info: Offer from Leeds to study Spanish and Chinese last November. Accepted, first choice.

Fast forward to May 2013: found out I was pregnant 3 days after leaving sixth form. Yes I was on the pill etc etc. Genuine accident. Sheer panic, sat my exams just knowing I wasn't going to get my predicted grades (AAA). My head just was not there at all.
    I decided to keep the baby. I knew I couldn't go through with a termination. I knew I'd have to sacrifice everything that I'd spent 2 years working so damn hard to get to but it is what it is.

I got BBC yesterday. Not amazing but so much better than expected given the circumstances. I know a language degree is not possible with a baby, so I've decided to apply for my local uni to study English in 2014. I want to do joint hons English lit and language, looking into going into teaching.
    My question is how doable will an English degree be with a 7 month old baby? Or should I accept it's not going to happen and look at open uni instead?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm a mum of two kids and I could not have done a degree at the same time. That said it can be and has been done but it won't be easy, which I am sure you are aware. You will have to factor in child care, who will look after the baby while you are studying? Will the baby go to a day nursery? If so have you researched the costs involved, you may even get it heavily subsidised but again that will need looking into.
    Is it not an option to take a few years out, or study part time? Babies can slot into your life to a certain extent but its not easy.
    I went back to work as a teacher when my first was 8 months old, 3 days a week and it was so so hard, so much work and teaching and the fact I had I diagnosed PND.
    Anyway I wish you luck for whatever you decide to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claudette)
    Well, I'm a mum of two kids and I could not have done a degree at the same time. That said it can be and has been done but it won't be easy, which I am sure you are aware. You will have to factor in child care, who will look after the baby while you are studying? Will the baby go to a day nursery? If so have you researched the costs involved, you may even get it heavily subsidised but again that will need looking into.
    Is it not an option to take a few years out, or study part time? Babies can slot into your life to a certain extent but its not easy.
    I went back to work as a teacher when my first was 8 months old, 3 days a week and it was so so hard, so much work and teaching and the fact I had I diagnosed PND.
    Anyway I wish you luck for whatever you decide to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My grandparents and my partner's grandma have both offered free childcare while I'm working/at uni. The plan was for me to go to uni full time so I can graduate in 3 years and do my PGCE while baby's in his/her first year of school.

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's handy then (and very lucky) if you have child care sorted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h0llyyx)
    Quick background info: Offer from Leeds to study Spanish and Chinese last November. Accepted, first choice.

Fast forward to May 2013: found out I was pregnant 3 days after leaving sixth form. Yes I was on the pill etc etc. Genuine accident. Sheer panic, sat my exams just knowing I wasn't going to get my predicted grades (AAA). My head just was not there at all.
    I decided to keep the baby. I knew I couldn't go through with a termination. I knew I'd have to sacrifice everything that I'd spent 2 years working so damn hard to get to but it is what it is.

I got BBC yesterday. Not amazing but so much better than expected given the circumstances. I know a language degree is not possible with a baby, so I've decided to apply for my local uni to study English in 2014. I want to do joint hons English lit and language, looking into going into teaching.
    My question is how doable will an English degree be with a 7 month old baby? Or should I accept it's not going to happen and look at open uni instead?
    Hi h0llyyx, I think it will be heavily dependent on the style and intensity of the teaching and workload at your particular uni. I'd advise you to get in touch with the department at this uni, and also with student services or whatever similar office the uni has - I'm sure they'll be eager to advise you on the flexibility of your course etc and I bet there are provisions, or guidelines they have in place for student parents. I imagine that you will have some flexibility in your module choices etc - if you're strategic, you should be able to organize your classes to suit your schedule and your baby's needs, but it's really the uni that can tell you just how flexible the course can be. You should look at the requirements for assessed work, too. If most classes just require one or two big essays or exams a term, that should be easy enough to fit around your life, but if there is lots of coursework, or smaller projects etc that might end up being more difficult. So, check those things out. My hunch is that an English degree is probably a lot more manageable with a baby than many degrees because so much of the work is just reading and you can do this while the baby is napping, or fit it around your responsibilities more easily than e.g. classes or labs.

On the other hand, the OU is fantastic - I did a few modules with them (in English) before I went to uni full-time (I was a non traditional student, too...though didn't have the responsibilities you do). Studying with the OU does require more self-motivation, though - it's definitely not the easier path, I'd say.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.