The Student Room Group

Extenuating circumstances ruined my results.. What should I do?

Extenuating circumstances ruined my results.
How would claiming extenuating circumstances help my UNI application and what do I need to do?

Feeling really depressed about this don't know what to do..
HELLO! You are in the same boat as me, I am so glad I'm not alone. (Sorry for the caps lock, I'm just excited to finally be able to help somebody with this.) You really need to clarify what these extenuating circumstances are, and which examinations you've just taken. Let's handle the extenuating circumstances first.

The ones that "count" are, as far as I recall:

recent death or serious illness in the family (i.e. not your brother getting cancer when you were 2)
chronic and/or life-threatening illness (including mental illnesses: bipolar disorder, leukaemia, etc)
recent significant disruption to your education (i.e. not moving countries mid-year when you were 12)

If your reason falls into one of those areas, then universities will make allowances for you (within reason).

Now, onto your stage in applying to uni. If you've just received the results of your GCSE / AS exams, then please don't worry: fully explain the circumstances in your PS, and get your referee to include a few sentences about it too as confirmation. It may even be appropriate to get a doctor's note (for instance, if your referee doesn't know about whatever's happened to you).

If these are A2 results you've just received, then I'm afraid the only advice I can offer is for you to call the university's admissions officer(s) as soon as possible and, once again, fully explain everything (in a non-hysterical tone, preferably... I made that mistake once, never again). Like I said, the vast majority of them will make allowances within reason. Honestly, do call and try to find out and fight for your place. You have nothing to lose.

Hope that helps.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending