Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I did bad in my AS level exams, is there still hope for medical school? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I got my results yesterday (AS) and wasn't please with what it had to say.

B (226/300) - maths
    C (201/300) - Chemistry
    D (169/300) - Physics
    D (171/300) - Music

As you can see those results are never going to get me into medical school or even looked at. However, i have still got the ambition to study medicine and still think there may be hope but i would like others opinion on my thoughts...
    This year (honestly) i didn't try my hardest or close to what i know i can. I did some revision for maths but that's about it. I know that the next year (A2) is again marks out of 300 so i was thinking of putting all my effort in this time. In everyday from 4pm-10pm from september to june next year. If i do this i may be capable of the following grades...

A* (A2 exam 270/300) overall (496/600) - Maths
    B (A2 exam 219/300) overall (420/600) - Chemistry
    B (A2 exam 251/300) overall (420/600) - Physics

Then pick up Biology and get A/B at AS level with my D in music aswell.

Thus leaving me with A*BBad

I would have work experience, volunteer work for the british heart foundation, volunteer work for a befriending service with elderly people and show a personal interest in medicine

My overall question is, if i was to achieve all of the above next year, take a Gap year out and apply for 2015, would a place at medical school be realistic?

Any advice/help/input would be greatly appreciated - Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hipered301)

B (226/300) - maths
    C (201/300) - Chemistry
    D (169/300) - Physics
    D (171/300) - Music

As you can see those results are never going to get me into medical school or even looked at. However, i have still got the ambition to study medicine and still think there may be hope but i would like others opinion on my thoughts...
    This year (honestly) i didn't try my hardest or close to what i know i can. I did some revision for maths but that's about it. I know that the next year (A2) is again marks out of 300 so i was thinking of putting all my effort in this time. In everyday from 4pm-10pm from september to june next year. If i do this i may be capable of the following grades...

I would have work experience, volunteer work for the british heart foundation, volunteer work for a befriending service with elderly people and show a personal interest in medicine

My overall question is, if i was to achieve all of the above next year, take a Gap year out and apply for 2015, would a place at medical school be realistic?

You need AAA to be in with any chance at all. There are a couple of foundation programmes if you meet certain socioeconomic and/or academic criteria, but they are few and far between.

ReputationRep:

B (226/300) - maths
    C (201/300) - Chemistry
    D (169/300) - Physics
    D (171/300) - Music

I'm in a similar situation to yourself, I got BBBD and I'm going resit 2 of my modules and take a gap year. However I agree with the person above, your going to need at least AAA at the end of year 13.
    My advice would be to resit 1 module in both chemistry and physics to get your AS grades up to at least a B, pick up AS biology as planned and hopefully at the end of A2 you'll have A*AAad.
    It will be difficult, especially as all our exams this year will be in may/June. But if you do put all your effort in this year as you say your going too, I have no doubt you'll achieve those grades.

By the way, what exam board are you with for Chemistry and Maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SavannaC)
    I'm in a similar situation to yourself, I got BBBD and I'm going resit 2 of my modules and take a gap year. However I agree with the person above, your going to need at least AAA at the end of year 13.
    My advice would be to resit 1 module in both chemistry and physics to get your AS grades up to at least a B, pick up AS biology as planned and hopefully at the end of A2 you'll have A*AAad.
    It will be difficult, especially as all our exams this year will be in may/June. But if you do put all your effort in this year as you say your going too, I have no doubt you'll achieve those grades.

By the way, what exam board are you with for Chemistry and Maths?
    Maths was MEI (OCR), Chemistry was OCR i re-sat a test which i got 41/90 on and only managed 49/90. That is the moduale that is letting me down and i dont think i could impove on my physics results like you said i will have all the exams at the same time making it harder.
    I am however entitled to the A2B schemes so i could get the B in physics leaving me with A*ABad which may get me in ...

ReputationRep:
    Maths was MEI (OCR), Chemistry was OCR i re-sat a test which i got 41/90 on and only managed 49/90. That is the moduale that is letting me down and i dont think i could impove on my physics results like you said i will have all the exams at the same time making it harder.
    I am however entitled to the A2B schemes so i could get the B in physics leaving me with A*ABad which may get me in ...
    That still won't get you in. If you don't have AAA it is physically impossible to get in. You get cut out of the system without even a goodbye unless you can present a valid set of extenuating circumstances

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I do OCR chem too, I do Chem A not salters though, we could help each other out next year
    I know people say be realistic but believe in yourself a little more, you could be surprised if you gave chem or physics another shot.
    Though I agree with dutchyboy, even though at almost any other standard your results WILL be amazing and it'll be clear how hard you had to work to get them. With the foundation year courses (if thats what you mean by A2B schemes?) your choices will be very limited and they're likely to be a little more competitive. Like you said you MAY get in, it's not definite. I would say Its better to give yourself a bigger option, and for all med schools you'll need at least 3As. But it's your call.

However, could I suggest (this probably sounds crazy) taking AS&A2 biology in the same year and dropping physics if your teachers would allow it. It doesn't seem as though you like physics that much.

Once again this is your call, do what you think is best Im not trying to force my opinions on you. I just want to help out a fellow TSR'er lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.