Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Signs someone sees you as a replacement version of an ex-gf who dumped them? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    What are ways of knowing if someone is only interested in dating you due as they think of you as a "replacement" version of their previous gf who dumped him (and he is probably not over it)?
    She looks quite similar-ish (and in same ethnic group) and he says he doesn't have full closure on the breakup..
    Any other tell tale signs?
    Also, is it always bad idea to be with someone who views u as a replacement to their previous gf (even if you do truly like him)? Surely they would be more likely to commit if they such a strong yearning.

EDIT: If their previous relationship ended around 8 months-ish ago..

If anyone has experience with any similar situations, that would be most helpful too.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    When they say they passionately scream their ex's name during intercourse.

ReputationRep:
    If their other half broke up with them while they were in a long term relationship and they get another girlfriend within weeks of the breakup, it's pretty much a given.

The biggest sign is when they admit they're not over the relationship. Other signs include talking about their ex a lot, not getting rid of pictures and items that remind them of their ex (I briefly dated a guy who kept his ex girlfriend's underwear and a photo of her on his shelf- the picture not the underwear on the shelf!), and if they've got with you quickly after the break up. However, it can also go the opposite. Unfortunately my ex boyfriend was a rebound, but I spent two years denying he was, he was the opposite of my ex even down to ethnic group, and I got rid of all of his pictures and presents he gave me. I think maybe the hint with that last one was that my rebound boyfriend was the one I begged to get rid of my pictures- he tried to persuade me to keep some items as memories, but I couldn't even look at them.

It is an incredibly bad idea to date someone if you know you're a replacement. It wasn't fair on my boyfriend and I will regret that for the rest of my life. And having been on the other side, you will never shake the feeling that you are second best. After a few months I was left feeling worthless, heartbroken, and I'm still suffering. He eventually realised he didn't want me, he wasn't over his ex and ended it with me. My advice is to have only a little to no contact with him for a little while so he can get over his ex, and then if he is properly interested in you, things can go from there.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the responses - looking forward to hearing more.

ReputationRep:
    they just wanna ****, to forget about their ex

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? Focus on how he treats you

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your responses so far -
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Who cares? Focus on how he treats you
    I'd like to think in this way but I worry that it's not a good foundation for a relationship as the person's feelings are almost "fake" (though they probably don't realise it themselves).

Please carry on responding. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klopppp)
    the person's feelings are almost "fake" (though they probably don't realise it themselves)
    Substitute feelings are not strictly fake unless they feel fake (to either party), and it's unlikely that any substitution effect crowds out other, more organic, feelings

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the response - looking forward to hearing more.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.