Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all.

I'm moving down to London from Glasgow for University and need some advice about job hunting in London. All of my fees for accommodation have been paid (with my loan) and I am able to move in the day before I start Uni (22nd Sep). I then will only have about a couple hundred pounds to live on until I can find work. I do have family who will be able to help me if needs be but I am hoping to find work A.S.A.P

The problem I'm having is when I should start applying for jobs!?? Do I apply now and hope that I get an interview when I eventually arrive in London? Or do I need to wait until I am actually in London before applying as there would be no chance for me to come attend an interview before the 23rd. Really stuck on what to do here and panicking like hell!!!

Also if anyone has any good websites to find jobs especially for students and in London, I'd really appreciate it if you could share with me.

Thanks

What kind of work are you looking for ?

I know that a lot of places like bars and pubs you can just waltz in and ask them, and usually they will say yes or no...

Otherwise be very wary of Gumtree, and NEVER pay anyone for training or anything. These are scams !

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by aspiringwhatever)
      What kind of work are you looking for ?

I know that a lot of places like bars and pubs you can just waltz in and ask them, and usually they will say yes or no...

Otherwise be very wary of Gumtree, and NEVER pay anyone for training or anything. These are scams !

Well I'm looking for something that can offer me the hours I need. Hoping to work weekends and one or two days a week after Uni. Mostly looking for retail works, bar/pub, hotel, catering.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.