Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I could actually really do with some advice right now. I'm seventeen and I've failed my A levels due to many problems I was facing this year. I got three U's in Chemistry, Biology, and Psychology, along with a C in English Language. My ambition is to study Optometry but I feel so let down because the sixth form has told me that I can no longer study there due to failing, even if I resat. I have called around to many sixth forms and colleges, all of which are full on the Chemistry and Biology courses. I want to know if whether there's a way I can study Optometry by retaking the year, doing different subjects? If there's some sort of foundation year or something I can do after my A levels which will allows me to study the course I want. I feel as if my dream has come to an end, all due to one year. Too much has gone on and it looks like it's too late for any college to allow me re-sit Chemistry and Biology. I'm trying my best to find an alternative route, but feel so stuck. Help. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Right, I'm not sure if there are other subjects that would let you study optometry at uni. It's worth doing a through research first. Maybe there's single courses out there that would enable you to study optometry? Keep researching, and phone places for advice etc. Sorry if I wasn't helpful. Believe in yourself and don't give up. Let me know if you succeed!

ReputationRep:
    First you have to analyse the reasons why you got UUUC. If it is really a one off, I think you have keep on looking for a college or sixth form to resit your A-levels.
    Foundation courses for Health related subjects generally need 160-180 UCAS points.
    Access courses may not accept you because you are not over 19
    For Optometry at uni, you definitely need A/B in Biology plus A/B in another hard science subject
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Qualified dispenser here.

Sorry to hear about your results. Must be a pickle.

There's a way to become an optom without having to resit, but it's honestly not worth it. It's definitely not the easy way.

But for info, the way to that is to get a job as a trainee dispenser then to do the ABDO Dispensing Optician course and then to go to Bradford to do a conversion degree. That would take you at least 6 years. So IMO, it's worth resitting the A Levels and just going to uni to do optometry as-is the standard path.

I would suggest you drop to 3 and focus on them.

I know that having to stay back a year in college/sixth form might seem daunting but it'll be worth it in the long run imo.

Good luck. Happy to answer any Qs.

ReputationRep:
    No point just give up

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.