Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What too expect going into year 10? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so i'm going into year 10 in September and i'm wondering what to expect in terms of homework, exams, work, revision and coursework. The options that I have chosen are;

Triple Science

DT product design

Business Studies along with all the compulsory lessons.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on your individual school! I didn't get much homework really! You'll start a bit of coursework but nothing too serious!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If i'm completely honest there isn't much difference, I found the transition between year 9 and year 10 to be really smooth if you stay on top of everything! Work ethic is pretty important, it's pretty clear to see how much of a difference your grades have depending on how you enjoy the subject.

Getting my results in 5 days, predicted A*AAABBBBCC.

Good luck for the future!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, live a happy year 10 life man

before reforms kick in.

ReputationRep:
    gcses aren't that hard, don't worry too much. just do your homework and have a good schedule and you'll be fine.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs aren't that bad, just work hard and don't **** around too much. You won't get that much homework compared to higher levels of education. Not that much different from year 9.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Compared to year 9, Y10 was a breeze for me. Everyone said it was when 'work got hard' but I found it easier and more relaxing, and found myself with pretty much a free year.

Big mistake.

When people say you get a lot of work in year 10, it is because you should be putting in the effort and choosing to set yourself work and do it. I now regret wasting year 10, and my GCSEs have suffered because of it. Year 10 is when you start gaining independence, and is when it is crucial for you to take an active part in your education, unlike what I did.

tl;dr - GCSEs are as hard as you make them, the more you put in the more you get out.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine, keep on top of your coursework and revise

ReputationRep:
    Very well put BenAssirati. Honestly year 10 is nothing to be worried about. GCSEs are mostly about regurgitating information which means that as long as you have good revision techniques and a decent memory, you'll be fine! As for the homework, I was expecting much more but as I figured out half way through the year, it's about the effort you put into it; you could finish it in 20 minutes or 1 hours (a day) it's up to you. The end of year exams were, as expected, much harder than in year 9 but it's down to revision and how much time you leave for it before the exams.

DON'T DO WHAT I DID and work yourself too hard because, although it paid off (best in the year and a scholarship), I threw my entire social life down the drain

ReputationRep:
    Year 10 is a lot better than year 9 (in my opinion) because you no longer have to do as many subjects that you may dislike. The only thing I'd say is keep on top of controlled assessments because you don't want to have to re-do them in year 11 when you need to be revising for exams. You might also want to start making resources for revision (e.g revision cards, mind maps, notes) to help you in year 11. I didn't do this but I wish I had because it would've saved time in year 11 and would've made life easier.

ReputationRep:
    Year 10 is different to year 9 - you're taking the subjects you enjoy and are good at but obviously there is more pressure because you are starting your exams and things. Just make sure you keep on top of things - try not to procrastinate too much. If you have year 10 exams revise really well and make really good notes because then you can use them next year. Be really organised as well - if you have to remake all your notes it is such a pain so put your notes at home once you have done a topic rather than losing all your work at school! Good luck - year 10 is fine!

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you stay on top of your work from day 1. You will be fine as long as you revise, past papers are great especially for science as the pattern you see helps you pick up the marks. Some of my friends flew through the first exams without revising getting A*s but were over confident and ended up with B's at the end of year 10 which made it difficult for them this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iceman5363)
    Okay so i'm going into year 10 in September and i'm wondering what to expect in terms of homework, exams, work, revision and coursework. The options that I have chosen are;

Triple Science

DT product design

Business Studies along with all the compulsory lessons.
    Ooooooooh I'm in to Year 10 too!!! Except I'm moving schools so its a thousand times more difficult for me. And I'm choosing my options again (Geog, History, Drama, and Business). I'm so nervous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JanitaTwain)
    Ooooooooh I'm in to Year 10 too!!! Except I'm moving schools so its a thousand times more difficult for me. And I'm choosing my options again (Geog, History, Drama, and Business). I'm so nervous!
    Good luck with your new school

ReputationRep:
    Just keep on top of coursework, revision for any exams you're taking this year and make sure you keep to those DT deadlines. Might want to start getting a revision routine/homework routine in place so you're ready for Year 11

Most importantly though, just relax and make sure to have fun too! It's not all about work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iceman5363)
    Good luck with your new school
    Thanks, judging my past experiences I definitely need it. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Join the yr 10 thread!! :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilo98)
    Join the yr 10 thread!! :fuhrer:
    Ahh, were is it? Send me the link?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, were is it? Send me the link?
    There you go

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post44046831

ReputationRep:
    thanks i'm there but no one is replying

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.