Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm in need of a new car. I'll be using it to commute, so it needs to be comfortable but should also be capable of trekking out to campsites without complaining - bonus points for a nice big boot with flat-folding seats for tent/drum/border collie storage. I'd also like a decent quality interior if possible with a minimum of nasty cheap plastic.

So far, I'm leaning towards a Ford Focus Titanium (Mk2.5). For just under £8k I can bag a '10 reg one with under 20k miles, but I'm concerned about depreciation with the new model having been around for a bit now.

Also thought about looking at a 1-Series - this would be older, probably 07-08 reg with 35-40k on the clock - and an Audi A3 with similar mileage (probably slightly higher for the same price).

I know there are some motoring enthusiasts on here, so anyone have any thoughts on these re: quality, reliability, residual value? Any suggestions on what else might fit the bill for the price bracket (preferably something that I can afford without stupid mileage).

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    Hi all,

I'm in need of a new car. I'll be using it to commute, so it needs to be comfortable but should also be capable of trekking out to campsites without complaining - bonus points for a nice big boot with flat-folding seats for tent/drum/border collie storage. I'd also like a decent quality interior if possible with a minimum of nasty cheap plastic.

So far, I'm leaning towards a Ford Focus Titanium (Mk2.5). For just under £8k I can bag a '10 reg one with under 20k miles, but I'm concerned about depreciation with the new model having been around for a bit now.

Also thought about looking at a 1-Series - this would be older, probably 07-08 reg with 35-40k on the clock - and an Audi A3 with similar mileage (probably slightly higher for the same price).

I know there are some motoring enthusiasts on here, so anyone have any thoughts on these re: quality, reliability, residual value? Any suggestions on what else might fit the bill for the price bracket (preferably something that I can afford without stupid mileage).

Cheers.

I'd go for a nice Skoda Octavia. They're very reliable cars and will keep going forever. And they maintain their value fairly well comparatively.

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01307247975318

You can get a very nice one in your budget like that as well.

ReputationRep:
    MG6 has to be worth a look. Serious amount of kit on them for the outlay and will be about the newest thing you'll get in the hatch range.
    Designed in the UK too so you know it'll be put together properly.
    Owners are reporting very strong reliability.

Older stuff... in the hatch sector it's got to be a 1 series. Must have leather, though as BMW cloth is shockingly bad.
    If you are considering a 1 series, you need to be looking at either a 118i or a 120d. The smaller engines don't offer the economy you'd perhaps hope for as they are being worked hard all the time.

if you want to look away from hatchbacks, there's always the Landrover option.
    A very nice late facelift discovery 2 is well in budget. The TD5 engine will do about 27mpg which is quite good for a big 4x4. Comfort is high, will swallow a lot of stuff (I've just not longed moved house in one!) and visability is great.
    There is a petrol engine option but the fuel economy is down to about 15mpg or about 25mpg on LPG although that will affect insurance in most cases.

Other things to consider, again thinking outside the typical hatchback box - Mid-sized estate cars. BMW 3 series / Mondeo / Subaru forrester all well worth a look.

Insurance wise, the MG will likely be the best on insurance as it's group 4 IIRC, followed by the 1 series.

The only thing I would say against VAG stuff as suggested by the poster above is that they can be a little bit fragile electrically. Also, the 1.9PD diesel is best avoided unless you can find one that's had the fuel filter changed religiously every 20k miles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    The only thing I would say against VAG stuff as suggested by the poster above is that they can be a little bit fragile electrically. Also, the 1.9PD diesel is best avoided unless you can find one that's had the fuel filter changed religiously every 20k miles.
    Ok, to be fair i didn't know of the exact engine.

I was just going for that one as it would give decent mileage with reasonable power. I do bow to your superior knowledge though.

We've had an 03 Octavia(the older 1.8TD) for 8 years now. Nothings gone wrong majorly on it the entire time in the 100,000 miles it's been driven by the family. Guess it can just be luck though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Ok, to be fair i didn't know of the exact engine.

I was just going for that one as it would give decent mileage with reasonable power. I do bow to your superior knowledge though.

We've had an 03 Octavia(the older 1.8TD) for 8 years now. Nothings gone wrong majorly on it the entire time in the 100,000 miles it's been driven by the family. Guess it can just be luck though.
    Not knocking your suggestion at all. Just highlighting some of the pitfalls of that particular generation of VAG products.
    If I wanted that sort of vehicle, I'd certainly consider it. Certain cars just have little things you've got to check out.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a cheaper, used car IMO.

E46 Diesel estates are pretty good, and cheap, go for miles and miles and probably won't depreciate much more than they already have....

ReputationRep:
    Ford Sierra Cosworth 4x4.

Fast, decent boot and space inside, reliable and will appreciate if you keep it in good condition.

For 6-7K you can find one that has been well cared for and if you do the same, it will last.

If you *need* a hatchback this is obviously irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Get a SEAT LEON or a Golf!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)

Fast, decent boot and space inside, reliable and will appreciate if you keep it in good condition.

For 6-7K you can find one that has been well cared for and if you do the same, it will last.

As much as I think thats an awesome idea, OP's mentioned: A3, Focus and a 1 series.

Don't think he's a big car enthusiast lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDV10)
    As much as I think thats an awesome idea, OP's mentioned: A3, Focus and a 1 series.

Don't think he's a big car enthusiast lol
    Yeah I did get that in the end but I thought I'd still throw it out there for the heck of it.

Repping the cossie!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)

They will last? Really?

Reliable?

They're dated old cars now, not overly quick, the only thing they've got going for them is the whole "Ford fanboi" thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    They will last? Really?

Reliable?

They're dated old cars now, not overly quick, the only thing they've got going for them is the whole "Ford fanboi" thing.
    Agreed. No point buying a car like that unless your a Ford enthusiast.

I'm going to go with the usual suggestions: Golf, Audi A3, Focus, Civic,
    1 series is too small imo.
    Can also get a nice A4 or 3 series or C class.
    Or A6, 5 series or E class. If you're up for something a bit bigger.

Also: Buy on condition not millage.

Any now for my silly suggestion: Merc CL 500

http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ge/2?logcode=p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    They will last? Really?

Reliable?

The Cosworth 4x4 is not overly quick? With a 220hp engine that gets you to 60mph in under 7 seconds, that's pretty quick. It will top out at 150mph. In its day it was as fast as the best from Ferrari, the Testarossa.

They are fairly tough old boots and the parts are very cheap and plentiful (over 1.4 million Sierras were sold in the UK and it uses a lot of parts from other models).

If this fails, get a decent condition XR4x4 for under £1000. As fast (if not a little faster) as any modern 2.0 4-cylinder but will handle better and turn more heads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    Hi all,

Cheers.
    It is rarely ever a good idea to buy a BMW when your budget is around £7k or so, especially if you have to look for one that is 6+ years old and done a fair bit of more miles. It will be right at the time when many components will require replacement and BMW parts aren't cheap regardless of where you buy them. Alas even a well-maintained one you will still be needing to fork out money to replace wear and tear items especially suspension and electronics related. While the engine and gearbox of a BMW is generally robust and long lasting, most of the other auxiliaries are like any other car.

Ideally if you want to buy a BMW, you should look for a 120i or 120d at bare minimum otherwise it is simply a poseur BMW.

Another thing to note is BMW interiors isn't all that robust especially in a 1-series and you better hope your Border Collie doesn't soil or scratch anything in there It is somewhat tight on space too.

As for what else to get, there really isn't anything wrong with the Ford Focus, it is a great car with a very well sorted out chassis.

Could also look into a Volvo V50 or C30, both are built upon the same chassis as the Ford Focus. The downside to this is parts tend to be quite expensive.

If you are into driving excitement, could always look into an Alfa Romeo MiTo. Interiors of most Alfa Romeos tend to be rather fragile and this MiTo is no exception. Parts isn't expensive as it shares a lot of parts with a Fiat Punto and an Opel Corsa. The downside to this is space can be tight and you'd probably not want to go camping with this.

The Fiat Bravo is also quite a good car, every bit as good as the Ford Focus and quite well styled. Space isn't fantastic but definitely sufficient. Give it a test drive, it will surprise you especially the 165hp 2.0 Multijet Diesel one.

At your budget and circumstance I'd probably go for a Toyota Auris Hybrid.

ReputationRep:
    I will suggest you Skoda Octavia.

ReputationRep:
    If you need loads of storage it could be too small but if I had £7k right now I'd get an MK5 Golf GTI.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.