Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My firm was UCL ECONOMICS (A*AA with the A* being maths) and insurance was Nottingham (AAA).

My A2 results were:
    Economics A
    Biology B
    Maths B

My Maths grade was 2 UMS off an A*. My Biology grade was because of a 20% coursework that came out as an E (getting it remarked but presuming it wont go up).

What I immediately assumed to do was to resit modules. My Maths modules were mostly high As but C4 was a D. I know if I resit C4, I can definitely make my grade an A overall, and maybe, if I resit c3 also, I can get an A*.

Biology, if my coursework is better, I can get an A. (I was 11 UMS off).

So if I do resit a couple of modules next year instead of going University, I can get AAA, maybe A*AA.

I got a Economics place at Queen Mary through Clearing.

I do not know whether it is worth resitting. I really want to go UCL and think, with a whole year of doing c3 and c4, I can get that A*, but if I cant, my maths grade will have improved anyway. Also, Biology should also go up.

I have rang UCL and asked if they would accept me after doing a resit module year. One person said I will be considered. However some said for courses like economics they expect students to perform in the first sitting. So I wonder, if I do get the A*AA, will it be a pointless endeavour if UCL (and top Econ Unis like it) will reject me anyway.

If UCL reject me or I do not get A* in Maths, I would go Nottingham. Nottingham have said they will consider me if I "resit the necessary modules". On results day, they reiterated this by saying if I email Admissions if applying again, they will give me a place.

But is doing a year out and going Nottingham worth it? Is it much better than Queen Mary in terms of graduate prospects? I know a resit year will be worth it if I managed to go UCL, but seeing as they are most likely to reject me because of the third year, I have Notts, and I wonder if a resit year is worth it to avoid QM and get into Notts for Economics.

I have researched into League tables and QM has been rising, but I dont know if this is short term, and if league tables really represent job prospects and starting salary (the 2 factors that I really consider).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    really why r u complaining about u results. i am sure half of the people in u course did not meet their entry requirement.

ReputationRep:
    I did not complain. My results did not get me into my firm/insurance so I am wondering on what to do next. I stated how close they were to As to emphasise how I will not flop my gap year.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Well, first to be clear you were not 2 ums off A*, A* is received by getting 180/200 in c3+c4, seeing how your C4 was a D, <60ums, you were like AT LEAST 21 ums off from the A* in maths (21 assuming you got 100 in c3, and 59 in c4).

So now that raises a question, for you, will you be able to get those 20+ ums for an A*, do you think you did not work hard enough, made silly mistakes? Or you really pushed yourself to limits? YOu need to think if this is realistic for you, since if you won't get A* in maths at least I doubt UCL will take you in, personally, seeing how you took another year to resit. I am not sure what their requirements are for your course, check it, if its A*AA and you think you won't receive A then I don't know if its even worth it, if you solely think of UCL. And as for nottingham you are right, if you do think that 1 year is worth it, as in you won't feel bad for taking it off (and you obviously shouldn't, I just mean that if you beat yourself about being a bit older or something silly like that) then you should. Its all about how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miyata)
    Well, first to be clear you were not 2 ums off A*, A* is received by getting 180/200 in c3+c4, seeing how your C4 was a D, <60ums, you were like AT LEAST 21 ums off from the A* in maths (21 assuming you got 100 in c3, and 59 in c4).

So now that raises a question, for you, will you be able to get those 20+ ums for an A*, do you think you did not work hard enough, made silly mistakes? Or you really pushed yourself to limits? YOu need to think if this is realistic for you, since if you won't get A* in maths at least I doubt UCL will take you in, personally, seeing how you took another year to resit. I am not sure what their requirements are for your course, check it, if its A*AA and you think you won't receive A then I don't know if its even worth it, if you solely think of UCL. And as for nottingham you are right, if you do think that 1 year is worth it, as in you won't feel bad for taking it off (and you obviously shouldn't, I just mean that if you beat yourself about being a bit older or something silly like that) then you should. Its all about how you feel.
    Sorry, my bad, didn't mean A*. I am guaranteed to get an A in Maths if i resit, maybe not an A*.I was wondering if unis can make my offer higher due to 3 years e.g. ucl telling me to get A*A*A ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dineshn)
    Sorry, my bad, didn't mean A*. I am guaranteed to get an A in Maths if i resit, maybe not an A*.I was wondering if unis can make my offer higher due to 3 years e.g. ucl telling me to get A*A*A ?
    Im not sure UCL likes retakes tbh but if they do theyre most likely to ask for 1 grade higher than their course requirement. Personally id say take the queen mary offer. Its a russel group uni and has a good track record in economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAhmedd)
    Im not sure UCL likes retakes tbh but if they do theyre most likely to ask for 1 grade higher than their course requirement. Personally id say take the queen mary offer. Its a russel group uni and has a good track record in economics.
    Mhm..

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think you should resit the necessary units in Maths and Biology to get an A grade, possibly resit some units in economics to get an A*. i think if you where to get A*AA you would definitely be accepted in Nottingham

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.