Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad AS exam results is there still hope for medical school Watch

ReputationRep:
    I got my results yesterday (AS) and wasn't please with what it had to say.

B (226/300) - maths
    C (201/300) - Chemistry
    D (169/300) - Physics
    D (171/300) - Music

As you can see those results are never going to get me into medical school or even looked at. However, i have still got the ambition to study medicine and still think there may be hope but i would like others opinion on my thoughts...
    This year (honestly) i didn't try my hardest or close to what i know i can. I did some revision for maths but that's about it. I know that the next year (A2) is again marks out of 300 so i was thinking of putting all my effort in this time. In everyday from 4pm-10pm from september to june next year. If i do this i may be capable of the following grades...

A* (A2 exam 270/300) overall (496/600) - Maths
    B (A2 exam 219/300) overall (420/600) - Chemistry
    B (A2 exam 251/300) overall (420/600) - Physics

Then pick up Biology and get A/B at AS level with my D in music aswell.

Thus leaving me with A*BBad

I would have work experience, volunteer work for the british heart foundation, volunteer work for a befriending service with elderly people and show a personal interest in medicine

My overall question is, if i was to achieve all of the above next year, take a Gap year out and apply for 2015, would a place at medical school be realistic?

Any advice/help/input would be greatly appreciated - Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you hoping to ultimately achieve A*BBad overall? Sorry I may have read your post wrong

Ok, so firstly a typical offer for Medicine right now is AAA, so obviously you'd need to achieve that for any medical school to even look at you (as you'd be applying after you get your A2 results, right?). Bear in mind that the typical offer MAY go up to A*AA by the time you come to apply (although I think this is very unlikely), so there is no harm in aiming for A*AA.

Secondly I would advise you to try to achieve these grades by the end of the next academic year (I.e. so you have only spent 2 years of A Level study rather than 3- remember taking exams in a gap year counts as 3 years of study). This is because universities can be picky when students do A Levels over three years rather than two; you need to explain why you needed an extra year, and it can be hard to convince them to allow this if you don't have mitigating circumstances.

Also, your lack of Biology would restrict the number of universities you could apply to (not by much, as many allow physics and maths in the place of Biology- check with individual universities). For example, Liverpool wants biology and chemistry, whereas Sheffield wants chemistry and physics/maths/biology.

Be careful taking up biology AS - it is a difficult A Level and is not to be taken lightly! If I were you (and of course you can disagree with this), I would continue with chemistry, physics and maths and leave biology, and just apply to the universities that allow this combination.

Some universities require a fourth AS at grade B or C. Many don't though, so you may not need to resit music.

To conclude (hehe):

1. Next year, just continue with chemistry, maths and physics. These are difficult subjects so you don't want to be distracted with a extra two AS subjects.

2. Resit any AS exams in these subjects that you needed to pull your overall grades to at least AAA.

3. Apply to universities where you have the best chance of getting in, I.e.those that don't require biology or a fourth AS.

In my experience, I resat my entire chemistry A Level, AS and A2, at the end of year 13 and almost achieved an A* after getting a low B initially at AS. Also, my friend pulled up her grades from ABBB to AAAA. I think it is definitely possible for you to do this, just don't lose your motivation!

Also it is MEGA MEGA important for you to SMASH it in the work experience area, as you will have a whole year to fill!

I applied to medicine this year, I got into Manchester so if need any help or anything, I'd be more than happy to give it

Anyways that is my advice Good luck! X

ReputationRep:
    You must have a minimum of AAA at A2 achieved in a two year period. If you fail to get this, some unis accept resits in a third year, although most only if there are extenuating cirumstances, which wouldn't appear to apply to you. But read the resit page in the wiki - you may find one or two places you can apply to after resits. Can I just ask, if you wanted to study medicine, didn't you realise you would need to work hard and get good AS grades?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.