Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The title says it all. Are your academic qualifications all the tutors consider pre interview? Do they consider your references and PS? Are they given weight? For a prospective medical applicant with good ECs and excellent grades, would a average BMAT be fatal to the application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is only marks.

ReputationRep:
    No it's not just marks. But that doesn't mean dofe would be of any use. They look for extra curriculars for the subject, like wider reading, EPQ, etc...
    Along with marks of course.

ReputationRep:
    They're basically looking for anything that indicates that you'd make a good student for their subject, and academics are often the only guaranteed indicator of that. Personal statement and references are usually taken with a pinch of salt since there's plenty of room for exaggeration, although if there's something particularly impressive in there it's likely to be given some weight. Extra-curriculars are again only taken into account if they add something to your application. I don't know much about medicine/the BMAT, but I'd imagine poor results in that would be quite a blow. Interview performance, however, is perhaps the most important factor in their decision-making, so even if you do do badly in the BMAT I wouldn't rule yourself out.

ReputationRep:
    For Medicine, relevant Work Experience is very important, moreso than for most subjects. Academics, including the BMAT, are still obviously very important though.

ReputationRep:
    After seeing the amount of people that were rejected for missing their offer by like 2 marks in the Summer pool, I'm becoming cynical on the grades side of things. When I applied, I felt that the interview held a lot of weight. I'm warning you now though, if you miss your offer its a nightmare. So if your grades are a bit lower than average and you apply, just be prepared that if you do get an offer you have to meet it, they're so strict, theres barely any leniency. I think if you have slightly below average grades for Camb but you show a really passion and flare for your subject (extra reading, related activities etc) then it'll definitely help. But remember, grades, ultimately, decide everything. I'll probably get negged for this but after this Summer Pool rubbish and seeing friends lose their places I'm fuming with them. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cluck)
    For Medicine, relevant Work Experience is very important, moreso than for most subjects. Academics, including the BMAT, are still obviously very important though.
    what type of work experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JanitaTwain)
    what type of work experience
    Things like working in hospitals and volunteering in care homes. Anything hands on in a medical care environment.

ReputationRep:
    I'm heading to Cambridge this year to read medicine at Robinson. I had very good GCSEs and good AS grades but a pretty dreadful BMAT. I was pooled by my original college in January. They asked me at interview how much help I had had with the BMAT and I just started to laugh because I'd had absolutely none. By no means give up hope, they are obviously prepared to overlook a few less than ideal results. I had a lot of impressive sounding extra curriculars, both work experience related and sport etc. I don't know if they took these into account but they did ask about them in interview and they did seem interested. The feedback I got pre-interview was that they only use these things when deciding between two closely matched candidates, but they can't hurt. Hope this helps.

Oh, and revise for the BMAT... that ****'s a *****.

ReputationRep:
    How would one begin to revise for the BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is pretty much only acadamics. My director of studies admitted only students he thought capable of getting a first. That was his only consideration, he didn't care about sport or the like, in fact he often blames sport when people underperform (speaking from personal experience).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogwartian1993)
    After seeing the amount of people that were rejected for missing their offer by like 2 marks in the Summer pool, I'm becoming cynical on the grades side of things. When I applied, I felt that the interview held a lot of weight. I'm warning you now though, if you miss your offer its a nightmare. So if your grades are a bit lower than average and you apply, just be prepared that if you do get an offer you have to meet it, they're so strict, theres barely any leniency. I think if you have slightly below average grades for Camb but you show a really passion and flare for your subject (extra reading, related activities etc) then it'll definitely help. But remember, grades, ultimately, decide everything. I'll probably get negged for this but after this Summer Pool rubbish and seeing friends lose their places I'm fuming with them. :mad:
    Why is that such a surprise? You get made an offer, you don't make it, the university is under no obligation to let you in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    Why is that such a surprise? You get made an offer, you don't make it, the university is under no obligation to let you in.
    I had my grades when I applied.

ReputationRep:
    He's referring to the fact you explain the obvious (or are surprised by the obvious). If you fail to meet the offer, the University deciding to deal with you any further is a plus :lol: They're under no obligation to do anything further with that applicant.

Your friends lost their place because they failed to meet the offer, simple as that. There's no-one to be 'fuming' at other than your friends.

ReputationRep:
    Read 'you' as 'one'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    He's referring to the fact you explain the obvious (or are surprised by the obvious). If you fail to meet the offer, the University deciding to deal with you any further is a plus :lol: They're under no obligation to do anything further with that applicant.

Your friends lost their place because they failed to meet the offer, simple as that. There's no-one to be 'fuming' at other than your friends.
    I understand that perfectly. The reason I'm angry is because it was by 2UMS - it felt like they weren't seeing sense - 2UMS wouldn't have made a difference on how she would have performed at Cambridge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.