Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For AS I got

Biology: U
    Chemistry: U
    Maths: D
    Physics: U

I know it's stupid but I really didn't try, I only started revising a night or 2 before the exams.

I really don't want to drop any subjects and I want to carry them all on at A2, but then I also want to get all A's at A2, so I think it would more sensible to drop a subject.

Do you think I can keep all 4 subjects and get A's, or would it be better to drop one?

I've decided to retake the year!

It was my own stupid fault for not revising!:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Well, you'll have to retake the year with those if you're planning on going straight to uni after A2's - unis won't like the look of your AS grades, no matter what your predicted grades may be.

And no, don't take 4 A2's. You won't be able to handle it, let alone get A's.

And, quite frankly, get your arse in gear. It's obvious that last night revision will not cut it at this level, sort your work ethic out.

ReputationRep:
    Retake year 12. Your teachers won't give you a good prediction combine with the almost impossibility of a PStatement being able to overhaul that set of grades.

Retake the 4 AS's if you wish, and drop one for A2. 3 Years for A levels isnt too uncommon dont worry.

ReputationRep:
    It's mathematically impossible to achieve an A grade over all if you have a U grade in AS.

You'll have to re-take this year if you want straight A's in your A levels. And honestly, I'd advise to retake it anyway; I highly doubt whether any university will offer a place with DUUU. It does demonstrate laziness, sorry to say, and they'll likely not be willing to invest in a (possible) lazy candidate. But if you retake AS and work really hard, then this year would just be character building!

I hope next year goes better for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    Retake year 12. Your teachers won't give you a good prediction combine with the almost impossibility of a PStatement being able to overhaul that set of grades.

Retake the 4 AS's if you wish, and drop one for A2. 3 Years for A levels isnt too uncommon dont worry.
    (Original post by MichaelB6)
    It's mathematically impossible to achieve an A grade over all if you have a U grade in AS.

You'll have to re-take this year if you want straight A's in your A levels. And honestly, I'd advise to retake it anyway; I highly doubt whether any university will offer a place with DUUU. It does demonstrate laziness, sorry to say, and they'll likely not be willing to invest in a lazy candidate. But if you retake AS and work really hard, then this year would just be character building!

I hope next year goes better for you!

I've decided to drop a subject, but why would I have to retake the year, I've already revised for my AS exams that I'm planning to retake so wouldn't it be fine to do the exams again, and I know universities will reject me but then I can apply through adjustment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleBoxes)
    I've decided to drop a subject, but why would I have to retake the year, I've already revised for my AS exams that I'm planning to retake so wouldn't it be fine to do the exams again, and I know universities will reject me but then I can apply through adjustment?
    It will be clearing, not adjustment, and there'll be no guarantee your preferred course/uni will be there. Honestly, I'd retake the year and apply with a solid set of AS results.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you think you can cope with the extra work load. A2 is a lot harder than AS, and I don't think I could imagine taking 10 (or maybe more? I'm not sure how many exams are set for your subjects ) exams at the end of the year haha. I struggled with revision/time management with 5 exams, so . I personally would just re-take the year.

I nearly flunked out this year and my original plan was to just re-take my A2's, and my tutor said that they actually appreciate 'mature' students who have done an extra year or two at college (dunno if that's true, just what my tutor said). So doing an extra year could actually be beneficial all round. /shrug

ReputationRep:
    Essentially you have 1 AS level, and a lot of colleges have policies where should need an E to carry on.
    If you did all the exams at once, it will break even the best of students due to the sheer work and memorisation required. By means go ahead but your college will be very reluctant

Also adjustment is for students who have an offer but exceeded that. With 1 D AS level, I very much doubt any would give you an offer. You will be clearing instead which is a lot more populated.

What do you plan to study may i ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why are you makin it hard for yourself. Next year in the summer your ganna have 3 Bio and 3 Chem AS exams (including Empas) and then 3 AS maths exams AND you still have your A2 exams which are harder and require more revision time. Your ganna end up with 18 exams in the summer if you want all A's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Badman1231)
    Why are you makin it hard for yourself. Next year in the summer your ganna have 3 Bio and 3 Chem AS exams (including Empas) and then 3 AS maths exams AND you still have your A2 exams which are harder and require more revision time. Your ganna end up with 18 exams in the summer if you want all A's.
    O_O 18 exams?!

If you honestly think you can do that OP then I applaud you haha. Like I said, I struggled with time management with 5 exams! lol

18... just no. xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    Essentially you have 1 AS level, and a lot of colleges have policies where should need an E to carry on.
    If you did all the exams at once, it will break even the best of students due to the sheer work and memorisation required. By means go ahead but your college will be very reluctant

Also adjustment is for students who have an offer but exceeded that. With 1 D AS level, I very much doubt any would give you an offer. You will be clearing instead which is a lot more populated.

What do you plan to study may i ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not sure yet, I wanted to do natural sciences but I've accepted the fact that I can't because I need A*AA and I've just failed my AS's. I'm thinking about pharmacy or medical science because I saw them in clearing this year so it might be there next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelB6)
    O_O 18 exams?!

If you honestly think you can do that OP then I applaud you haha. Like I said, I struggled with time management with 5 exams! lol

18... just no. xD
    17 I got an A in core 1...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I would be very surprised if you'd be allowed to carry on your subjects to A2. Better off resitting, imo.

ReputationRep:
    From personal experience retake the year, the work load would be too much. i took AS history in year 11 and got a C but wanted an A so decided to carry on to A2 and retake both AS exams in January but the work load was so high that it messed up my other subjects and in the end i had to drop back and retake AS history and work extra hard over Xmas to catch up on work for my other 3 subjects. And that was just 1 subject....

ReputationRep:
    Well if you got U's it is clear you are going to do some serious work on those modules to get them high.. this along with having to do A2 which is a step up all in May/June I honestly can't see ending well.. That is even if your college allow you to continue, a lot won't let you continue a subject if you got an E/U. If I was you I'd resit the year, it's a year more but if you actually put the effort in you are far more likely to come out with A's.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.