The Student Room Group

Why is size 8 deemed the perfect size for a woman?

Im just wondering what the obsession is with being a size 8. Ive seen a lot on here boys saying they wont date woman above a size 8 and girls saying their ideal size is an 8.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with a size 8 or below I think if that's your natural size or you've slimmed down to it that's brilliant and girls look fab as a size 8, but for those of us who are bigger than a size 8 why is it sort of forced upon us to be that size ? there is nothing wrong with being a size 10/12/14 whatever as everybody looks great at different sizes

Ive said before its all dependent on body shape/height a smaller girl will look great as a size 8 but a taller girl would look very underweight equally a girl with a pear shape would look great as a size 12 or what not.

I just feel there is so much pressure on girls now days to be 'perfect' and that the pressure from some of the opposite sex that all us girls should be size 8 adds to this. Im not at all for one minute saying if girls are this size or smaller that's bad as I said every woman suits a different size but what is the obsession from the media and in general that we should ALL be this size.

Am I the only one who feels like this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Size 8 isn't deemed the perfect size for women.

Ask 100 random men what they think and you'll most likely get 60-70 different answers.

Also I think the pressure for girls to look a certain way is coming from other girls and immature boys - not men, and the media you women consume.. as highlighted in that female insecurity thread.

Also I personally think size 8 is overrated. I probably wouldn't be able to tell if a woman is a size 8 if I looked at her anyways.

Also if a girl is like 5'11/6'0. Size 8 would make her really skinny, wouldn't it?

EDIT: When you have bitches like this in society (despite some element of truth), should we really be surprised?

(edited 10 years ago)
Could you give us some examples?
Reply 3
Girls say this crap, not guys. The majority of guys have no clue what size 8 even looks like.
Reply 4
I think those boys who check a girl's clothing label is a huge jerk. Not all size 8's even look the same so how can they tell? I'm short so I look bigger than I am.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly I don't think most guys have a clue about sizes on women (that's clothes and bras). I've been estimated at a size 10 before which is ridiculous (actually a size 14/16 depending on the shop).

So people who say they "won't date above size __ " are better off being ignored.
I think its because size 8 is usually deemed as the hourglass figure...which is the 'perfect' figure..I dont think boys really care that much tho lol
It's like people say a D cup is the perfect breast size. It means nothing without context. Some women look great at a size 8, some look skeletal. It's just an approximation to mean "slim but not skinny".
I prefer thicker girls tbh. Size 12-16ish I guess?
Original post by deborarosa
I think its because size 8 is usually deemed as the hourglass figure...which is the 'perfect' figure..I dont think boys really care that much tho lol

Women can be hourglass at any size really though :dontknow: Size doesn't determine body shape. A girl who's size 8 could be a pearshape or could be straight up and down.

I know a girl who's a size 16 and perfect hourglass. I would kill for her proportions :coma:
I'm a size 8 and I wish I was much smaller but I don't judge other people.
haha its true it all depends on the person Im a size 8 but dont look like a 'typical' size 8 lol.Kim K has a hourglass figure and I dont think shes size 8 too
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Women can be hourglass at any size really though :dontknow: Size doesn't determine body shape. A girl who's size 8 could be a pearshape or could be straight up and down.

I know a girl who's a size 16 and perfect hourglass. I would kill for her proportions :coma:
The only people who seem to think it is are girls themselves!
There are many women who are smaller or bigger than this and still look fine.
Reply 13
Size 6 is ideal
Also classing girl's size and shape by dress size is ridiculous. An 8 can look different every girl. Most women aren't just one size either, it usually depends on the shop... I can be between a 6-12 depending where I go!
Original post by yaboy
Size 6 is ideal

which is a stupid thing to say as what I was saying is every woman is different so how could you state size 6 is ideal!

I just feel like there is far to much pressure on girls to be perfect
Original post by Lollyage
Girls say this crap, not guys. The majority of guys have no clue what size 8 even looks like.

Whilst I agree that "girls say this crap", a lot of guys DO know what a size 8 looks like. Personally, as long as the girl is fit ( as in " in shape",) and healthy then I have no objections towards her size.
size 8 personally makes me look really youthful and desirable on top of my facial beauty. It is not skinny for girls under 5'6. I don't why if they have the opportunity to lose weight and look attractive justify their overweight-ness and call them 'curves' which I think make a woman look scary and intimidating.
So yeah eat fish and veggies and do some yoga and running, and I am sure you would LOVE this size 8 that you don't think is perfect at the moment.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nothepreacher
size 8 personally makes me look really youthful and desirable on top of my facial beauty. It is not skinny for girls under 5'6. I don't why if they have the opportunity to lose weight and look attractive justify their overweight-ness and call them 'curves' which I think make a woman look scary and intimidating.
So yeah eat fish and veggies and do some yoga and running, and I am sure you would LOVE this size 8 that you don't think is perfect at the moment.

im actually a 5ft 11 and a size 6 on my top half and a 10 on my bottom, I wasn't slagging of a size 8 I was just stating that some woman look better bigger or even smaller than an 8 and shouldn't feel that they need to be smaller or bigger to look good. i.e when i was a size 8 I had a BMI of 17 and was chronically underweight I was trying to point out that many people are ignorant to different body types and heights and just assume all woman are the same and should be the same size. Im not overweight I wasn't asking for advice on my weight im a normal weight for a person whose nearly 6ft you missed the point of my post.......
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by SillyMilly
Im just wondering what the obsession is with being a size 8. Ive seen a lot on here boys saying they wont date woman above a size 8 and girls saying their ideal size is an 8.

I can't speak for other guys, but I personally have no clue how this sizing system works or what it means - I wouldn't get too worked up about it. I don't think a lot of guys really care.

There are ways to define the "perfect" body to have, and perhaps if clothing size systems have a size that is near to that then it could be a way to measure it, but I don't think people actually give much consideration to the clothing size itself.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending