The Student Room Group

Would you prefer dating someone smarter than you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beccagood95
Already am!
I like how clever he is, although on rare occasion he is slightly condescending. But I tell him off when he is.

:love: That's perfect. Clever guys who are slightly condescending.
Original post by Sloaney Pony
Would be hard to find someone much more so without sounding cocky, I don't really care IMO. I find that people who are very "smart" are often a little lacking in the social skills department anyway (not because of being smart, just how it is).
What do you by social skills, do you mean being outgoing etc?
dont give a **** either way. it's all about his personality, if thats over the roof and rockin, he's got me hooked. oh and he has to be goodlookin in his own way. i wouldnt want a sheldon..i'd die.
Original post by Amelia-Babe
dont give a **** either way. it's all about his personality, if thats over the roof and rockin, he's got me hooked. oh and he has to be goodlookin in his own way. i wouldnt want a sheldon..i'd die.

For me, intelligence is part of personality. :dontknow: I don't know if that applies to you?!
Reply 24
Talking about intelligence my only objection would be to outright stupidity.
Original post by im so academic
For me, intelligence is part of personality. :dontknow: I don't know if that applies to you?!

well he has to be imaginative and inventive&smart in his own way. what i'm trying to say if he's too smart, it could come across as big headed.
Original post by Amelia-Babe
well he has to be imaginative and inventive&smart in his own way. what i'm trying to say if he's too smart, it could come across as big headed.

That's what I would like. :h:
I would prefer it if he was just as smart/if not smarter than me :rolleyes:
Original post by yaboy
Fit + Smarter then me = Perfect Trophy Girl

*than
I would prefer to be with someone who is as smart as me in a different subject so that we could learn of each other but it wouldn't be patronising :smile:
Original post by on-acid
So, this came up in a conversation I had with my friends and due to the varying responses given I was wondering what other people thought.

Q: Would you prefer dating someone who is smarter than you? Same level? Less smart?

And this won't be included in the poll, but out of curiosity... Would you prefer someone who's more street-smart or book-smart?

Reasons would also be appreciated :smile:

A: At least as smart, if not smarter (if only :moon:).

Both "street-smart" and "book-smart" are important.

Reason being I'd almost certainly find them boring to speak with after a while if they were not smart. :sadnod:
Reply 31
I'm pretty certain that I'm smarter than most women, so this situation would never come up.
Erm, they would have to be smart. I don't mind how, or if they want to go to university, or get a job straightaway, or whatever they like, as long as they're doung something. Just interesting to talk to and not ignorant.
I can't vote because I don't want to be misleading, but I'd rather date someone as smart OR smarter than me. As long as he isn't stupider than me, I'm alright.
Ideally as smart, the while challenge each other and joke-fight over who's right and who's smarter really appeals to me.
I wouldnt want to go out with someone that was like sheldon smart! I'd feel uncomfortable with it.
Probably going to get shot down in a flurry of negs for this but, hey ho, just being honest...

My preference would be a girl less smarter than me. Can't explain why but I find it "cute" when girls I've been out with have asked me for help or for information about things they don't know or can't do themselves. Don't necessarily think it's a power/dominance thing, I just find naive girl's more attractive (from experience) :dontknow:

Of course, that's not to say I wouldn't find a smarter girl attractive.
Original post by Anonymous
Probably going to get shot down in a flurry of negs for this but, hey ho, just being honest...

My preference would be a girl less smarter than me. Can't explain why but I find it "cute" when girls I've been out with have asked me for help or for information about things they don't know or can't do themselves. Don't necessarily think it's a power/dominance thing, I just find naive girl's more attractive (from experience) :dontknow:

Of course, that's not to say I wouldn't find a smarter girl attractive.

Dont think theres anything wrong this tbh as long as its not a dominance thing (which you said it wasnt)
Someone the same as me or more intelligent, although if they were maddeningly clever I'm not sure I'd be able to follow them half the time and they'd find me incredibly frustrating to get on with, but if he was clever about physics, well, I know I know nothing about that so I'd probably learn a heap from being with someone like that. However, the best I can do is call my future cat Moriarty and hope he's as smart as his namesake. I'd love a genius cat. Like the one in Coraline. But anyway, someone as smart as me, ideally. That doesn't mean they have to have a degree or whatever, just as long as they can hold an interesting conversation and make their own points instead of agreeing with mine.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 39
As smart as me, because i think if you're of similar intellect that you are more equally matched to that person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending