LLB or B.A Law Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ladyluck
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Got offer for LLB law and German at Birm and Nottingahm B.A. LAw and german, whats the difference? i checked the yearly breakdown of topics it seems identical...anyone know?
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ladyluck)
Got offer for LLB law and German at Birm and Nottingahm B.A. LAw and german, whats the difference? i checked the yearly breakdown of topics it seems identical...anyone know?
do they both give you graduate basis for registration to the law society? they have to cover the 7 core modles to do this- you want the graduate basis for registration.....i would think the LLB would be better and more likely to give you this- but best to check......a straight law degree is LLB so that is what i would suggest you went for if you want to go into law.
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
As far as I know, The LLB is much more respected by law firms if you're looking for a law career and offers more excemptions from profeesional exams and stuff. I think it's the one to go for if you want a career in law, wheras the B.A is more for people who just want to learn about the law as an interest but don't want to persue a career in it (not that you can't do that with it).
I may be wrong though.....
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
As far as I know, The LLB is much more respected by law firms if you're looking for a law career and offers more excemptions from profeesional exams and stuff. I think it's the one to go for if you want a career in law, wheras the B.A is more for people who just want to learn about the law as an interest but don't want to persue a career in it (not that you can't do that with it).
I may be wrong though.....
that's kinda what i was trying to say....go 4 the LLB and come to birmingham with me!!
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
An LLB is set by the law society whereas the content of a BA is decided by the individual Uni.
samd294
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
omg, you really should have thought about this before you applied! A BA law degree qualifies you for a career in law in no way whatsoever, it exempts you from no exams at all. Only do this f you are sure that you dont want to have a career in law, which you probably arent.
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by samd294)
omg, you really should have thought about this before you applied! A BA law degree qualifies you for a career in law in no way whatsoever, it exempts you from no exams at all. Only do this f you are sure that you dont want to have a career in law, which you probably arent.
what this means is that after your lawdegree you would still have to do the 1 year conversion course, like anyone who wanted to be a lawyer and handn't done a law degree.... with the LLB you could skip this year and go straight into training....
DO THE LLB
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
An Oxford law degree is a B.A and is a qualifying law degree.
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
jiberish
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's true that some BA's won't exempt you from exams, but as long as the BA you've applied to has the 7 core modules then it will. From what I've researched employers don't really care whether you have a BA or an LLM. My tutor told me to close my eyes and put my finger on one as a method of choosing, there really is not much difference between the two.
Rosy
Report 15 years ago
Yes, it doesn't make any difference whether it's an LLB or BA. To get professional exemption for the solicitor / barrister route you need to study Constitutional law, Criminal, Tort, Contract, Land, Equity/Trusts, and EU law. Double check the Law Society / Bar Council websites.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It should be fine if you're doing the BA instead of the llb....most uni's courses for BA law still mean you do the 7 core subjects needed to pursue a career in law...i think the difference is that BA's tend to give you a wider range of non-law specific options...as opposed to the LLB law which has almost all the modules closely linked directly to law....i think....

G
George-W-Duck
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
It should be fine if you're doing the BA instead of the llb....most uni's courses for BA law still mean you do the 7 core subjects needed to pursue a career in law...i think the difference is that BA's tend to give you a wider range of non-law specific options...as opposed to the LLB law which has almost all the modules closely linked directly to law....i think....

G
That was my impression too, the BA in law is designed for those students who want to do modules in other subjects, however, in order to encourage more applicants the 7 core modules are still available though i dont think the are compulsory.
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
That was my impression too, the BA in law is designed for those students who want to do modules in other subjects, however, in order to encourage more applicants the 7 core modules are still available though i dont think the are compulsory.
Thanks! yeah i read the law society guide it says BA is the same as LLB in that respect but cus i am doing german i can take options in german history / lit whatever as well as the language.

ANd cambridge do BA law not LLB so it cant be bad!
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
DO you honestly think i am that stupid to waste a choice on a course that wouldnt qualify me if i wanter to take that route?!
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thats not true at all. With the BA you can get some exemptions but you need to check what they are with the individual law department.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
DO you honestly think i am that stupid to waste a choice on a course that wouldnt qualify me if i wanter to take that route?!
Of course not!!! It's up to you what you decide to do....it might be easier initially taking the option to do the BA but still qualify you....but you may be better off on the whole by taking a different route.

However....i think i remember reading in the notts prospectus that the BA gives you the options to have a qualifying degree, but you have to make sure you choose the right topics to study....so you should check this out.

G
teamvillage
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
As far as concerns Nottingham, the BA simply lets you choose a couple of modules from outside the Law School. As long as you take the core law modules (and you'd be silly not to), the degree will be a qualifying law degree and make nada difference to potential employers. In fact some even favour it, as it shows a broader education and outlook.

Hope this helps
house badger
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I had this problem when I was applying for law+french at Nottingham and law+lse(fr) at Oxford and I simply emailled the head of faculty and asked. The BA/LLB distinction is simply to do with how the Univeristies categorise their degrees and noting to do with whether degrees are qualifiying or not. As long as you cover the core modules in makes no difference. The both equally well respected. Oxford/Cambridge/Notts are probably the top three unis for law (oh yeah and LSE) so don't worry about it until you come to choose your modules.
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
(Original post by teamvillage)
As far as concerns Nottingham, the BA simply lets you choose a couple of modules from outside the Law School. As long as you take the core law modules (and you'd be silly not to), the degree will be a qualifying law degree and make nada difference to potential employers. In fact some even favour it, as it shows a broader education and outlook.

Hope this helps
Thanks very much yeah that has reassured me no end!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.16%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.25%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (90)
19.61%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (185)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.58%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.1%