Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I apply for a course that asks for AAB when i got ABCC in my AS levels? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was predicted in my AS levels AAAA
    I got: Geography: A, Economics and Business: B, Maths: C, Spanish: C
    My results weren't great but I was extremely lazy over the last year (I'm fixing that dw) and I did actually have health issues during the exam season (not trying to find excuses), my ambition is to do economics. I am willing to retake my maths modules next year and I know I can achieve at least a B, but i don't know if unis will take this into account.

Any advice or thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the university & the course applied for, and it depends on your final A-levels, not what you get for AS.

ReputationRep:
    But your offers are based on AS level results which also affect your predicted grades?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Your predicted grades will play a big part, with those grades it is fairly likely you could be predicted what the university is asking for so you shouldn't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    i got those AS results too, was predicted AAAE haha! but somehow got A C C B! i totally freaked out on results day as i got a C in classics and want to do that at uni, most of the courses i want are A A A or A A B, but my school told me not to panic, as they can still predict me As! I plan on resitting modules this year, all it means is that i cant apply for oxbridge anymore

ReputationRep:
    sorry to hear it, i guess i am in the same boat because fore economics most unis want minimum B, some even A* (e.g. LSE) I just pray to god they pay more attention to our predicted grades because with a bit of convincing I can get AAA prediction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K0ch)
    My results weren't great but I was extremely lazy over the last year (I'm fixing that dw) and I did actually have health issues during the exam season (not trying to find excuses), my ambition is to do economics. I am willing to retake my maths modules next year and I know I can achieve at least a B, but i don't know if unis will take this into account.

Any advice or thoughts?
    I'm doing geography at Lancaster Uni who asked for AAA but accepted me with ABB and A* in extended project and I got ABBD at AS level but pulled the D up to an A but resitting one exam! I think you should be able to pull up the ones you need and if your motivated and are clever with the modules you resit it is possible!

Most uni's look at predicted grades more than anything else - it's common for students to get lower AS levels as it's such a step up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K0ch)

Any advice or thoughts?
    Yes, 100% go for it. You will need to work though, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'm doing the EPQ too, apparently some universitiyes lower the offer by a grade which is brilliant for me knowing if i get my head around it, I can get a great result and I'll be retaking modules next June of course. The only thing I'm worried about is sitting 13 or so exams in June since January exams have been abolished...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K0ch)
    Thanks, I'm doing the EPQ too, apparently some universitiyes lower the offer by a grade which is brilliant for me knowing if i get my head around it, I can get a great result and I'll be retaking modules next June of course. The only thing I'm worried about is sitting 13 or so exams in June since January exams have been abolished...
    Yes EPQ definitely helps - it helps my application and acceptance loads!

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the uni, but in my case they did.

AS I was predicted AABC, and achieved ABBE. I applied to three 'average' places, and two universities (Norwich and Sussex) that asked for AAA and AAB respectively. Both offered me a place.

Places like Oxford and Cambridge probably won't offer you a place (sorry to say ) but yes, it's totally possible to be offered a place on those grades!

Congrats on your results by the way
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can, what were your UMS marks in the two C's and the B? You could haggle with your teachers if they were borderline to the grade above, and get them to predict you that grade. Also do an EPQ as universities look at them very favourably.

ReputationRep:
    i got exactly 80% in geo, just scrapping an A, e&b strangely i only just got a B although I know i'm strong in that subject just messed up my exam technique, spanish was a strong C (in my january mocks i got a B!!!), maths scrapped a C (I got A* in GCSE fast track maths, and have always been in top of the class just i really messed with revision, i was getting As and Bs in mocks throughout the year) (Not making excuses but i did have health issues...)

My plan at the moment is to cash in geo as i don't particularly feel like continuing with it,
    continuing with e&b, spanish and maths but i will retake at least one module in each subject (2 in spanish of which one is a speaking, all 3 maths but they should get easier as i progress with a2 and one in e&b which i got a low C in....)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.