Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We've had a few months off now and I recently saw a facebook status from a coursemate about having been studying/reading up about next semester's work. I thought it was a one off and ignored it but have since heard a few others saying they are doing something similar eg. looking over the anatomy/borrowing notes from someone in the year above/ reading up topics in physiology textbooks etc.

I have done NOTHING. This has worried me slightly as uni is soon to start and im busy right until we start with the exception of the odd day or two. Should i be worried? What is the general consensus, do people read ahead in the summers? Do i simply have to find time from somewhere or can I just turn up on the first day of second year knowing nothing?

ReputationRep:
    You should feel good that you had a good and busy summer whilst your friends are frittering away their lives doing work all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done any yet but I'll do a bit before next semester starts- it's still six weeks away. Next semester's modules are a continuation of last semester's so I don't plan on reading ahead but I'd like to read over some of last year's anatomy, physiology and pharmacology before going back since I've probably forgotten a lot.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yes in the sense that I'm doing work I should have done last year.

I've never ever studied over the summer for the upcoming year :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because i have resits (from not doing enough of the aforementioned work...)

It is pointless working over summer. There is more than enough time to work during the semester so don't get worked up over it.

ReputationRep:
    I planned to. Does that count?

ReputationRep:
    No, and I haven't ever heard of anyone doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Haha oh dear god no!! I have plenty of term time to be doing work
    • PS Reviewer

(Original post by Medicine Man)
    I planned to. Does that count?
    This happens with me every year.

This year, I had planned to go through my anatomy and practice my suturing on some oranges and bananas. Neither has materialised. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I've heard people actually advising against it. They said: "Enjoy your last summer of freedom, celebrate your exam results and just have a break!"
    When you think about the work you'll have to do in future, that makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    Nope did about 2 days worth got really bored and went back to enjoying summer/work probs going to do some more in one of the last weeks just so I'm slightly fresh for the start of the season. Not going to pre-revise though thats for nerds :P
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Haha, no. I moved all my folders from the shelf and into a box though, that definitely counts as something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Yes, because i have resits (from not doing enough of the aforementioned work...)
    as Gozatron... would not have done anything otherwise. exams are done now and I have lots to do other than study before I go back at the end of September.

one of my pals has been so bored she started reading genetics stuff as that is our first module when we go back... oaft...

ReputationRep:
    I am still behind in my reading for neuro I was meant to do in the summer of 2006-2007.

ReputationRep:
    OMG no! Please don't. As someone mentioned, there is more than plenty of time to study during term time! And enjoy your time off! The summer holiday gets shorter and shorter and seriously, there is more to life than medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DolSnow)
    I've heard people actually advising against it. They said: "Enjoy your last summer of freedom, celebrate your exam results and just have a break!"
    When you think about the work you'll have to do in future, that makes sense!
    this is for the summers during medical school not before even starting..

anyway, thanks for the replies everyone and yeah I don't think i'll bother seeing as its not really feasible for me anyway. It does make me feel a tad guilty though as I know how hard it was at times this year especially the pre-exam revision stress when every extra day of revision counts. Oh well... looks like ill have to go through it all over again this year!

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I'll leave that for the gunners.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting clinicals in September, so the week before I start I'll be looking up the relevant work to prevent looking like an idiot on the wards.

ReputationRep:
    No. We go back in like a week and a bit and I'm still burned out from exams last month.

ReputationRep:
    god no

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.